Not healing from burnout or powering through executive dysfu

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Nyssarbor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jun 2021, 7:22 pm

I can't get around my executive dysfunction. It's been more noticeable this past year because I've been so much more tired. Does anyone have any strategies to help them through times like this? I'm pretty new to even knowing what executive dysfunction is, so if you guys have found anything that's helped over the years let me know!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 9:13 pm

One quick suggestion: Make a list of things you have to do.

BTW, Do you have ADD or ADHD?

Nyssarbor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jun 2021, 9:22 pm

The lists help a little but I still struggle with the follow through.
and yep, just got diagnosed

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 9:28 pm

I use coach.me to track my goals. I put only my top priorities there, keep it relatively short, so it's not overwhelming and it's realistic to consistently reach all goals every week. One of the goals is "complete all priorities for day tasks".

I have "priorities for day" list in reminders app in my phone and computer. I review it and plan my next day every evening couple hours before sleep.

I changed default settings to keep completed tasks visible and re-uncheck some tasks I do often when I review my list.

I break down every complex task that takes more than one day into atomic actionable steps that I keep in a separate checklist in my notes and put only next couple immediately doable steps on my todo list. Sometimes I leave a large gap to keep only next step visible and the rest of the list invisible below.

I use S.M.A.R.T. approach when I set goals or objectives for myself. It means trying to define my goals to be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound.

This way there are no vagueness and ambiguity, if there is "Laundry" on my "Priorities for day" list, there is always some next actionable checklist item like "collect all socks" or "sort by colors" in my "Laundry" checklist in notes.

I attribute having mental power and clarity required to keep my s**t together to being intentional about couple basic needs of our body important for mental health: "Sleeping with open window, 1 minute of intense burpees, 15 minutes of direct sunlight and 2 eggs a day keeps depression away"

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:41 am

Nyssarbor wrote:

I struggle every day to do what I need to do, but it helps if I have a number of projects going at the same time.

E.G.
I was building a kitchen, outside tool shed and water drainage, as well as doing the usual gardening and house cleaning.
It takes time to finish projects but it does happen, eventually. ;)
I finished the kitchen, last week, and I'm close to finishing the shed.

This is how I cope with my very bad ADD.
In essence, I use the "Baby Steps" principle. 8)

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:45 pm

Pepe wrote:
Nyssarbor wrote:

I struggle every day to do what I need to do, but it helps if I have a number of projects going at the same time.

E.G.
I was building a kitchen, outside tool shed and water drainage, as well as doing the usual gardening and house cleaning.

How do you deal with so many relatively large ongoing projects? All the materials and tools?

When I have several concurrent projects it looks terrifying, like a hoarder den or something.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 4:01 am

badRobot wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Nyssarbor wrote:

E.G.

How do you deal with so many relatively large ongoing projects? All the materials and tools?

When I have several concurrent projects it looks terrifying, like a hoarder den or something.

One baby step at a time. 8)

I take lots of breaks so as not to stress my mental energy.
I also get bored easily and prefer to move to different projects.
Thanks, ADD.
It is like when we were at skool and did 40 minute periods of maths, science, etc. 8)

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 4:42 am

Pepe wrote:

Thanks, ADD.
It is like when we were at skool and did 40 minute periods of maths, science, etc. 8)

I mean, do you clean up every day or leave your tools and materials laying around? If I'm trying for example to renovate kitchen, build human size animatronic creature and debug some complicated electronic device using all the equipment, my place becomes so cluttered it's hurts my eyes and brains :D

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 11:51 pm

badRobot wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Thanks, ADD.

I mean, do you clean up every day or leave your tools and materials laying around? If I'm trying for example to renovate kitchen, build human size animatronic creature and debug some complicated electronic device using all the equipment, my place becomes so cluttered it's hurts my eyes and brains :D

I leave my tools out, usually.
They only go back "home" when the job is done.