Why does everyone think Sylvester Stallone is a bad actor

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

salad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 2:13 am

I keep hearing Sylvester Stallone get ripped on all the time for supposedly being a trash actor, and I feel its undeserved. I'll admit the only movies I watched of his were his "Rocky" movies but even then his acting was phenomenal in those movies. Does this look like bad acting to you:

Master Oogway

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 7:49 am

It's likely a matter of limited range. He's always seen as Rocky, even in Rambo he's just Rocky in a new setting.

Other actors get criticized for it too, Harrison Ford has never played a role that wasn't Han Solo. He's been archaeologist Han Solo, President Han Solo, Han Solo fleeing the FBI...

Most of the people who make those observations aren't huge fans of the actor in question and sometimes they genuinely have played more diverse roles, but if all of the major ones are real similar for speech patterns and mannerisms and whatnot you might end up with a similar reputation.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:13 am

funeralxempire wrote:
It's likely a matter of limited range. He's always seen as Rocky, even in Rambo he's just Rocky in a new setting...
That is "typecasting".  Some actors do not get offered many roles that differ from their most famous role or their Breakout Role (e.g., Leonard Nimoy as Spock).  Some actors find their comfy spot -- their Niche Role -- and play the same character over and over again (i.e., "... archaeologist Han Solo, President Han Solo, Han Solo fleeing the FBI...").

When I saw Sylvester Stallone in Guardians of the Galaxy, I expected him to place a subspace call to Adrian.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:17 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
It's likely a matter of limited range. He's always seen as Rocky, even in Rambo he's just Rocky in a new setting...
That is "typecasting".  Some actors do not get offered many roles that differ from their most famous role or their Breakout Role (e.g., Leonard Nimoy as Spock).  Some actors find their comfy spot -- their Niche Role -- and play the same character over and over again (i.e., "... archaeologist Han Solo, President Han Solo, Han Solo fleeing the FBI...").

When I saw Sylvester Stallone in Guardians of the Galaxy, I expected him to place a subspace call to Adrian.

Typecasting is more like the other side of the same coin. If Harrison Ford wanted to demonstrate he could do more than play Han Solo he has the clout to make it happen and demand changes.

That said, not everyone can be Robin Williams and consistently demonstrate that they can work off-type as well as on; some people have the clout and ambition to break it and fail, some people don't attempt because they don't mind it or believe that is their niche and that leaving it won't help their career.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:19 am

If he was a bad actor, then why was he so popular?

Limited range? It is about fitting the right actors to the right roles.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:24 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
If he was a bad actor, then why was he so popular?

Since when did being popular mean one was exceptionally skilled?

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:42 am

One need only look at the music industry (i.e., Milli Vanilli, Cher, most rappers, et cetera) and the political stage (i.e., R.E.Nixon, The Clintons, our 45th president, et cetera) to see that popularity and talent do not always corelate.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 4:14 pm

Let's all not forget Sylvester Stallone still wants to make his biopic about Edgar Allen Poe.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 4:48 pm

I can see it now...

"Yo!  Adrian!  Dat bird is up on dat stachoo again!  Get outta here, you dirdy crow!  No, not you Adrian..."

:lol:

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 6:05 pm

Well, Sylvester Stallone was actually nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor for Rocky (1976).

He didn't win one for himself, but the movie won 3.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 10:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
I can see it now...

"Yo!  Adrian!  Dat bird is up on dat stachoo again!  Get outta here, you dirdy crow!  No, not you Adrian..."

:lol:

He'll do anything to get this movie financed despite many who have read the script
have said that his script is just awful.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 12:53 am

GGPViper wrote:
Well, Sylvester Stallone was actually nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor for Rocky (1976).

Classic 1976 Rocky was legendary when it 1st came out. Sure it eventually became a meme with the sequels and implausible superhero style scenarios where a training montage later Rocky ends the Cold War like he did in Rocky 4, but the sheer simplicity and realism depicted in the 1st movie and revived in the 6th movie make both movies really unforgettable classic gems.

Master Oogway

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 7:33 am

salad wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

Classic 1976 Rocky was legendary when it 1st came out. Sure it eventually became a meme with the sequels and implausible superhero style scenarios where a training montage later Rocky ends the Cold War like he did in Rocky 4, but the sheer simplicity and realism depicted in the 1st movie and revived in the 6th movie make both movies really unforgettable classic gems.

That's probably one of the things that hurt him in the long run. Basically he became a victim of his own success with some of the cheesiness that eventually creeped into the franchise hurting his reputation for a time. When the first one came out he could do no wrong, but as the franchise went on people started to get worn out by it (like a lot of franchises).

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

salad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 12:45 am

funeralxempire wrote:
salad wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

That's probably one of the things that hurt him in the long run. Basically he became a victim of his own success with some of the cheesiness that eventually creeped into the franchise hurting his reputation for a time. When the first one came out he could do no wrong, but as the franchise went on people started to get worn out by it (like a lot of franchises).

As Cheesy as Rocky 4 was with Rocky defeating a 6 ft 5 behemoth after 1 training montage and thus ending the Cold War, you cant tell me this isn't the absolute greatest training montage of all time:

Master Oogway

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 9:40 am

My ex-gf back when we were dating, was not interested in watching First Blood, because of all the things people say about Stallone being a bad actor, and how they do bad Rocky imitations.

I showed her First Blood and she loved it and felt he was good in it as well, and took it back.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 10:50 am

ironpony wrote:
My ex-gf back when we were dating, was not interested in watching First Blood, because of all the things people say about Stallone being a bad actor, and how they do bad Rocky imitations.

I showed her First Blood and she loved it and felt he was good in it as well, and took it back.

Rambo 1? That's the one where Rambo's mom is the killer, right? :mrgreen:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う