Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Qbeez999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2021, 4:16 pm

I have pretty much no friends in real life and I talk (well I whisper) to myself as if someone is next to me. I talk about all sorts of topics and also say what I'm going to do next. "I'm going to the bathroom, I'm going to get a drink, etc". I've did this for as long as I can remember.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 4:20 pm

Could be. Could be something else.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2021, 6:10 am

possibly . self talk can keep the mind on track .

so if for example you had ADHD . this is a mechanism to focus

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2021, 7:20 am

Qbeez999 wrote:
I have pretty much no friends in real life and I talk (well I whisper) to myself as if someone is next to me. I talk about all sorts of topics and also say what I'm going to do next. "I'm going to the bathroom, I'm going to get a drink, etc". I've did this for as long as I can remember.

they say that it a female trait.
Seriously, I think all people talk to themselves. I am not a professional but I have seen all kinds of people talking to themselves.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2021, 7:20 am

cbd wrote:

interesting 8)

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2021, 11:16 am

Ever heard of the invisible Government and secret societies?

They are everywhere. Talking to us telepathically.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:41 pm

cbd wrote:

Yes, I do that. Not constantly though, and not because I lack friends. Just to lay out when my next step is. Like, "do that online banking first, before you go chat on a forum."

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Jun 2021, 1:44 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
cbd wrote:

Yes, I do that. Not constantly though, and not because I lack friends. Just to lay out when my next step is. Like, "do that online banking first, before you go chat on a forum."

Same with me. Talking to myself helps me focus.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:57 pm

I talk to myself sometimes. My wife and I joke it is ok as long as I don't start answering myself.

Sometime I will say something out loud and my wife will hear me and say "what did you say?" - and I say "I was just talking to myself" and my wife will say "well, did you answer yourself?" and I say (joking) "yes! in a high squeaky voice" - the joke is that talking to yourself like Norman Bates or Gollum might be a sign that you are crazy - like you think you are two people, or you are having hallucinations. I forget who, but I remember a serial killer once telling the police that he had to kill people because his dog told him to do it. (Note: the dog couldn't really talk).

If you know who is talking (you) and you don't try to answer back (as if you are two people) I think talking to yourself is probably ok - I have a theory that it is one way I share information between the two halves of my brain - which might not communicate that well on the inside of my brain. Sometimes I will try to recall the name of someone and I cannot recall the right name because the wrong name keeps coming to mind. If I say the wrong name out-loud my brain suddenly gets un-stuck and remembers the right name.

Talking to myself out-loud in certain situations annoys other people so if I notice that I am doing it I try to stop.

I don't talk to myself often, but I have for many years. My dad used to talk to himself too.

The other joke is - "yes, I answered myself - it is the only way to get intelligent conversation around here!"

:D