Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 2:37 am

England has had mass flooding. Two days ago I witnessed the worst rain storm I think I've ever seen in my life. I was on the underground when it started. I was travelling on the overground part and the train started to leak. Then when I was on the bus, the bus itself flooded three times. The River Wandle nearly burst its banks (don't know about the Thames - didn't see it on that day) and many roads that my bus travelled on had been turned into small rivers themselves! My garden flooded and the drain systems comitted suicide. You couldn't actually see a thing through the rain - it was dark because of the rain. Purley and Stratford-Upon-Avon had 1-2 metres of rain.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

22 Jul 2007, 2:50 am

That's rain even Sophie would dislike! Grab a pair of earplugs/MP3 Player, turn on the heater, wrap up in blankets and stay warm!

Hope all goes well. :)

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jul 2007, 2:59 am

global warming i suppose, many math models did say rain would result in many dryer or cooler climates, not that i always beleive the experts.

I have seen some crazy weather, and I have an excellent memory, i was born in 1982 and remember from 1985-currently, and odd weather would strike me as odd in the past and I know I would have remembered it. Because the weather is boobytrapped with feedback loops and whatnot, weather will, at a certain tipping point, change, and become noticibly worse (supposedly) and I think during the last 4-5 years, we have hit a tipping point, and the weather over the few ears seems to reinforce itself, strengthins some aspects of it, i cant really put it in words well but I have never seen as much snow as I had a few years back, nor as much rain, nor as much heat, all occuring during a relativly short period of time, relative to climate timescales...

anybody else see it this way??? or is it just mee???

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 3:30 am

Yes, we've had awful weather this summer, so much rain! I've never known a summer like it. Luckily the part of Wales wherer I live we've not hads flooding but south Wales and parts of England have been badly affected.
I've been thinking that it must be global warming too as they predicted it would become wetter, windier, and warmer winters, for this part of the world anyway, and we've certainly had those.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 3:33 am

SteelMaiden wrote:
England has had mass flooding. Two days ago I witnessed the worst rain storm I think I've ever seen in my life. I was on the underground when it started. I was travelling on the overground part and the train started to leak. Then when I was on the bus, the bus itself flooded three times. The River Wandle nearly burst its banks (don't know about the Thames - didn't see it on that day) and many roads that my bus travelled on had been turned into small rivers themselves! My garden flooded and the drain systems comitted suicide. You couldn't actually see a thing through the rain - it was dark because of the rain. Purley and Stratford-Upon-Avon had 1-2 metres of rain.

River Wandle? I live nr. Wandsworth/Clapham. My nearest high street many of the shops where closed. Even the ones that were open couldn't get stock because that basements were flooded. It is weird after it was belting down for a long time it cleared up and was sunny. That is when I went out and saw the aftermath. Quite a bit of mud. There was some road works where they dug a hole. It looked like there was a swimming pool in the middle of the road.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 3:46 am

I live in Birmingham and there has been one or two minor roads blocked here because of flooding.

I don't mind the rain but it's the chaos it causes with everyone deciding to use their cars, or running about in all directions without looking, it really stresses me out.

You would think rain would make everyone stay at home not jump in their cars.

I had a stressful day on friday getting home from work.

:(

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 4:14 am

Cruel, cruel summer eh?

We had some unusual flooding in the Eastern states last month (winter here), the kind they refer to as a 1 in 100 years event, a bridge was torn away by the force of swollen rivers, unfortunately for the occupants was a car travelling on it. Other than that it's drought, as usual.

Flake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2007, 4:40 am

best summer ever

Mr_Winston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2007, 5:23 am

My flat little town is somewhat sodden this morning.

More to come by all accounts, and we haven't recieved all the water from up river yet.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 5:34 am

Wheather was crazy also in our country two days ago. The day was hot and sultry and in the evening a veritable hell on the earth metaphorically saying, broke out. I had an occasion to observe one of the most torrential tempests during the last few years. The lightenings were brightening up the sky time after time. Yesterday I saw in TV really apocalyptic images - several villages vere destroyed by whirlwind (even though somebody could say it's very unusual - a whirlwind in Poland). Nobody was killed there but 7 people were injured, including a man who got a heart atack.

ExeterChris
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2007, 6:54 am

My greenhouse and the bottom of of garden flood. There's a stream at the bottom of my garden which is normally dry in summer, but was flowing faster than I've ever seen.
Houses at the other end of the village were under two feet of water.
It took an hour to do eight miles on my way home from work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6909869.stm
Pictures 1-3 are my village.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 9:39 am

Mr_Winston wrote:

More to come by all accounts, and we haven't recieved all the water from up river yet.

oh, I am so sorry about your little flat! I got flooded out by just the plumbing upstairs coming unjointed and deluging my apartment, and know how disrupting that is! I can't imagine having a natural disaster happening for everyone in your building! My thoughts of compassion go out to you, Mr. Winston!

Merle

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 9:41 am

Dear all,

I am so sorry to hear that some of you have had problems with flooding. There have been flooding problems near me, but so far I have been fortunate enough that my town has escaped.

I really hope that things get better for all of you, I'm so sorry that you have become victims of this terrible weather.

Take care and be safe.

Girl7000

Mr_Winston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2007, 11:17 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Mr_Winston wrote:

oh, I am so sorry about your little flat! I got flooded out by just the plumbing upstairs coming unjointed and deluging my apartment, and know how disrupting that is! I can't imagine having a natural disaster happening for everyone in your building! My thoughts of compassion go out to you, Mr. Winston!

Merle

Don't worry too much. :) I meant that the town that I live in lies on very flat ground along a river and therefore the town in general is very wet. Thankfully my home has escaped the worst of it, although the garden and garage are flooded under half foot or so of water, though I can't hold out any gaurentees of it staying that way for the next couple of days. :( I took a walk into the town itself earlier though and it is quite awful. :(

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Jul 2007, 11:59 am

it finally started raining here yesterday, im so releaved. it ruled and now im in love with rainstorms :D

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 2:23 pm

What's funny is that it has been raining a lot here in Seattle, but where I used to live in New York they have been in desperate need of rain.

I don't know if it has rained there recently, though!