Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 1:21 pm

Of the moon. :lol:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... cna1270219

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 1:24 pm

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 1:55 pm

I got some space lasers for him to do the job.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 2:04 pm

Louis Gohmert, one of the dimmer stars in the firmament.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 2:05 pm

I mean, that suggestion of his was equal in brilliance to Donald Trump suggesting we shoot up with disinfectant.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 2:13 pm

Would they also like a laser satellite that can scratch their asses from orbit?

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 3:12 pm

I believe the comments were taken out of context by the reporter and perhaps political opponents.

Reading the entire article it seems to me the original comment was meant as an example of Reductio ad absurdum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

The purpose of the question from the politician to the representative of the Forest Service was to get an answer to the effect "no there is nothing I can do about the moon's orbit" - effectively saying "and since there is nothing I can do about the moon's orbit it would be a waste of money to give me money to fight global warming."

It is a clever counter measure to play the politician as a fool for having asked the question - the goal of this maneuver is to try to turn the table on the asker of the question. Person A is not a fool for asking for money, person B is a fool for questioning his reason for wanting the money.

Politics has a more than a bit of show business in it. Half of "show business" is "business". The other half is "show".

As one of the WP members says "politics is stupid but important".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 3:51 pm

A video cannot be "taken out of context".  Here is a transcript of Gohmert's exact words:

U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX) wrote:
I understand from what's been testified to the Forest Service and the BLM you want very much to work on the issue of climate change.  I was informed by the immediate past director of NASA that they have found that the moon’s orbit is changing slightly and so is the Earth's orbit around the sun.  And we know there’s been significant solar flare activity.  And so is there anything that the National Forest Service or BLM can do to change the course of the moon's orbit or the Earth’s orbit around the sun?  Obviously that would have profound effects on our climate.
Source:  This Snopes Article 

The man's own words exemplify the cluelessness of the GOP when it comes to matters of science.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 4:37 pm

This is the kind of thing that, were it 4/1, we could get a laugh out of it.

I despair of the level of education now being considered adequate, especially in the sciences.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 4:52 pm

I was considering a reply that might be considered sacrilegious.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 4:54 pm

Rather like Trump and his injection of Clorox treatment for COVID :P

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 6:08 pm

I just watched the video. It is certainly more damning than the quote or the transcript. Apparently (to my eyes and ears) the Rep. Louie Gohmert actually thought this was a reasonable question to ask.

Given that the ideas it not practical, I still thought this treatment of the unworkable idea was interesting:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 8:12 am

More News on Rep. Gohmert 

Texas GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert's campaign gave $5,500 to "ministries" linked to anti-gay, antisemitic preacher Steve Anderson.

Also, Gohmert, of the the Congress's most outspoken Trump allies, uses his speeches to play down the Jan. 6 coup attempt -- as he has done on the House floor -- and even took a photo with a confessed Jan. 6 terrorist.

Here is another article:
 Russian Media Mocks Louie Gohmert's Comments 

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 8:41 am

Gohmert uses sarcasm, wit and science to destroy the propagandists and conspiracy theorists. It's pretty humorous. Thanks for sharing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 8:53 am

Daddy63 wrote:
Gohmert uses sarcasm, wit and science to destroy the propagandists and conspiracy theorists. It's pretty humorous. Thanks for sharing.
Gohmart uses ignorance to destroy his own credibility and the credibility of the entire GOP.

Obviously, he knows nothing about science.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 9:22 am

I'll stick to science and real root cause and effects.

Gohmert even had Ted Lieu suggesting on Twitter that Captain Marvel "can alter planetary orbits with her superpowers" to fix climate change but yeah Gohmert is the ignorant one. LMAO!