Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:31 pm

Does anyone else hate when something bad is happening and someone says, “Everything will be okay.” To try and make you feel better? I hate this. What evidence do you have that everything will be okay? Why should this make me feel better?

AngryJackal97
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2021, 10:22 pm

I always hate it whenever I get angry and start raging that someone will come up to me and say “Okay now, calm down!” Like, calm down? How am I supposed to do that?! Especially when its the person causing me to rage.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Jun 2021, 11:20 pm

I hate people telling me stupid clueshays & phrases meant to make me feel better that do absolutely nothing to address the the situation. I keep hearing how us Aspies are bad at empathy & emotional support but I completely fail to comprehend how just saying a clueshay is considered emotional support & empathy :scratch: When I'm upset & somebody just tells me a clueshay, I really want to tell them to keep their clueshays in their a$$ where they belong but I bite my tongue of corse.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 12:35 am

nick007 wrote:
I hate people telling me stupid clueshays & phrases meant to make me feel better that do absolutely nothing to address the the situation. I keep hearing how us Aspies are bad at empathy & emotional support but I completely fail to comprehend how just saying a clueshay is considered emotional support & empathy :scratch: When I'm upset & somebody just tells me a clueshay, I really want to tell them to keep their clueshays in their a$$ where they belong but I bite my tongue of corse.

I agree. I don’t understand how someone could think, “Everything will be okay.” With absolutely no factual evidence could make anyone feel better. Reasons why it may be okay, and facts or nothing at all makes much more sense. A simple, “I’m here for you.” Is also better than, “Everything will be okay.”

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 12:38 am

I get frustrated when people say this because it often seems dismissive, or at least I'm used to it being used like that towards me. I don't like having people dismiss my feelings about things.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 5:47 am

"everything" is a lot of things.

What is "ok" is subjective

The speaker doesn't know what will happen before it happens

Besides, what if "everything be ok" sooner or later, then what? That situation only lasts for so long

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 7:28 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I get frustrated when people say this because it often seems dismissive, or at least I'm used to it being used like that towards me. I don't like having people dismiss my feelings about things.
When I was going through a bad depression others got tired of me fast & were dismissive of me as well which of corse only made my depression worse & made me complain even more.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 7:46 pm

I don't like it either. It seems invalidating. You can say "Everything will be OK" to anyone like a token response, without even listening or understanding the problem. I appreciate that people don't always know what to say, and few people are tried therapists, but I'd rather hear "Wow, that's a big problem" than be patted on the head, or have my issue trivialised.

If the person truly does think "Everything will be OK", there are better ways to say it in order to sound reassuring.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 11:12 am

It sounds dismissive to me as well. However it also means the person in question is probably bad at comforting people. And i try to not expect much from them.

Now if someone is saying everything will be ok without trying anything to solve the situation it is just lazy to me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm

AprilR wrote:
It sounds dismissive to me as well. However it also means the person in question is probably bad at comforting people. And i try to not expect much from them.

Now if someone is saying everything will be ok without trying anything to solve the situation it is just lazy to me.
I get what you mean. Sometimes situations solve themselves & there isn't much you can do to immediately improve things. Sometimes you have to wait things out like if you miss your bus & have to wait an hour for the next one. But there are better ways to be comforting in those situations than just telling me that everything will be OK. For example explaining to me why me being late won't be a huge deal like the person I'm meeting won't be that bothered, or I'll still have enough time to get everything done, or we put off going to one place till the next day or so.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 3:14 pm

nick007 wrote:
AprilR wrote:

I get what you mean. Sometimes situations solve themselves & there isn't much you can do to immediately improve things. Sometimes you have to wait things out like if you miss your bus & have to wait an hour for the next one. But there are better ways to be comforting in those situations than just telling me that everything will be OK. For example explaining to me why me being late won't be a huge deal like the person I'm meeting won't be that bothered, or I'll still have enough time to get everything done, or we put off going to one place till the next day or so.

Yes!! Exactly.