Racial Bias and Support For Foreign Conflict

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2021, 4:31 am

funeralxempire wrote:

The fact that the researchers who carried out this study only wanted to examine the attitudes of white people towards America’s military interventions strongly suggests the researchers had an agenda and started with a conclusion they set out to prove.

If (if) white Americans are more likely to support wars in non-white foreign countries than in white foreign countries, that would just be normal and natural. It’s a bit like how China criticizes countries like Australia for their “racism” while staying silent on Burma’s treatment of the Rogingas. Or like how blacks in the US will riot over George Floyd but not over Daniel Shaver or Kelly Thomas.

However, if the attitudes of “racially resentful whites” among the general US population really do influence their support for American military interventions abroad, these attitudes clearly have about as much influence on the US establishment’s actual foreign policy as they do on the US establishment’s domestic policy, i.e., zero (regarding the latter: witness the continuation of mass immigration and the spread of critical race theory). I mean, consider this…

1. One of the US’s most significant foreign interventions in the last thirty years was against Serbia. The US’s two most significant foreign interventions of the last 125 were against Germany (and her allies). In the 1980s the US came close to nuclear war with the Soviet Union

2. These days when the US administration want to intervene in a foreign country, they usually manufacture some humanitarian argument for it. Even with respect to quarrels with China, the US establishment usually take pains to distinguish the Chinese government from the Chinese people, and criticize said government for their “lack of democracy” and “persecution of minorities”. No talk about the yellow peril anymore: this isn’t the 1920s.

3. Most of America’s interventions in the Middle East are AIPAC-inspired interventions for the benefit of Israel, and nothing to do with Joe Sixpack’s views on brown people, but I doubt these researchers will start talking about this anytime soon.

Which just makes me question even further what the point of this study really was.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 6:06 am

VegetableMan wrote:
I don't see hardly any people who voted for Biden breaking a sweat to steer him left, or protest his bombing of Syria. At least not on this site.

Forget about reforming either of the two major parties, it ain't gonna happen. I've been watching this s**t show for 40 years. It only gets worse with each passing decade.

So then, what, in your opinion, should we do?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 8:54 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I don't see hardly any people who voted for Biden breaking a sweat to steer him left, or protest his bombing of Syria. At least not on this site.

Forget about reforming either of the two major parties, it ain't gonna happen. I've been watching this s**t show for 40 years. It only gets worse with each passing decade.

We have to build viable third parties that can challenge the political establishment.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 4:00 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
We have to build viable third parties that can challenge the political establishment.

Unfortunately, given how the American political system works, third parties don't really do much other than take votes away from whichever major party would otherwise be the lesser evil.

So, instead of trying to build a third party, I think what's necessary is to build a sufficiently large and well-organized mass movement that can put sufficient pressure on at least one of the parties.

Unfortunately, building such a mass movement around foreign policy issues will be extremely difficult. Most Americans care much more about domestic issues than about foreign policy.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 4:29 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
3. Most of America’s interventions in the Middle East are AIPAC-inspired interventions for the benefit of Israel, and nothing to do with Joe Sixpack’s views on brown people, but I doubt these researchers will start talking about this anytime soon.

Which just makes me question even further what the point of this study really was.

Agreed.

Americans don't get to decide on foreign conflicts.

A handful of people at the top make a decision, and sometimes we learn of it, and sometimes we don't.

Be the hero of your life.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 8:50 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 10:31 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Unfortunately, given how the American political system works, third parties don't really do much other than take votes away from whichever major party would otherwise be the lesser evil.

So, instead of trying to build a third party, I think what's necessary is to build a sufficiently large and well-organized mass movement that can put sufficient pressure on at least one of the parties.

Unfortunately, building such a mass movement around foreign policy issues will be extremely difficult. Most Americans care much more about domestic issues than about foreign policy.

A mass movement around a third-party with be the best solution. You have to make people aware that they're being lied to. The corporate class control all of the media, hence the reason third-party, independate, and anti-war, anti-establishment candidates are demonized and shut out of the process.

I don't believe there is a "lesser evil " any more. In fact, the Dems are more dangerous because the media gives them cover, and the left falls asleep -- like they did during Obama's reign.

Bill Clinton got in bed with all the same corporate donors, pretty much destroying any opposition to neoliberalism. He did worse crap the Reagan and Bush Sr., like gutting welfare, deregulating Wall Street, and passing NAFTA.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 11:58 am

VegetableMan wrote:
A mass movement around a third-party with be the best solution.

Any thoughts about how to go about building it?

It seems to me that such a movement will need a solid infrastructure, with its own media that adherents will pay attention to, and with semi-regular local gatherings of people for protest rallies and other events.

What are your thoughts on how to build these?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 1:46 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Keep carrying the water for the poltical establishment. They love people like you.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 1:56 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
A mass movement around a third-party with be the best solution.

Any thoughts about how to go about building it?

It seems to me that such a movement will need a solid infrastructure, with its own media that adherents will pay attention to, and with semi-regular local gatherings of people for protest rallies and other events.

What are your thoughts on how to build these?

I was involved in a few grassroots movements toward the end of Obama's presidency. One was in opposition to the TPP, the other was his initiative to end net neutrality. To his credit, he backed down on both.

There's a new movement to build The People's Party, which could blossom with enough support.

Just pay attention and make your concerns heard. We get nowhere if we don't hold whomever is in power accountable for their actions. That's the first step. We have to educate ourselves to what's really going on and act accordingly.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 6:35 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I was involved in a few grassroots movements toward the end of Obama's presidency. One was in opposition to the TPP, the other was his initiative to end net neutrality. To his credit, he backed down on both.

As per the example you gave above with Obama, I think the two major parties -- especially the Democrats -- do respond to pressures from sufficiently strong, sufficiently organized grassroots movements. They will not do the right thing in the absence of such movements, however.

The problem is how to keep up the momentum of a grassroots movement strong enough to counterbalance moneyed interests.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 11:11 am

slam_thunderhide wrote:
2.These days when the US administration want to intervene in a foreign country, they usually manufacture some humanitarian argument for it. Even with respect to quarrels with China, the US establishment usually take pains to distinguish the Chinese government from the Chinese people, and criticize said government for their “lack of democracy” and “persecution of minorities”. No talk about the yellow peril anymore: this isn’t the 1920s.

I actually only use the term "CCP" here, out of respect for the forum's terminology. I never say that in political debates in China.
I am well aware that I oppose many of the authorities' policies. But more Chinese did not object.

Based on 2020 data:
China has 91.94 million Communist Party members.
There are 8 million on-the-job civil servants.
There are more than 30 million on-the-job authorized strength (lifetime government employees).
(Party membership and the latter two overlap to some extent.)

China has a total population of only 1.4 billion.
Most have family ties to a government employee to some degree or another.
It is actually difficult to distinguish between "CCP" and "Chinese people". Joining the Chinese Communist Party and believing in communism are not so related.

I don't fully trust the sincerity of "international people" who claim to love Chinese people/culture and hate the Chinese government.
This sometimes seems like a "more elegant racism".
Trying to intervene as a "savior" without asking if the people being saved need it. Or, just ask "who they want to ask."

Of course, it's more likely just a real fight of interest, but it's still so moving in the propaganda.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 11:37 am

I don’t like the Russian government….but I’ve met many nice Russian people.

Many people happen to dislike American government policy, but do like individual Americans.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Apr 2022, 11:45 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Trying to intervene as a "savior" without asking if the people being saved need it. Or, just ask "who they want to ask."
That's way more universal than just West-China relations...

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 12:12 pm

magz wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
That's way more universal than just West-China relations...

I heard it before.
"They have nothing, but they're free"

But I have no authority to represent them, at least until I know enough about them. Otherwise I'm also in the position I'm talking about in this sentence.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 12:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t like the Russian government….but I’ve met many nice Russian people.

Many people happen to dislike American government policy, but do like individual Americans.

Individuals can have likes and dislikes. This is personal freedom.
But for advocacy and decision-making is another story.