Page 18 of 18 [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 7:29 am

dorkseid wrote:
I have a gym membership. But they want to charge me $500/month to teach me how use the equipment and lift weights, and I can't afford that. And if I try to do that without knowing the proper way I could seriously injure myself.

This is not a valid excuse. You don't need to solve all problems by throwing money at them. There are bodyweight HIIT workouts you can do literally in 15 minutes and without any equipment. My daily minimal workout is about 10 minutes, some warmup and stretching mostly to avoid injury and intense burpees.

I don't have a gym membership and never paid a penny to learn how to use equipment and lift weights. I've never even used any gym equipment except squat rack and press bench.

Before lockdown I would go to a local gym twice a week to use their squat rack for like 10-15 minutes, at first I paid per visit, but they didn't feel comfortable charging me for 10 minutes and just let me use it for free when we got to know each other.

Now in addition to my daily workout I commute on my my dirt cheap bike and take longer rides couple times a week as my aerobic/endurance training and workout with kettlebells I bought for less than $30 each as strength training.

If I take into account increased brain power, productivity and motivation my exercise literally contributes into my income and saves me a lot of money. I exercise because I can't afford to be depressed and unproductive.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 5:15 pm

None of that is relevant because I have no idea how to do any of it.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 6:05 pm

@ Hurtloam:

It's not so much confidence as not caring what others think.

I would imagine that Dorkseid, being a straight dude, cares what women think. The crux of the matter isn't "confidence," but learning to relax and not be so anxious in the presence of the opposite sex. That's hard to do when you're suffering from anxiety and depression.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 6:26 pm

Go on the treadmill and walk for half an hour at 3 mph. You don't have to start at an intense level.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 4:37 am

dorkseid wrote:
None of that is relevant because I have no idea how to do any of it.

All of that is relevant because you can learn how to do it in like 15 minutes watching videos. And then you can gradually master your skills, increasing intensity and/or volume and/or variety as you feel more comfortable and confident.

You can start with learning how to warmup before any exercise. And with doing only one full body exercise, like burpees. For mental strength benefits you don't really need anything more.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 4:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Go on the treadmill and walk for half an hour at 3 mph. You don't have to start at an intense level.

He said he's walking several miles a day. Treadmill actually could be dangerous for absolute beginner, if you trip or just panic and press wrong button you can fall even at 3mph, stationary bike or elliptical don't have this problem.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 7:39 am

Keep on walking that several miles a day----every day. Just increase the intensity a bit per week. And maybe increase the distance by 5 minutes per day. It's better to do things in slow increments, rather than "go all out."

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 7:54 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Keep on walking that several miles a day----every day. Just increase the intensity a bit per week. And maybe increase the distance by 5 minutes per day. It's better to do things in slow increments, rather than "go all out."

He's already walking several miles, and this is great. There is no need to increase intensity of his walking. What he needs is to to add some deliberate higher intensity physical activity to trigger beneficial processes in his body/brain. Moderate to high intensity exercise is required to overcome depressive symptoms. Doing 1-2 minutes of high intensity exercise in addition to walking is not "go all out", these things are complementary, not mutually exclusive.

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2021, 4:11 am

badRobot wrote:
dorkseid wrote:
I have a gym membership. But they want to charge me $500/month to teach me how use the equipment and lift weights, and I can't afford that. And if I try to do that without knowing the proper way I could seriously injure myself.

This is not a valid excuse. You don't need to solve all problems by throwing money at them. There are bodyweight HIIT workouts you can do literally in 15 minutes and without any equipment. My daily minimal workout is about 10 minutes, some warmup and stretching mostly to avoid injury and intense burpees.

I don't have a gym membership and never paid a penny to learn how to use equipment and lift weights. I've never even used any gym equipment except squat rack and press bench.

Before lockdown I would go to a local gym twice a week to use their squat rack for like 10-15 minutes, at first I paid per visit, but they didn't feel comfortable charging me for 10 minutes and just let me use it for free when we got to know each other.

Now in addition to my daily workout I commute on my my dirt cheap bike and take longer rides couple times a week as my aerobic/endurance training and workout with kettlebells I bought for less than $30 each as strength training.

If I take into account increased brain power, productivity and motivation my exercise literally contributes into my income and saves me a lot of money. I exercise because I can't afford to be depressed and unproductive.

I'm going to print out badrobot's answer and try to live by it. it's a very refreshing look. OP's concerns are very real and legitimate and I don't want to minimize them though

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 7:31 pm

badRobot wrote:

This is why employers of high paced, intellectually challenging companies like to offer either a gym on-site or a gym membership. It's an investment in productivity.