Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

LoopTurner
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2021, 7:04 pm

Hey,
Just wanted to semi introduce myself, I've posted on message boards probably only a handful of times in my life (very introverted/concerned with proper internet etiquette and whatnot). I was just officially diagnosed last week with level 1 ASD after trying to navigate my health insurance for a provider that does testing.
I'm 32 in NJ and am interested in board/video games, rock (pop punk ingrained in me), and dark comedies. I work at a craft store (hence the inspiration for the username, every time I order freight I come across that item in the sewing department and think "This would make a great generic action movie character name." Not that I'm equating myself with an action hero, unless that action is heroically binge watching Arrested Development while thinking "later I should try and paint some miniatures... eventually.)

Oh, also, I abuse parentheticals (a lot)

Feel free to go with Loop for now if you'd like to address me, I may adjust depending on if the comfort of being myself overtakes the comfort of anonymity.

I probably had some other points I was going to mention, but I got a bit sidetracked on the tangents (oddly enough, my ADHD TOVA test came back negative).

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 7:58 pm

Welcome to WP! (And that is not "semi welcome" that's "fully welcome"!) I think you'll like it here.

And I'm sort of new to the Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild) world, too. I was diagnosed at age 64. By the time I'd been able to tell my immediate family in person, and get past holiday season, and tax season, it was surgery season (I'm old)--and then came the Pandemic. So me and my Diagnosis have not gone out together much, yet.

But I also had an adventure with my insurance provider. I think they wanted to help, they just didn't know anything about Adult Autism Assessments and gave bad referrals and bad advice.

TomBarclay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jun 2021, 10:31 pm

Welcome to WP, keep coming back :)

Cat-q=111

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 2:54 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 4:29 am

welcome glad you are with us. I was given formal diagnosis about a year and a half ago. I lived a very long life before I discovered autism and learned how it had worked in everything for so long without anybody ever knowing or understanding. What a relief to see things from this new perspective. I will be 70 this year, there is a lot to unravel and to look at from this new perspective! You are not alone!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 4:33 pm

Hi and a warm welcome to you, Loop :). Love that you work in a crafts store! I’m very into crafts, miniatures, seeing, train layouts(thanks to MG!, a fellow WP poster). Congrats on receiving a formal diagnosis. I hope you’re coming to terms with this and that you’re coping alright.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 5:16 am

Welcome

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 5:20 am

How did you go about getting diagnosed? I'm also in New Jersey, but can't find a place to get an official diagnosis as an adult.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 5:55 am

Hello and welcome to Wrong Planet.

LoopTurner
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jun 2021, 6:18 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
How did you go about getting diagnosed? I'm also in New Jersey, but can't find a place to get an official diagnosis as an adult.

I used Psychology Today's website to search for places that offered Psychological Testing and Evaluation and then contacted a couple places through their messaging system to see if they offered it. I'm from South Jersey, so specifically I used A-Z Psychological Services in Mullica Hill.

Also, thanks everyone for the welcomes.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:16 pm

Welcome! I am new to this site myself. This site helps me feel less alone, and I’m glad to see new people actively joining.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:26 pm

Welcome, LoopTurner! I like board games too.

LoopTurner
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jun 2021, 12:10 am

Fenn wrote:
Welcome, LoopTurner! I like board games too.

What type/ which ones are you interested in?