I feel like a terrible person and a disgrace to WP. Goodbye

Page 9 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jun 2021, 7:58 am

Didn't see it so I don't know why she moved it - we're not all on here 24/7. PM and ask her.

We welcome diverse opinions by the way, and have no issue with them as long as within the rules.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:02 am

Oh geez. Arguing with mods and administrators is not likely to have a satisfying outcome.

I will mention that I think telling salad what he needs to do for coping seems a little intrusive. Salad, I support you, and you choose whatever method of coping makes sense to you. You're obviously pretty intelligent, so I trust that you can make good choices all on your own. Your decision to seek PTSD therapy is proof of that. Asking here (in another thread) for honest feedback is another good step.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:09 am

My anxiety is through the roof after seeing a live in flesh bear that approached me while I was outside the hotel. I kid you not. Luckily the bear just saw me, then left

The second thing was my nightmare tonight. Just a flashback from Palestine I'd rather not share since id rather not disturb anyone here with bad imagery

Luckily the hotel I'm at has a pool and fitness center to help calm me down. I couldn't use it last night since it closed after 10 buy now its open

Master Oogway

salad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:14 am

magz wrote:
^ seconded

Your fiancee deserves to know what the problem is so she has a clear picture of the situation. It's something completely different from expecting her to carry your burden. Give her just the knowledge, without any expectations attached. She probably already knows but it's better to have it clear.
Being honest to each other is a great foundation for living together and facing all future problems as a team.

I grew up in masking and denial culture - btw, also war-influenced but in earlier generations. Finding out my husband was simply honest opened a whole new world to me. Learning to be honest myself was a new life.

Then tonight while she's sleeping and I'm inevitably awake unable to sleep I will draft her a message openly confessing what I've been trying to hide from her

This feels terrifying but it has to be done I suppose

Master Oogway

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:19 am

salad wrote:
Then tonight while she's sleeping and I'm inevitably awake unable to sleep I will draft her a message openly confessing what I've been trying to hide from her

This feels terrifying but it has to be done I suppose

Please pick a better moment for writing or read it again when you are at better place mentally before you show it to her. It is painful to reread stuff I used to write to my ex when I couldn't sleep and was bummed out. It's like it's written by a different person whom I don't like.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jun 2021, 8:25 am

salad wrote:
My anxiety is through the roof after seeing a live in flesh bear that approached me while I was outside the hotel. I kid you not. Luckily the bear just saw me, then left

The second thing was my nightmare tonight. Just a flashback from Palestine I'd rather not share since id rather not disturb anyone here with bad imagery

Luckily the hotel I'm at has a pool and fitness center to help calm me down. I couldn't use it last night since it closed after 10 buy now its open

Wow. A bear! Probably wasn't interested in you, trash can is an easier target.

I'd love to have access to a swimming pool today! Get back to us after a few lengths!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:27 am

Nine pages? This is a rather long goodbye.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jun 2021, 8:30 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

Shush!
The reasons given in the OP have been determined invalid.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

salad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:43 am

Fiancee is currently changing and we will be out hiking again very shortly. In the meantime if anyone here on WP has suggestions for how I should draft my letter explaining to her what I'm dealing with please do share so that when I come back at night to my hotel and check WP I'll have some ideas on how to draft my letter

Master Oogway

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:52 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

I think it's reached the welcome back portion of it's arc.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jun 2021, 9:16 am

^ Seconded, FXE!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 11:18 am

To be honest, I feel it’s better to tell it than to write it. It’s better to see a person’s face and hear a person’s voice. It just seems more sincere that way.

But if you want to write a letter, keep it as simple but as honest as possible. And assure her you won’t fly off the handle at a moment’s notice.

I’m not really good at letters, unless I feel compelled.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 1:11 pm

I don't know if you want info about trauma, general advice, examples of how I deal with C-PTSD in my relationship, or just support. I hope at least some of this will help.

Info about trauma:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... nship-ptsd

General advice:

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-co ... sd-2797491

https://www.verywellmind.com/disclosing ... is-2797499

What I Did:

I told my boyfriend on our first date that I had Autism and C-PTSD. I didn't give the particulars of my trauma except to say I had been in trauma therapy for almost 11 years at that point. He told me that he has Acute PTSD, and he didn't give many details either. We both just wanted to break the ice in a non-threatening way. It took several months of conversations and various steps of disclosure until I had told him my full story. I was terrified of being judged or alienating him. I also have a very difficult time with interpersonal relationships because of my damaged self-concept, which is a hallmark of C-PTSD. He is the only person apart from my first therapist and the court of law, who know exactly what happened for me. The process of sharing made me extremely vulnerable. I was scared I'd form a trauma bond and become too dependent on him, or that I'd love him for knowing -- instead of loving him authentically for who he is overall. My disclosures are still unfolding because we get very limited time together as a result of Covid.

I won't sugar coat it. It's a lot of work balancing a relationship where both parties have PTSD from violence and victimisation. He and I have different stories and different triggers. I tend to have "emotional flashbacks" (unexpected volatile reactions caused by feeling an emotion or sensation similar to those I felt during trauma), and he tends to have "visual flashbacks" (picturing or hearing the memory more literally). We're both mindful of each other's potential triggers, and we are still learning how to support each other through the dark days. What works for one of us does not necessarily work for the other. Some of our needs are in contrast, meaning that the support he needs sometimes triggers me - and vice versa.

Support for you:

Chances are your fiancée knows you have PTSD. You have survived the loss of your mother, the suicides of your cousins, physical assault and battery, plus the horrors of your Palestinian experiences. I think she is drawn to you because you both have lived such traumatic lives. The discussion of PTSD will evolve naturally for you both as you get to know each other's story in more detail. There's no need to rush or to force the issue, but do assure her that you are committed to the relationship and that you are seeking help. Reassure her that you're there for her when she needs support as well, and that way you will begin a two-way dialogue about the topic. Perhaps you could seek therapists together? I don't necessarily mean the same therapist, but you could help each other look for resources. I imagine there are mental health programs for refugees and victims of war or violence, where you live. Given your recent injuries and her recent PTSD episode, it should be easy to inquire with the hospital about trauma-related social services.

Best wishes and virtual hugs to you both.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 1:19 pm

Excellent advice. Let everything evolve and "fall into place."

I would say, verbally, that you will "be there for her" no matter what. But if you want to put it in a letter, then I guess that's all right, too.

But saying it verbally is better, in my opinion.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 2:48 pm

I believe it likely your fiancée will be understanding of your PTSD issues.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 2:57 pm

Just don't overwhelm your fiancee with an emotional load! Maybe open the topic briefly, and it can be returned to many times as you support each other.