Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2021, 3:48 am

I have a question.
There is a tune called Don't cuss the fiddle.
What does it mean?
There is a translation in another language that refers to "don't throw rocks in a glass house."
Can you say that in English?

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 4:06 am

Dandansson wrote:
I have a question.
What does it mean?

The gist of the song is that no one is perfect, don't be overly critical; when you're critical over someone else's occasional gaffs, you're can be equally guilty making the same mistakes, too. You don't like it when you're criticized over little mistakes, don't be a hypocrite.

"Don't cuss the fiddle," isn't really an idiom as far as I know, it's just an example used in the song. Don't "badmouth" and be so critical of the fiddle player in a country band messing up, because you've made similar mistakes with your instrument. Being too critical will only make the fiddle player resentful, and he won't desire to improve, your criticism isn't helping.

Also, "stealing each other's songs" ties in with the adage, "There's nothing new under the sun." You think someone stole your idea, but you also stole the same idea from someone else, since country songs all seem to have similar themes that keep getting recycled.

Dandansson wrote:
There is a translation in another language that refers to "don't throw rocks in a glass house."Can you say that in English?

The best way to phrase this in American English would be "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2021, 5:15 am

8)

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Dandansson wrote:
I have a question.
What does it mean?

The gist of the song is that no one is perfect, don't be overly critical; when you're critical over someone else's occasional gaffs, you're can be equally guilty making the same mistakes, too. You don't like it when you're criticized over little mistakes, don't be a hypocrite.

"Don't cuss the fiddle," isn't really an idiom as far as I know, it's just an example used in the song. Don't "badmouth" and be so critical of the fiddle player in a country band messing up, because you've made similar mistakes with your instrument. Being too critical will only make the fiddle player resentful, and he won't desire to improve, your criticism isn't helping.

Also, "stealing each other's songs" ties in with the adage, "There's nothing new under the sun." You think someone stole your idea, but you also stole the same idea from someone else, since country songs all seem to have similar themes that keep getting recycled.

Dandansson wrote:
There is a translation in another language that refers to "don't throw rocks in a glass house."Can you say that in English?

The best way to phrase this in American English would be "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

8)