Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 9:35 am

Daddy63 wrote:
I'll stick to science and real root cause and effects. Gohmert even had Ted Lieu suggesting on Twitter that Captain Marvel "can alter planetary orbits with her superpowers" to fix climate change but yeah Gohmert is the ignorant one. LMAO!
We already know that you support the party of racists, sexists, and "Screw the poor" wealthy people.

No need to remind us.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 11:47 am

It's hard to even imagine people actually believe superheroes could alter orbits of celestial bodies to save us from the next eco-apocalyptic conspiracy theory. Gohmert calls out the wackadoodles and predictably the idiots question his intellect. Lunacy at its finest.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 1:44 pm

blazingstar wrote:

I despair of the level of education now being considered adequate, especially in the sciences.

I feel the same way as you do. At some point in time, we are going to pay a heavy price for not properly teaching the future generations what science really is. It will be a dawning of a new dark age for humanity.

Many of my students come in thinking the chemistry class that they are about to take is “too hard”. They got that information from others (family and friends) who struggled with the subject. One of the first things I tell them it to forget what they heard about it (bias against), start with a clean mental page and concentrate on what you should be leaning instead. If you put up a mental block from the start, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of being “too hard” to learn. I cannot help those that refuse to give the subject a fair chance from the beginning.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 2:40 pm

Critical thought is no longer taught. Children are simply expected to regurgitate what they are taught and often the facts they are taught are selected by people with political motivations.

True scientific method is also no longer taught at a young age. Children through high school are taught that correlation implies causation, and because most are never taught any critical thinking ability, they don't even question it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 2:42 pm

Everyone KNOWS that it isnt the Bureau of Land Mgmt., nor the Park Service, who do that.

Nor even NASA.

It's the Army Corp of Engineers!

Let the Army Corp do its thing of tweeking the Moon's orbit, and we all can get back to ...shooting disinfectant into arms to prevent COVID. And using bleach enemas to cure autism!
:D

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 2:49 pm

I vote to tell them that yes, it can be done but first we need to stabilise the orbit by loading the GOP onto a rocket to do maintenance on the moon's counterbalance located on the opposite side of the earth to where the moon is right now.

It should keep them busy for a while and I doubt they're bright enough to work out there isn't one.

It is the astrological version of telling the know-it-all new mechanic to change the radiator on a sixties VW beetle (yes, this really has happened).

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 3:34 pm

Lol did he look under the hood for the engine?

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 3:37 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Lol did he look under the hood for the engine?

No but apparently he spent three hours looking for the radiator. Wonder if the GOP could beat that time before realising?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:00 am

Daddy63 wrote:
Critical thought is no longer taught.

It is taught in my classes. I force them to think as a scientist, often for the first time. I also teach them creativity in science. Most of them struggle with those two points. Often they have said that they would love to skip me and go strait to medical school to get a big paycheck. But, that is not the route there. I make them have to earn their grade. Regurgitation might get you a low passing grade (D), but it will not get them the A that they need to move on.

I have been contacted by many former students who are now licensed medical doctors or pharmacists. They have all thanked me for the way I taught them as they survived their programs from using those concepts. They also told me that I taught them more in less time than anyone else. I was able to have them hone their mental skills before they were tested at the higher level. That is how I measure if I teach well or not, by seeing what they do with the information that I teach them.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 12:43 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
It is taught in my classes. I force them to think as a scientist, often for the first time. I also teach them creativity in science. Most of them struggle with those two points. Often they have said that they would love to skip me and go strait to medical school to get a big paycheck. But, that is not the route there. I make them have to earn their grade. Regurgitation might get you a low passing grade (D), but it will not get them the A that they need to move on.

I have been contacted by many former students who are now licensed medical doctors or pharmacists. They have all thanked me for the way I taught them as they survived their programs from using those concepts. They also told me that I taught them more in less time than anyone else. I was able to have them hone their mental skills before they were tested at the higher level. That is how I measure if I teach well or not, by seeing what they do with the information that I teach them.

I love it. It's a shame all students aren't taught critical thinking and from a young age.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 7:51 pm

Daddy63 wrote:
I love it. It's a shame all students aren't taught critical thinking and from a young age.

In the old days a small child's first foray into critical thought was how to weigh up the odds in order to avoid getting smacked by an angry parent. Is this what you mean't?

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 7:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:

In the old days a small child's first foray into critical thought was how to weigh up the odds in order to avoid getting smacked by an angry parent. Is this what you mean't?

Not at all. Critical thinking is process of investigating and challenging an issue/idea/theory. One shouldn't simply make an experts' theories or facts their own but should discover the truth for themselves through real analysis and openminded evaluation.

Beating a child until "facts" as presented by a parent are accepted by the child would be the opposite of that.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 10:22 am

Daddy63 wrote:
I'll stick to science and real root cause and effects.

Gohmert even had Ted Lieu suggesting on Twitter that Captain Marvel "can alter planetary orbits with her superpowers" to fix climate change but yeah Gohmert is the ignorant one. LMAO!

Well, I am glad you will stick to science. Unfortunately, Gohmert does not. He is a climate change denier. The obvious scientific solution to climate change is controlling human activity.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 10:43 am

Jiheisho wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:

Gohmert even had Ted Lieu suggesting on Twitter that Captain Marvel "can alter planetary orbits with her superpowers" to fix climate change but yeah Gohmert is the ignorant one. LMAO!

Well, I am glad you will stick to science. Unfortunately, Gohmert does not. He is a climate change denier. The obvious scientific solution to climate change is controlling human activity.

So you subscribe to Ted Lieu's wackadoodle solution of superheroes changing the orbit of celestial bodies? Seriously?

Does pointing out that many things both natural and human-made affect our climate make one a climate change denier? Critical thinking should lead one to believe otherwise.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 11:10 am

Daddy63 wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:

So you subscribe to Ted Lieu's wackadoodle solution of superheroes changing the orbit of celestial bodies? Seriously?

Does pointing out that many things both natural and human-made affect our climate make one a climate change denier? Critical thinking should lead one to believe otherwise.

So, that was your idea of critical thinking? Instead of discussing the issue, you resort to personal attacks and strawman fallacies?

You apparently don't know Gohmert's record. He has taken a strong climate denying position. He has even brought other noted climate change deniers into Congressional hearings.

As a matter of policy and science, you should be looking at the driver to the current climate problem: human activity. Which would be a better policy and scientific solution, addressing emissions or changing the orbits of planetary bodies to control global heating?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 11:15 am

To many of the Gohmert-types, trusting science = “questioning Gawd(TM)”

Now proficient in ChatGPT!