Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 3:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
... I went straight to the references section, before reading the article itself (good write-up, though).  The BPS model is non-hierarchical, although some who favor hierarchical models may try to bend and twist BPS into their personal belief systems.  BPS is more like a three-dimensional volume within which various vaguely-defined loci may be found.  Each locus represents a unique set of parameters that give rise to the individual personality.  Even then, other factors not within the BPS volume may influence the outcome...
That's a way better wording of the general idea that I have in mind when I condemn the 'just do burpees until your depression goes away' sounding positions. They're way too oversimplified to be helpful and the black and white thinking used to reach those conclusions often doesn't lend itself to very meaningful discussions, just a lot of bluster and needless hostility.
Yeah, kinda like trying to do CPR when you do not even know what the initials stand for.  Even those of us with good intentions often do more harm than good when we do not know what to do.
It explains the tendency towards defensiveness in some people; they're only genuinely trying to help.  It just means that someone who's describing literally being unable to get out of bed and who's main factor delaying intentional self-harm is struggling with the motivation and executive function required to perform those acts probably needs more than just to be told to do burpees until they puke.  They almost certainly need more than anyone on this board is qualified to provide.
The last sentence is quoted for truth.

Sadly, for the people seeking help, they are likely better off obtaining that help elsewhere.

This is why condemning people who just want support and sympathy, or people who only offer it is a jerk-move, even if one has what one considers good advice, the person delivering it isn't qualified and doesn't have enough of a patient history to make recommendations even if they were qualified. The person offering the back on the pat is perfectly qualified to offer that so condemning them for staying in their lane so to speak is inherently unfair.

The person probably just wants an affirmation that their feelings over their situation are valid and that it's not all their fault that they feel that way, they're not wrong to feel that way.

They're not here for help, they're here for community and they want they the friends they've probably otherwise never had to sound like they give a s**t about their feelings, not to try to offer solutions that ignore their feelings.

But you know, we're all prone to offering solutions because that's an aspect of how we're predisposed so it shouldn't be condemned to strongly unless it's actively starting to harm someone because of how fragile they are at the moment because it's not fair to expect folks here to understand that's the state the person they're dealing with is in unless they keep saying it.

If someone is literally talking about how they should kill themselves they don't want a solution for how to make life a bit better if only they invest a fucktonne of effort doing something they hate; we should take them seriously that they're in crisis and have more immediate needs.

People here tend to fixate on driving their point home with a sledgehammer. It can be rude enough in PP&R but there's a degree to which it's expected; it can seem just needlessly cruel in a sob thread.

I'm not the best at appropriately demonstrating empathy and if you recall I used to take a more 'advice' oriented approach and I do still try to reinforce people giving advice even while also trying to mediate and balance between approaches depending on what the OP is actually saying. I try to reserve getting worked up towards posters I like when I see that they're clearly not having the intended benefit, I still reserve the benefit of the doubt towards motives but if harm appears imminent sometimes it's easy to have a somewhat panicked response just like any other time one recognizes imminent harm.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 3:59 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
badRobot wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
It just means that someone who's describing literally being unable to get out of bed and who's main factor delaying intentional self-harm is struggling with the motivation and executive function required to perform those acts probably needs more than just to be told to do burpees until they puke.

They almost certainly need more than anyone on this board is qualified to provide.

This person unable to get out of bed due to screwed tryptophan metabolism and build up of quinolinic acid as a result of lack of physical activity among other things.

What would solve this problem, clear neurotoxic compound from their brain and allow tryptophan to cross blood-brain barrier to synthesize serotonin?

Positive affirmations? Emotional support? No, doing burpees until they puke.

I don't understand what kind of harm can this advice, this awareness cause this person?

You're fixated on the chemical side of it as though there's nothing beyond that and that approach is flawed no matter how condescending you act about it.

Yes actually, emotional support can contribute to helping change someone's mindset and improve how they can approach other advice. Just take this positive step is useless when one isn't focused on improving their depression but instead on just avoiding it further.

Becoming belligerent when your advice isn't accepted doesn't help either and it ends up appearing like bullying to the person being 'helped' because it often resembles patterns of bullying they've experienced before. (as reported by a poster who has been subjected to the pile-on of belligerent advice before) It contributes to their negative state, it doesn't help with their negative state. You can argue until you're blue in the face but you won't change how the behaviour is received.

There's nothing wrong with mentioning how important exercise is but when it's repeated over and over again as though it's the only viable solution and everyone else is actually harming the person by taking any other perspective you should expect that eventually that attitude will get called out as not helpful.

Repeating the same thing over and over again after it's been rejected by the person asking for help makes it no longer help, even if the message might genuinely be beneficial.

You are making up scenarios that didn't happen. I've never said what you are implying. To my assessment I was talking to a high functioning person who is capable of going to their job and attend group therapy sessions.

I've never been aggressive, I didn't poke this person million times, I mentioned basic needs couple times and burpees like twice. You are attacking me here again and again, calling names. You are the bully here, not me.

You made up a villain out of me for no reason. You don't like my approach and just exploit this narrative as an excuse to antagonize me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 4:25 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
... Sadly, for the people seeking help, they are likely better off obtaining that help elsewhere.
This is why condemning people who just want support and sympathy, or people who only offer it is a jerk-move...
If those who seek only support and sympathy would explicitly say so, that would at least stand as a warning against people who can only offer advice.  Believe it or not, some people who ask for advice do react negatively to any advice they receive, accuse the advice-givers of having hostile intent, and show appreciation only for sugary platitudes and empty praises.  One need look no further than The Haven and Love And Dating for examples.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 4:27 pm

badRobot wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
badRobot wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
It just means that someone who's describing literally being unable to get out of bed and who's main factor delaying intentional self-harm is struggling with the motivation and executive function required to perform those acts probably needs more than just to be told to do burpees until they puke.

They almost certainly need more than anyone on this board is qualified to provide.

This person unable to get out of bed due to screwed tryptophan metabolism and build up of quinolinic acid as a result of lack of physical activity among other things.

What would solve this problem, clear neurotoxic compound from their brain and allow tryptophan to cross blood-brain barrier to synthesize serotonin?

I don't understand what kind of harm can this advice, this awareness cause this person?

You're fixated on the chemical side of it as though there's nothing beyond that and that approach is flawed no matter how condescending you act about it.

Yes actually, emotional support can contribute to helping change someone's mindset and improve how they can approach other advice. Just take this positive step is useless when one isn't focused on improving their depression but instead on just avoiding it further.

Becoming belligerent when your advice isn't accepted doesn't help either and it ends up appearing like bullying to the person being 'helped' because it often resembles patterns of bullying they've experienced before. (as reported by a poster who has been subjected to the pile-on of belligerent advice before) It contributes to their negative state, it doesn't help with their negative state. You can argue until you're blue in the face but you won't change how the behaviour is received.

There's nothing wrong with mentioning how important exercise is but when it's repeated over and over again as though it's the only viable solution and everyone else is actually harming the person by taking any other perspective you should expect that eventually that attitude will get called out as not helpful.

Repeating the same thing over and over again after it's been rejected by the person asking for help makes it no longer help, even if the message might genuinely be beneficial.

You are making up scenarios that didn't happen. I've never said what you are implying. To my assessment I was talking to a high functioning person who is capable of going to their job and attend group therapy sessions.

I've never been aggressive, I didn't poke this person million times, I mentioned basic needs couple times and burpees like twice. You are attacking me here again and again, calling names. You are the bully here, not me.

You made up a villain out of me for no reason. You don't like my approach and just exploit this narrative as an excuse to antagonize me.

I'm thinking of replies I've seen directed towards Marknis in recent times. It's intended as a composite and not as a depiction of you or any other individual poster personally.

People do become belligerent towards him, or at least are consistently understood to be behaving belligerently. Combined with persistence it is perceived as bullying even if the intention isn't bullying. That's why it never has the intended effect, especially if one doesn't already have report with a given poster.

Further, I don't believe you or anyone else here acts as a villain intentionally but it doesn't mean that acts done with nothing but good intentions can't still end up not benefiting someone because of the state they're in and failures on both ends in terms of understanding.

It doesn't make you a villain if you step on someone's toe, even if they have an ingrown toenail and yelp out in pain But they're not being cruel to you for yelping out and triggering guilt and they're not faking it, you're still not a villain and there's no ill-intent but becoming defensive instead of apologizing makes it feel villainous to the person who's still in pain from the accidental injury.

I'm not intentionally being cruel to you either, I'm just trying to make it clear that harm was inflicted. I'm also making it clear that you're not the only one, it's inevitable when sob-threads get misjudged and people try to respond without fully grasping what they're dealing with.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 4:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
... Sadly, for the people seeking help, they are likely better off obtaining that help elsewhere.
This is why condemning people who just want support and sympathy, or people who only offer it is a jerk-move...
If those who seek only support and sympathy would explicitly say so, that would at least stand as a warning against people who can only offer advice.  Believe it or not, some people who ask for advice do react negatively to any advice they receive, accuse the advice-givers of having hostile intent, and show appreciation only for sugary platitudes and empty praises.  One need look no further than The Haven and Love And Dating for examples.

I don't disagree at all. Lots of spats in what should be supportive environments here seem to stem from failure to understand what exactly the OP wants from the thread, or from misinterpretations of posts.

Perhaps a 'Self-Help' forum might help segregate posters who want something more constructive from those who primarily need support and sympathy.

It isn't right for posters who are wounded to lash out because of stuff that feels personal when it isn't. While the mental state helps explain why it's likely it still really isn't fair to the person on the receiving end especially if the grudge persists because the wounded individual never bothers to reexamine their perspective.

There needs to be a balance between understanding for all parties involved, especially given the nature of the community. Most of the issues with miscommunication, tone, failure to understand perspectives, etc are inherent to why we're all here. Many of us have comorbids that compound those issues and some of us struggle more than others. I've really tried to become more understanding of other posters over the past year or so, even when I might be sharply critical of their perspectives. I'm obviously still working toward that goal. We don't really know the other people here or what made them as well as we'd like to imagine; remembering that might go a long way when a response seems utterly irrational or unreasonable.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 4:43 pm

↑ As for me, I no longer try to rush in with advice unless it is asked for or it seems that the person may be in danger.

Too late to patch things up with some people, but there is little else I can do.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 4:45 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
badRobot wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
badRobot wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I'm thinking of replies I've seen directed towards Marknis in recent times. It's intended as a composite and not as a depiction of you or any other individual poster personally.

People do become belligerent towards him, or at least are consistently understood to be behaving belligerently. Combined with persistence it is perceived as bullying even if the intention isn't bullying. That's why it never has the intended effect, especially if one doesn't already have report with a given poster.

Further, I don't believe you or anyone else here acts as a villain intentionally but it doesn't mean that acts done with nothing but good intentions can't still end up not benefiting someone because of the state they're in and failures on both ends in terms of understanding.

It doesn't make you a villain if you step on someone's toe, even if they have an ingrown toenail and yelp out in pain But they're not being cruel to you for yelping out and triggering guilt and they're not faking it, you're still not a villain and there's no ill-intent but becoming defensive instead of apologizing makes it feel villainous to the person who's still in pain from the accidental injury.

I'm not intentionally being cruel to you either, I'm just trying to make it clear that harm was inflicted. I'm also making it clear that you're not the only one, it's inevitable when sob-threads get misjudged and people try to respond without fully grasping what they're dealing with.

Then leave me alone and don't mention burpees when you are generalizing and inventing abstract situations that didn't happen.

Yeah, it is wrong to bully severely depressed bedridden person in suicidal crisis, I never did that.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 3:41 am

So, to sum it all up.

Biopsychosocial model is actually a really good approach.

When we apply it to recommendation "you should set a reminder and do intense burpees everyday" it means:

- Burpees are an efficient treatment of depression on physiological level
- Doing burpees everyday should be consistent, this measure should be addressed on psychological level, meaning person needs structure and discipline. This part is covered by "set a reminder and do it everyday"
- There should be awareness and social support by peers and his support network, encouragement to put effort into doing burpees everyday.

Only the last part is really problematic here. You guys are part of the problem.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 8:51 am

People who are physically disabled are going to have a hard time doing burpees. Paraplegics and quadriplegics, for instance. As for a modified exercise that still reaches intense levels, people with fibromyalgia need to be extremely cautious about increasing exercise because they can get a very bad flareup. Burpees if they are not already very fit would be catastrophic. People with Ehlers Danlos syndrome might have problems such as dislocations if they attempt burpees.

And yet, there are effective treatments for depression in all these conditions.

Hence, burpees or another intense exercise are not only not for everyone, but not necessary for improvement from depression. This is concordant with the biopsychosocial model.

I would love it if we could ban the word burpee from this site entirely. I'm sick of hearing about them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 8:59 am

Every time I see the word "Burpee", I think of this:

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 9:05 am

Can you please stop bringing up borderline conditions when we are talking about general recommendations and awareness?

If one can do burpees - this is the best option in my opinion. If someone has contraindications - seek for alternatives. This applies to literally any treatment, medication or therapy.

If we follow your logic we should ban words "Music" or "Movie" because people with vision and hearing impairments exist.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 9:10 am

badRobot wrote:
Can you please stop bringing up borderline conditions when we are talking about general recommendations and awareness? ...
Excuse me, but who started this thread?

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 9:20 am

Fnord wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Can you please stop bringing up borderline conditions when we are talking about general recommendations and awareness? ...

Who?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 9:23 am

badRobot wrote:
Fnord wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Who?
Hint: NOT you.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 9:23 am

Fnord wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Fnord wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Who?
Hint: NOT you.

And?

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 9:42 am

Intense exercise is necessary for improvement from depression.

If intense exercise is not a viable option, complex therapy that mimics effects of intense exercise is necessary, like breathing exercises, physiotherapy: acupuncture, massage, electrical muscle stimulation, compression pumps, medications: steroid hormones, protein infusions, etc.

This is concordant with the hierarchy of natural systems of biopsychosocial model.

I just don't get what is the point here?