Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

CTCD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2007, 12:13 am

This is mature and I need help with this.

Just a few minutes ago I noticed something awful. There's a bump on my right breast and I'm scared out of my wits that I may have breast cancer or somthing like that. It doesn't feel like anything suprisingly and it's softish, I wouldn't have even noticed it if I haden't felt it and it's almost inposible to see unless you know to look for a lump or feel it.

I don't want to get freaked out about it being cancer when it could be something else. Unfortunatly it's almost 1:00 in the morning and everyone is a sleep. I'm 16 and hopefully you guys can understand how difficult it's like to tell your parents you have a lump on your boob.

Also can anyone give me some pointer to it possible being anything else?

I'm insanely scared of the idea of getting cancer and going through all those things they do when I'm still a teenager and the risk of dying.

I honestly don't know what to think.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 3:17 am

You need to relax--the vast majority of all 'growths' are non-cancerous. In fact, it's most likely just a cyst or something. Also, at your age, the chance of you having breast cancer is astronomical... your breasts aren't even fully develped yet. And finally, even if it is cancer (which it isn't), you'd be better off to get it diagnosed now than later.

If you don't want to tell your parents, is there a walk-in clinic or something you can go to? Or another relative/aquaintance you can get to help you? Or you can just tell your parents you're not feeling well without being specific about what's bothering you, and then just confide in your doctor. They are required to keep patient confidentiality.

Good luck! I'm sure you will be fine. :)

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 9:38 am

Hi,

So sorry to hear about this. The best thing you can do is make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.

I know it's the weekend, so you might have to wait a day or two before you can see a medical practitioner, but even if it is cancer (and hopefully it is not) having to wait a couple of days will not have any significant negative effect.

But the priority is to see a doctor as soon as you can and ask that he or she refers you for the required tests as soon as possible.

And I have heard many doctors say that 9 out of 10 lumps are NOT breast cancer, so please try not to fear the worst.

Good luck, I wish you well.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

22 Jul 2007, 12:37 pm

Yeah.. might just be a growing thing. I used to have really lumpy breasts when I was in teen-dom. They've softened up now, but I had a proper obsession with cancer back then and it scared me a lot. But I didn't do anything about it. But you should probably check it with a doctor anyway.