I am now confused about ASD and crime

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 9:32 pm

There is a research that traits related to High-functioning Autism may increase the probability of engaging criminal behaviors because of lack of empathy and social awareness.

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/high-functioning_autism

I don't know if if is true or not, but it is very interesting.

But there are other studies that point out that most people with ASD are ten times more likely to be victims and less likely to commit crimes than the general population.

I hope we can discuss about this, because as a person with High-functioning Autism, I feel very confused of what statistics or studies to believe anymore.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 1:16 am

I'm aware that autistic people can end up in the criminal justice system for various reasons, but I know that the research is clear that autism alone is not a risk for violent offending. Below is an article on a very large study that came to that conclusion.

Largest study to date finds autism alone does not increase risk of violent offending

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 3:55 am

Thank you! It makes sense.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 12:57 pm

unlike the High Functioning autism wiki!

Quote:
Behavior

An association between HFA and criminal behavior is not completely characterized. Several studies have shown that the features associated with HFA may increase the probability of engaging in criminal behavior.[19] While there is still a great deal of research that needs to be done in this area, recent studies on the correlation between HFA and criminal actions suggest that there is a need to understand the attributes of HFA that may lead to violent behavior. There have been several case studies that link the lack of empathy and social naïveté associated with HFA to criminal actions.[21]

I did start reading one of the studies and it looked cheezy AF. Its like Minority Report Part II, and instead of psychics they are polling Dr. Phils audience.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 1:31 pm

Thank you! I am sorry that I thought that there is a link between HFA and crime when it comes to only lack of social skills. Most people with ASD are ten times more likely to be victims and five times less likely to commit crimes than the general population.

But since ASD is a spectrum, I was wandering if there is a rare form of developmental disorder that causes Pervasive Developmental Disorder with symptoms of Antisocial Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I did some scientific research on "Criminal Autistic Psychopathy" if there is even such thing as once, but this condition is rare though.