Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 11:57 am

If as CRT asserts, all of societies' structures and institutions are built (consciously or un-conciously) around white persons predilections and biases, Would not CRT also be built upon the bias of it's creators?
To point: Upon what objective standard is CRT built?

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 11:58 am

This kind of leads to another question: why the hell would people watch Fox "News" in the first place let alone take them seriously...

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 12:03 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
If as CRT asserts, all of societies' structures and institutions are built (consciously or un-conciously) around white persons predilections and biases, Would not CRT also be built upon the bias of it's creators?

Social science has been investigating drivers in societies and cultures. Race presents a real variable in outcomes. In the US, race will bias those outcomes and is measurable. There is a clear stratification with white being on top. So, CRT is supported by data.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 12:11 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The information commons is a critical piece of this.

Out of curiosity are you familiar at all with Daniel Schmachtenberger, Samo Burja, or The Concilience Project at all? It's something you might want to look at.

The reason I brought that up - people are able to crap in the epistemic pool and get away with it primarily because our information commons are a mess. There are a lot of people actively trying to fix that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 12:20 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
As far as destroying democracy, I think January 6 will indicate where the threat to democracy lies.

This is not a question of either or but both. One can spend a lot of time arguing which existential threat is worse. I am sure one “tribe” is more of a threat then the other. I choose not to spend much time engaging in that academic exercise. Both are existential threats and both strengthen each other by seemingly validating each other. That is why we are in a hell of lot of trouble.

This is simply false equivalency: the both sides do it too argument. And this is your fallacy with your spin on CRT. You are simply pointing to the fringe and not looking in the middle. There is no question the right in this country has moved to extremes while the left has been stayed in the center. Name the last time our Capitol was attacked to overturn an election? Name the last time a physical attack on or democratic institutions was carried out and one political party block any investigation or recognition of that? If you think we are at a point in our history where there is an equivalency in right/left ideology, then you have not been paying attention.

We are in trouble because of political extremism on the right. You don't believe me. Well, lets take about rational gun control? Let talk about a rational climate policy? A tax policy? It is not the left/Democrats in this country that are blocking any discussion on that. Unless you think changing the orbit of the moon should be investigated?

There is no equivalency the threats are different. I said one sides threat is probably more then the other. The rights threat is more lethal, the left is more through gaining control of institutions, academia, and language usage. You like CRT, I view it as a threat. Why should I care which thing I view as an existential threat is worse when both are a big time problem to me. Most people by definition are not on the extreme. As far moderates there is no such thing of any consequence at the moment. Too much enabling, excusing, denial all over the place because the other side IS an existential threat.

As far as the right I am the OP of this thread and the Conservative Cancel culture one so it is not as if I ignore the right.

As far as that orbit thing as far as I am concerned let them waste as much time and energy on it as possible.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 12:23 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Hypothetical opposite situation of my original scenario. Killing of autistic goes viral, there are Autistic Lives Matter “mostly peaceful” protests and riots everywhere. Eugenist Teddy Roosevelt statues knocked down, ABA clinics and Autism Speaks places burnt to the ground. Critical Neurology Theory becomes a thing, people told to check their NT privilege, all NT’s are ableist due to said privilege and better yet get rid of their social hierarchy bullying Neurotypicality. This is taught in schools, mandatory courses in companies. While I wish it were not so I have to admit there would be at least some emotional satisfaction for me in that scenario. I would expect and hope I would recognize the nightmare that would be.

But most people who don't have a disability are unaware of ableism and would probably benefit from being more aware of it. Even people who have a disability sometimes struggle when dealing with people more severely or differently disabled than they are.

The world wouldn't be obliged to make our perspectives the only ones heard, but society would benefit from listening to them even if at first they need to be presented in a very pro-active manner to ensure they're heard.

My scenario goes well beyond awareness to overcorrection.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:09 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Social science has been investigating drivers in societies and cultures. Race presents a real variable in outcomes. In the US, race will bias those outcomes and is measurable. There is a clear stratification with white being on top. So, CRT is supported by data.

So in countries where the majority is non-white would we not see the inverse? With the stratification of the non-white on top and whites being relegated to the lower tiers of society?

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:15 pm

Does anyone know where to look for an online CRT course? I would be interested in getting firsthand experience on this subject.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:22 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
As far as destroying democracy, I think January 6 will indicate where the threat to democracy lies.

This is not a question of either or but both. One can spend a lot of time arguing which existential threat is worse. I am sure one “tribe” is more of a threat then the other. I choose not to spend much time engaging in that academic exercise. Both are existential threats and both strengthen each other by seemingly validating each other. That is why we are in a hell of lot of trouble.

This is simply false equivalency: the both sides do it too argument. And this is your fallacy with your spin on CRT. You are simply pointing to the fringe and not looking in the middle. There is no question the right in this country has moved to extremes while the left has been stayed in the center. Name the last time our Capitol was attacked to overturn an election? Name the last time a physical attack on or democratic institutions was carried out and one political party block any investigation or recognition of that? If you think we are at a point in our history where there is an equivalency in right/left ideology, then you have not been paying attention.

We are in trouble because of political extremism on the right. You don't believe me. Well, lets take about rational gun control? Let talk about a rational climate policy? A tax policy? It is not the left/Democrats in this country that are blocking any discussion on that. Unless you think changing the orbit of the moon should be investigated?

There is no equivalency the threats are different. I said one sides threat is probably more then the other. The rights threat is more lethal, the left is more through gaining control of institutions, academia, and language usage. You like CRT, I view it as a threat. Why should I care which thing I view as an existential threat is worse when both are a big time problem to me. Most people by definition are not on the extreme. As far moderates there is no such thing of any consequence at the moment. Too much enabling, excusing, denial all over the place because the other side IS an existential threat.

As far as the right I am the OP of this thread and the Conservative Cancel culture one so it is not as if I ignore the right.

As far as that orbit thing as far as I am concerned let them waste as much time and energy on it as possible.

But is your fear rational? From my point of view, you are simply stating a culture war talking point. Someone asked if any of us have actually had experience with CRT. I have through my policy work. What you are imagining is simply not true, but right-wing talking points.

So why are we not talking about the real threats instead of inventing a political boogie man? You don't think racism is a threat? You don't think is is systemic? Well, the data shows otherwise. You can try to deflect by misrepresenting CRT: CRT is not the issue. Until you can accept that racism is real and systemic, we are just locked into a war of words. CRT is not the problem, it is just an excuse.

We have so many existential threats facing our society, yet you are still making the mistake that it is about sides. It is not. What is the issue and what evidence-based solutions do we have to address those issues? Those solutions are not going to fit nicely into your ideology. The only reason I am not threatened by CRT is that it is support by evidence. And like any social science theory, it will only stand on supporting evidence. Reality really does not care what you think or whether it is conservative or liberal.

And that is the fundamental problem: it is just ideology. I am not against capitalism. But it only has a narrow sphere in which it works. The ideology that it is an all encompassing system is simply not supported by evidence. Nor is it the endpoint to a functioning society. We have a serious racial problem. Your solution seem to be to ignore it or only define it in terms that are comfortable for you. But what if that won't work? For heavens sake, we are still fighting the Civil War 150 years since it ended. Could it be we need to rethink the issue to find a solution?

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:27 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

So in countries where the majority is non-white would we not see the inverse? With the stratification of the non-white on top and whites being relegated to the lower tiers of society?

Specifically, which country? South Africa during apartheid had the white minority population at the top of society. It is not about the proportion of the population, but the distribution of power and those that create and enforce those systems. In an equitable system, outcomes would not change based on a particular variable like race.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
What do those people not like about studying systemic racism and the fact that America was literally built by people of color whom white-run corporations continue to exploit for cheap and disposable labor?  Are they afraid that their children would feel bad about slavery?  Does it scare them that white people may be sympathetic toward people of color?  Do they have a deeply-rooted phobia against sharing their rights and privileges with people of other races?

didnt you see the crazy lady in the other thread?

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:41 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
This kind of leads to another question: why the hell would people watch Fox "News" in the first place let alone take them seriously...

the same education that leads to people taking Ted Turner and A Cooper seriously

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:46 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Specifically, which country? South Africa during apartheid had the white minority population at the top of society. It is not about the proportion of the population, but the distribution of power and those that create and enforce those systems. In an equitable system, outcomes would not change based on a particular variable like race.

Any country where the majority is non-white. Are there countries where the power dynamic is inverse?
I find it hard to believe that white people occupy the top of society wherever they happen to find themselves. If they do; then Why?

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:48 pm

The_Znof wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:

the same education that leads to people taking Ted Turner and A Cooper seriously

The same media that participated in the Covid Cover up is also telling us that it is racist to be against CRT.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 2:02 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
What do those people not like about studying systemic racism and the fact that America was literally built by people of color whom white-run corporations continue to exploit for cheap and disposable labor?  Are they afraid that their children would feel bad about slavery?  Does it scare them that white people may be sympathetic toward people of color?  Do they have a deeply-rooted phobia against sharing their rights and privileges with people of other races?

It is being taught to get rid of your whiteness, that if you are born white you are automatically racist because you are automatically privileged, it is that merit is inherently racist, that the goal of colorblindness is inherently racist, that individualism is a cover up for racism, that most human interaction in America is overtly, covertly, consciously or subconsciously racist that people object to.

Isn't abandoning whiteness obligatory to build the sort of colourblind world that you express desiring?

Ultimately other colour type identities exist only as a contrast to whiteness. Whiteness as a social concept is a relic of colonialism and rejecting the concept as a society is important if one wants to build a society where their national identity no longer treats non-whites as perpetual foreigners who can never truly be full citizens.

Their is a difference in acknowledging how one is born and judging peoples quality and character by how they were born. Whiteness is a pejorative, a judgement based on how people were born racist, privileged, fragile etc.

Whiteness and white privilege are worthwhile concepts that are not meant as mere pejoratives.
Attempting to reduce them to pejoratives seems like a shady attempt at invalidating them.

I have no way of knowing the intent of the originators but assuming good intent sometimes the road in hell is paved with good intentions. White Privilege looks at a real problem backwards. The problem is if you are in a majority you have a much better chance of being at a disadvantage then if you are a member of the majority. There is nothing
inherent to the white race about this. What is defined as white privilege is often a matter of being treated as one should be. Discrimination is the issue.

As far as whiteness goes I see nothing inherently worthwhile in a concept that defines a bunch of negative traits to a race.l

A bit off topic, CRT is a repeat of a mistake made a half century ago. The idea behind fair housing laws was to end discrimination and thus by actual interaction with black people negative stereotypes would ease. Busing was designed to get that familiarity process started at an impressionable age. Fair housing laws were not and have never been enforced in more than a cursory manner. They did try busing but gave up after a few years in the face of violent resistance. It did prove the north was as if not more racist then the south but that was about it. That result was predictable, when you try and work around parents the “momma bear” effect comes into play and all reason goes out the window, pure instinct takes over. Which is what is happening now with CRT.

Enforcing fair housing law means hiring a lot of testers. The black tester asks for an all black neighborhood and gets sold a house. White tester asks for a house in the same neighborhood and gets told there are a lot of gangs in the area, bingo real estate company fined. Same deal if house sold to white testers after telling the black tester the property has been sold. The testers of course offer the same amount of money. Same thing with individual homeowners. For each violation, the fines go up.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 18 Jun 2021, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 2:34 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:

But is your fear rational? From my point of view, you are simply stating a culture war talking point. Someone asked if any of us have actually had experience with CRT. I have through my policy work. What you are imagining is simply not true, but right-wing talking points.

So why are we not talking about the real threats instead of inventing a political boogie man? You don't think racism is a threat? You don't think is is systemic? Well, the data shows otherwise. You can try to deflect by misrepresenting CRT: CRT is not the issue. Until you can accept that racism is real and systemic, we are just locked into a war of words. CRT is not the problem, it is just an excuse.

We have so many existential threats facing our society, yet you are still making the mistake that it is about sides. It is not. What is the issue and what evidence-based solutions do we have to address those issues? Those solutions are not going to fit nicely into your ideology. The only reason I am not threatened by CRT is that it is support by evidence. And like any social science theory, it will only stand on supporting evidence. Reality really does not care what you think or whether it is conservative or liberal.

And that is the fundamental problem: it is just ideology. I am not against capitalism. But it only has a narrow sphere in which it works. The ideology that it is an all encompassing system is simply not supported by evidence. Nor is it the endpoint to a functioning society. We have a serious racial problem. Your solution seem to be to ignore it or only define it in terms that are comfortable for you. But what if that won't work? For heavens sake, we are still fighting the Civil War 150 years since it ended. Could it be we need to rethink the issue to find a solution?

I am going by of mainly the research of Christopher Rufo a magna cum laude graduate of Georgetown University and a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute about how this is being carried out in practice. Now I hope I am a sheepie being duped and CRT is a great thing because while it would a blow to my ego and reputation it would be good for the country. If he is running a scam or a psych op it will be revealed in time. The media and activists that support CRT have to be trying hard as hell to find something on the guy. It has to be more than one or two gotcha type mistakes, or he said so and so back then.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 18 Jun 2021, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.