I have a comment on everyone has ASD.

Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:44 am

FranzOren wrote:
I feel upset by what you said, because I had to work ten times harder to develop social skills, because of my history of developmental delay. I can disclose diagnosis of my ASD diagnosis if I wanted to.

I am sorry that I am upset, it's just I have been through a lot, because of my history of communication delays from my early childhood.

Don't get upset, I am trying to understand, I also have a 16 yr old daughter who also had a history of communication delays.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:46 am

FranzOren wrote:
I still need to meet my IEP goals when it comes to my lack of social-emotional reciprocity as well.

Can you give me an example where you are unable to reciprocate social emotions? is it in conversation or when you first meet a person?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:49 am

In my IEP report, it said that I rarely ask questions related to the school subject and I tend to be off topic.

The rest of my issues of social skills are just self-reports from myself.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:52 am

cyberdad wrote:
FranzOren wrote:
I feel upset by what you said, because I had to work ten times harder to develop social skills, because of my history of developmental delay. I can disclose diagnosis of my ASD diagnosis if I wanted to.

I am sorry that I am upset, it's just I have been through a lot, because of my history of communication delays from my early childhood.

Don't get upset, I am trying to understand, I also have a 16 yr old daughter who also had a history of communication delays.

I am sorry that I got very upset, I now understand that you meant no harm and are trying to understand me, it's just your question made me upset at first. I am sorry for miscommunication.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:54 am

My-self reports are is that I most of the time have hard time understanding some context of what people are talking about when I try to join their groups.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 6:19 am

FranzOren wrote:
My-self reports are is that I most of the time have hard time understanding some context of what people are talking about when I try to join their groups.

I try and teach my daughter to listen before talking to people in groups. Active listening is the first step if you want to engage with people having a conversation. It will help determine the context.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 7:23 am

Thank you!

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 7:29 am

In both autism and sexuality, when someone says "spectrum", the image that comes to mind is a one-dimensional spectrum like a rainbow. Which is way too simplistic, I agree. It's more like the two-dimensional spectrum some computer programs use to present a choice of colours. (Strugling to think of good examples offhand.) It might even need several dimensions, giving a kind of spectral hyperspace with people located at different points in it....

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2021, 7:33 am

Joe90 wrote:
These days someone has only got to be shy and they get an ASD diagnosis.

Where in the world does that happen? :?:

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2021, 7:40 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Spectrum means something comes in many varied colors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_disorder
Yeah, it is not a line from low- to high-functioning.
People don't even know what the term spectrum refers to. People are confused.

I took the text from this website https://www.psykologiguiden.se/psykolog ... C3%B6rning and put it in google translate:
In English, the term spectrum condition is used almost exclusively for autism spectrum condition, ASC and then as an alternative to autism spectrum disorder, ASD.

Spectrum condition is a word used about similar diagnoses that apply to a wide range of symptoms without sharp boundaries between them (like the colors in a color spectrum). Examples are autism spectrum disorders, schizophrenia spectrum and bipolar spectrum.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:20 pm

^ Thanks, Dandansson, that is interesting!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:55 pm

FranzOren wrote:
The problem is that I never had a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome, I only had a diagnosis of PDD-NOS until 2013. In 2013 I was considered to have ASD.

I am worried that I will feel like a fraud if I tell NTs that I have Asperger Syndrome, because I only have history of being diagnosed with PDD-NOS. It is only in 2013 my diagnosis of PDD-NOS changed to Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I hope you understand my confusion of suptypes of PDDs and why I prefer to say that I have ASD instead.
I agree with you! You don't want to state something as a fact if it might not actually be a fact.

I had the same problem when my bride and I concluded I was a High Functioning Autistic (I know, old term). We both thought it was highly likely but I could not have comfortably told someone I was an HFAS because I was not certain--if I had decided to tell someone I would have felt obligated to explain it was an unverified opinion. I got a formal assessment so I could be comfortable saying it (and to be sure I wasn't giving an untruth).

So, if I am understanding your concern it is that you want to stick to things that are certain (commendable!) but when you tell someone you are Autistic (or have Autism, or however you phrase it) you are concerned that they will immediately assume the worst, that your problems are much worse than they really are.

Two alternatives come to my mind, though I cannot predict how comfortable you would be with them.

(1) That old term: "High Functioning Autism". I don't think it's an official diagnosis, just a description. Now that I am officially diagnosed as Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild) I would be quite comfortable--in casual settings--saying I was a High Functioning Autistic.

or,

(2) Borrow a phrase from Hans Asperger: "A Dash of Autism" (though, he wouldn't have said it in English, would he?). If I think of Autism as being one of my ingredients, I would think there was enough of it in me to make me interesting but not so much as to ruin the recipe.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2021, 2:12 pm

Fenn wrote:
^ Thanks, Dandansson, that is interesting!

yeah it is really good to look up definitions.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 4:51 pm

Thank you! It makes sense.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 5:09 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
In both autism and sexuality, when someone says "spectrum", the image that comes to mind is a one-dimensional spectrum like a rainbow. Which is way too simplistic, I agree. It's more like the two-dimensional spectrum some computer programs use to present a choice of colours. (Strugling to think of good examples offhand.) It might even need several dimensions, giving a kind of spectral hyperspace with people located at different points in it....

That makes sense, It's more a constellation of of traits than a simple linear weighted line. However it tends to be perceived as a sliding scale for simplicity.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 5:13 pm

It does make sense.