US Senate just approved making Juneteenth a federal holiday

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 9:19 pm

They passed the bill unanimously. I think that's great, and I'm sure the House of Representatives will also approve it and it will be signed into law.

However, call me a cynic, but I think this is a sop to allow Republicans to tout their support of the black population. True, the Senate has a titular narrow Democratic majority, but that doesn't explain the unanimous support for Juneteenth.

For those not familiar, Juneteenth (shortened form of June 19th) commemorates the day that African-American slavery finally ended in the United States. It actually had been forbidden by law prior to that, but nobody told the slaves in Texas until June 19, 1865.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 10:33 pm

Let's wait for Tucker Carlson and Candace Owens to hit the roof....

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 9:33 am

*shudder*

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 9:44 am

Yay!  Another paid federal holiday off!

Just like Memorial Day, Labor Day, Veterans' Day, et cetera...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 9:50 am

cyberdad wrote:
Let's wait for Tucker Carlson and Candace Owens to hit the roof....

Please repost tomorrow with their comments. Let's see if you are correct.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 11:02 am

BeaArthur wrote:
They passed the bill unanimously. I think that's great, and I'm sure the House of Representatives will also approve it and it will be signed into law.

However, call me a cynic, but I think this is a sop to allow Republicans to tout their support of the black population. True, the Senate has a titular narrow Democratic majority, but that doesn't explain the unanimous support for Juneteenth.

For those not familiar, Juneteenth (shortened form of June 19th) commemorates the day that African-American slavery finally ended in the United States. It actually had been forbidden by law prior to that, but nobody told the slaves in Texas until June 19, 1865.

You can thank the Republicans that the slaves were freed!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 7:37 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:

Abraham Lincoln would have been one of those lynched by the MAGA mob that stormed the capitol building back in January. I'm not even American but even I know the republican party of Lincoln in 1865 changed after his assassination and was never the same party.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:02 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Abraham Lincoln would have been one of those lynched by the MAGA mob that stormed the capitol building back in January. I'm not even American but even I know the republican party of Lincoln in 1865 changed after his assassination and was never the same party.

I have to agree. Lincoln is far too liberal for today's republicans. Hell, Reagan is also too liberal for them too.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:20 pm

There's an interesting organisation set up by an Australian ex-QAnon member Jidarth Jadeja which provides online support to help QAnon members to quit the organisation and to help with de-programming.

Trump and his son's role in pushing normal people to join the QAnon cult is actually a tragedy since its estimated that a significant proportion of republicans believe conspiracies perpetuated by QAnon who are now classified as a terrorist organisation by the FBI after January 2021.

I would go one step further and suggest Jadeja expand the services to help in deprogramming MAGAs to help leave the Trump inspired cult and to those who hang on every word from right wing podcasters who spout lies packaged as the truth.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:59 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

...and therefore they're entitled to never be on the correct side of history again. 8)

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 9:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

The ideological switch occurred during Nixon's presidency, beginning with the 1972 election. Even then, the 70s GOP wasn't as hard-lined about things like abortion (Roe v. Wade was decided during is time, in '73), and much of the party supported the Equal Rights Amendment at the time. Gerald Ford supported both.

The Moral Majority began in 1979 and made the anti-abortion push a major platform for the GOP in the 1980 election, and Phyllis Schlafly single-handedly derailed the ERA.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 16 Jun 2021, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 9:36 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

The ideological switch occurred during Nixon's presidency, beginning with the 1972 election. Even then, the 70s GOP wasn't as hard-lined about things like abortion, and much of the party supported the Equal Rights Amendment at the time. Gerald Ford supported both.

The Moral Majority began in 1979 and made the anti-abortion push a major platform for the GOP in the 1980 election. Phyllis Schlafly single-handedly derailed the ERA.

I was watching a history documentary with Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr and says the republican party changed its ideology toward African-Americans following Lincoln's assassination with the withdrawal of all promises he made prior to the end of the civil war. From that point on it didn't matter for Africans Americans whether it was democrat or republican.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 10:13 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

I have to agree. Lincoln is far too liberal for today's republicans. Hell, Reagan is also too liberal for them too.

Like many, I sometimes imagine Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant and Reagan with WTH looks on their faces regarding what the Republican Party is like in today's world. IMO, all three would so amazed as to how much the GOP has changed since their respective tenures as President of the US.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 11:21 pm

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C.—The Senate has unanimously passed a resolution to recognize Juneteenth as a federal holiday, commemorating the glorious day Republicans freed the last of the Democrats' slaves.

"We are so proud to show the world how not racist we are by officially recognizing the day the Republicans came charging in to free all our slaves," said Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer. "Yeah-- we Democrats did a little 'whoopsie' with that whole slavery thing, but the Republicans corrected it. Thanks, Republicans!"

During this year's Juneteenth, the nation will gather to celebrate the American political party that was founded on protecting human rights of people of all skin colors. Democrats around the country will write letters of apology and organize celebrations for the vast network of Christians, Catholics, Quakers, and Republicans who fought and died to end the scourge of slavery in America.

Congress has also approved the building of a giant elephant statue in D.C. to honor the party responsible for the freeing of slaves from Democrat plantations.

Biden has confirmed he will organize a celebration at the White House after he lays a wreath on the grave of his best friend Robert Byrd.

Source: https://babylonbee.com/news/congress-passes-law-to-recognize-juneteenth-the-day-republicans-freed-all-the-democrats-slaves

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 1:23 am

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C.—The Senate has unanimously passed a resolution to recognize Juneteenth as a federal holiday, commemorating the glorious day Republicans freed the last of the Democrats' slaves.

"We are so proud to show the world how not racist we are by officially recognizing the day the Republicans came charging in to free all our slaves," said Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer. "Yeah-- we Democrats did a little 'whoopsie' with that whole slavery thing, but the Republicans corrected it. Thanks, Republicans!"

During this year's Juneteenth, the nation will gather to celebrate the American political party that was founded on protecting human rights of people of all skin colors. Democrats around the country will write letters of apology and organize celebrations for the vast network of Christians, Catholics, Quakers, and Republicans who fought and died to end the scourge of slavery in America.

Congress has also approved the building of a giant elephant statue in D.C. to honor the party responsible for the freeing of slaves from Democrat plantations.

Biden has confirmed he will organize a celebration at the White House after he lays a wreath on the grave of his best friend Robert Byrd.

Source: https://babylonbee.com/news/congress-passes-law-to-recognize-juneteenth-the-day-republicans-freed-all-the-democrats-slaves

Hilarious, you'll have to excuse me as I don't rely on right wing rags for information (or humour for that matter).

I assume you are familiar with the concept of history and how the republican party of Lincoln has no resemblance to the current group of jokers who claim to be republican.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... vil-rights

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 7:35 am

You guys know any conservatives/Republicans personally? You seem to be believing in the caricatures promoted by the talking heads in media.
Of course it is more emotionally satisfying to believe that those with whom you disagree are monsters. It has worked for millennia.