Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 11:24 am

Yesterday, I went out to run some errands and happened to wait at the gas station where I catch the bus. While waiting, a cab driver pulled up to get gas while the passenger went inside. When she came out, she asked me if I wanted any food and I said "I'm good," and then asked me a few times "You sure you need help?" I said, "I am fine," I have been taking care of myself for a long time." Not long after, they left again.

Sure she seemed nice but I didn't know her from atom and I was not going to get it from some random stranger who I don't know.

- I was on my way to the grocery store and took a little cooler with me since they charge for shopping carts and grocery bags but I didn't volunteer any of my information

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jun 2021, 11:39 am

If you were briefly standing outside the store, she might have been trying to be nice and assumed you were in need, especially if you're on the skinny side! Similar things have occasionally happened to me. Maybe like me you often wear well worn but comfortable clothing which can also make folk think we might be needy in some way.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 11:54 am

I should have explained to her that I am waiting for the bus since the bus stop is on the side-walk across from the parking lot. As for warn out clothes, I try to dress as nice as possible. Yesterday, I had on a tank top and shorts.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jun 2021, 12:17 pm

Ah OK, yes generally when I go out I dress better than at home. I guess people waiting for buses can occasionally be mistaken for hungry looking loiterers!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 1:30 pm

She seemed really and I didn't have any of those gut feelings, still, I was trying to be careful as there are a lot of people who appear like they want to "Help" but they can have an agenda.

However, I would have never thought about the concept of loitering

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 1:38 am

Maybe you looked lost and/or vulnerable to her. If you look/act young for your age or you were lost in thought, she might have gotten that impression.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 2:07 am

I know it's off topic, but I gotta point out that it's "you didnt know her from Adam" (the first human person on earth according to the Bible). Not "atom" (the tiny things that make up matter, that they split to make atomic bombs). :lol:

But yes...if you act out of place in any way in a public place you liable to get attention.

Well meaning attention, or suspicious attention.