Kicked out of mosque because of my body odour

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Ghulam Asadiq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jun 2021, 5:42 pm

Some of you might remember when I posted about my suffering with body odour that makes me stink like rotting cabbage after I started on the bipolar meds and the issue someone at the mosque I go to having issues with my body odour.

I've still not managed to rid myself of my rotting cabbage smell and I still get picked on because of it by those around me in the supported living accommodation I live in.

Even though I explained the issue thoroughly, this morning after the early morning prayer session, the same guy as last time took to me to one side again and this time told me until I get my body odour sorted, I'm no longer welcomed in the mosque.

There are other mosques in the city I live in, but having Aspergers makes it hard for me to cope with adjusting to a new routine of traveling to a different area to go to a mosque for prayers. :(

salad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 7:24 pm

Ghulam Asadiq wrote:
Some of you might remember when I posted about my suffering with body odour that makes me stink like rotting cabbage after I started on the bipolar meds and the issue someone at the mosque I go to having issues with my body odour.

I've still not managed to rid myself of my rotting cabbage smell and I still get picked on because of it by those around me in the supported living accommodation I live in.

Even though I explained the issue thoroughly, this morning after the early morning prayer session, the same guy as last time took to me to one side again and this time told me until I get my body odour sorted, I'm no longer welcomed in the mosque.

There are other mosques in the city I live in, but having Aspergers makes it hard for me to cope with adjusting to a new routine of traveling to a different area to go to a mosque for prayers. :(

If Prophet Muhammad was alive he would tell you to pray at home to respect the congregation as body odor isdistracting. Knowing your intention though is one of yearning to pray in Jama'ah according to a Saheeh Hadith you get the same good deeds as one who does pray in Jam'ah.

The Quran even talks glowingly about those during the battle of Tabuk who wanted to fight with Prophet but couldn't and how they were overflowing with tears of sincere regret at not getting to participate in Tabuk, yet their intention to join the Prophet earned them a reward and praise from God

Master Oogway

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 8:58 pm

I can't speak to the religious aspects of this, but I do want to suggest you talk to your doctor who prescribed the meds. Often a different medication can be substituted with different side effects. It's worth asking about, anyway.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 5:29 am

Disability discrimination

Not everyone has the same olfactory acuity

Not everyone hates the same fragrances

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 5:50 am

Why not give the person who has told you to leave the mosque a nosepeg. There. Problem solved! :D

Question. Does anyone have faith in God in the mosque? Then why are they not praying for you so that you are healed from the body odour issue? Where is their faith as God is a Creator?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 5:57 am

Ghulam Asadiq wrote:
Some of you might remember when I posted about my suffering with body odour that makes me stink like rotting cabbage after I started on the bipolar meds

That sure is a nasty side-effect of your bipolar meds! Have you discussed with your psychiatrist what can be done about this? Are there other meds that could be prescribed instead? Also, have you researched possible ways to counteract the odor?

Ghulam Asadiq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2021, 8:17 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Ghulam Asadiq wrote:
Some of you might remember when I posted about my suffering with body odour that makes me stink like rotting cabbage after I started on the bipolar meds

That sure is a nasty side-effect of your bipolar meds! Have you discussed with your psychiatrist what can be done about this? Are there other meds that could be prescribed instead? Also, have you researched possible ways to counteract the odor?

I've discussed it with them, but there's no other meds that'll work, if I don't take these ones, I can't function at all, I'd just keep going into delusional rant mode, last time I did that, I ended up getting what we call in the UK an 'anti social behavioral order' banning me from setting foot in the vast majority of the town center of my home town, I was unaware of it at the time, but the police told me people said when they alerted the police about my 'anti social behavior' I was 'off my head with delusional rants about government conspiracies'. I ended up having to wear an ankle tag and report to a probation officer once a week for two months.

I was told that the meds I'm taking are causing me to stink like rotting cabbage because my metabolism can't break down the meds properly or something similar.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 8:54 am

Disability discrimination lawsuit takes a lot of time, money and energy. The outcome not guaranteed

It's easier for everyone if you go to a different mosque or Zoom

Sometimes it appears that there is always someone on your back. Micromanaging. They won't "pick your battles". They cross examination and CIA interrogation every slightest thing, just because they don't like or understand it. While they "have a right to refuse service to anyone" is correct, your description sounds , to me, like, bullying. Especially for a religious building, it just sounds like they ought to be more diverse, receptive, tolerant and understanding. Not everyone is the same.

If you have tried to explain it to them, and they still give you a hard time, please go to a different one

If you want you could leave them bad reviews on Yelp or something like that

Ghulam Asadiq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2021, 3:41 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Disability discrimination lawsuit takes a lot of time, money and energy. The outcome not guaranteed

It's easier for everyone if you go to a different mosque or Zoom

Sometimes it appears that there is always someone on your back. Micromanaging. They won't "pick your battles". They cross examination and CIA interrogation every slightest thing, just because they don't like or understand it. While they "have a right to refuse service to anyone" is correct, your description sounds , to me, like, bullying. Especially for a religious building, it just sounds like they ought to be more diverse, receptive, tolerant and understanding. Not everyone is the same.

If you have tried to explain it to them, and they still give you a hard time, please go to a different one

If you want you could leave them bad reviews on Yelp or something like that

I still haven't got my body odor issue sorted, I still stink like rotting cabbage, but I've now found a different mosque to worship Allah at and so far, nobody has said anything to me except to welcome me as a newbie to the mosque.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 4:13 am

I lived in Malaysia which is a muslim country for three years and used to visit mosques occasionally out of curiosity.

I observed ablutions (washing of arms and legs) of the faithful at Friday prayers prior to entry into the mosque, practicing personal hygiene is considered mandatory prior to entry to a mosque (in Malaysia mosques and prayer houses were called masjids). I would assume hygiene would include body odour. The mosque always smelled clean even when it was full of men. At the entrance there would be deodorants at the entrance as many of the men were coming from worksites nearby,

But the question is this ordained in the Al-Quran or is it part of the hadith?
The prophet mohammed made it clear that one had to always wear clean clothes and personal grooming is a matter of importance, The prophet mohammed was also sensitive to bad smells according to the Hadith but there doesn't seem to be anything explicit in the Quran? there is some mention of bad breath and odour being offensive but nothing explicit about being forbidden to enter a mosque?

So I think mosques are probably in the right to ask people to leave if they smell if it offends other followers. But I mean, nothing to stop the OP from praying at home.

Ghulam Asadiq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2021, 4:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
I lived in Malaysia which is a muslim country for three years and used to visit mosques occasionally out of curiosity.

I observed ablutions (washing of arms and legs) of the faithful at Friday prayers prior to entry into the mosque, practicing personal hygiene is considered mandatory prior to entry to a mosque (in Malaysia mosques and prayer houses were called masjids). I would assume hygiene would include body odour. The mosque always smelled clean even when it was full of men. At the entrance there would be deodorants at the entrance as many of the men were coming from worksites nearby,

But the question is this ordained in the Al-Quran or is it part of the hadith?
The prophet mohammed made it clear that one had to always wear clean clothes and personal grooming is a matter of importance, The prophet mohammed was also sensitive to bad smells according to the Hadith but there doesn't seem to be anything explicit in the Quran? there is some mention of bad breath and odour being offensive but nothing explicit about being forbidden to enter a mosque?

So I think mosques are probably in the right to ask people to leave if they smell if it offends other followers. But I mean, nothing to stop the OP from praying at home.

I always shower and wear deodorant, but the rotting cabbage smell always cancels out the smell of my deodorant. Likewise, my breath stinks like rotting cabbage even though I always brush my teeth thoroughly.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 9:37 pm

Ghulam Asadiq wrote:
I always shower and wear deodorant, but the rotting cabbage smell always cancels out the smell of my deodorant. Likewise, my breath stinks like rotting cabbage even though I always brush my teeth thoroughly.

I think you need to remove the "my muslim brothers don't understand" out of the equation and focus on the human nature of the people in the mosque. No amount of explanation is going to make them tolerate strong body odour of rotting cabbage regardless of your reasons. You need to accept that. You can give them educational videos, medical videos but they are not going to listen,

My advice is pray at home.