Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

AngryJackal97
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jun 2021, 7:00 am

I've been told many times that lack of eye contact (which I have) is a classic sign of Autism. Is this true for you? I know its true for me. I can remember being a kid and people would yell at me for not making eye contact. Now as an adult if anyone were to do that I'd probably tell them “Well not with that attitude!” Or get really vulgar with them because another thing I really hate is getting yelled at. Though, I can definitely recall that whenever I have made eye contact with someone, it was because I was angry with that person which made them very uncomfortable. :lol:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 12:50 pm

When I was quite young I was taught that it was polite to look at people when you are talking to them. No one said anything about looking in their eyes. So I kind of look at people but do not look into their eyes.

That I know of, this has only been an issue twice in my life. Both involved professionals who were watching things like that for professional reasons--one was the psychologist who diagnosed me.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 1:01 pm

I didn’t realize that I didn’t make eye contact until my best friend yelled at me one day in high school and said, “WHY DON’T YOU EVER MAKE EYE CONTACT WHEN SOMEONES TALKING TO YOU.” We aren’t best friends anymore, but not because of that. Because he’s not a good person. Regardless, it wasn’t even something I knew I was doing wrong until that day, and now I am able to make eye contact pretty well with people I know, but I think about it too much with strangers.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 1:05 pm

Not for me, if anything I look too much into peoples eyes trying to figure them out I guess.
Some find my gaze disturbing and some think that I'm staring at them, I would describe it as an intense gaze.

/Mats