Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AlternativeBaseball
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jun 2021, 9:39 pm

Have you ever attended and spectated a sporting event at a stadium before? If so, how was your experience? What can be done to make the experience more inclusive of those with autism and other disabilities? How can an organization work to make the experience to where more families can comfortably attend a sporting event? Do sports teams offer options for those with disabilities at their stadiums near you? As a sports professional, I'd love to hear your feedback. Tell me your experience. I'm working to make a stadium event inclusive as feasibly possible. Thank you!

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 1:07 am

The noise of stadium sports is what I find most overwhelming, but I find a good set of earplugs helps take the edge off. So many people is a bit daunting, but I if I went with someone I trusted I think it would be okay and I might enjoy a good game. I'm not sure what a sporting venue could do to make a game more inclusive. Maybe having some cheap disposable ear plugs available, or a safe place (quite and low light) to help if someone has a sensory overload. Maybe other members may have some other ideas.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2021, 2:25 pm

aquafelix wrote:
The noise of stadium sports is what I find most overwhelming, but I find a good set of earplugs helps take the edge off. So many people is a bit daunting, but I if I went with someone I trusted I think it would be okay and I might enjoy a good game. I'm not sure what a sporting venue could do to make a game more inclusive. Maybe having some cheap disposable ear plugs available, or a safe place (quite and low light) to help if someone has a sensory overload. Maybe other members may have some other ideas.

Yeah I would definitely say the noise thing would be a huge factor to give a space where they could get away from the noise. That is the biggest reason I've never attended an event like that. Also lots of times those events (especially at night) have fireworks which can be quite overwhelming. Maybe like a sound dampening room to escape to if need be? Or, make it clear when really noisy things like that are going to happen so they could get away if need be like highlighting it in the program as a notice. We like to be prepared! :)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 4:07 pm

I have only gone to one game, in High School. I got very cold, but my ride home depended upon attendance. It took me decades to realize that team sports illustrate team work, but I'm not a team player type. I think ball sports are boring and senseless. I used to go to events that tested machines as well as men without distress, but now, I just don't like crowds. That was pre-covid - if I get bored, as I do, it takes longer to get away. I particularly loathe the Olympics, and boycott any sponsor for them that gets my attention. Amateur sport should be played in rented facilities around the world, with the winners flown to a central awards ceremony. Currently, all the money that could go to athletes is wasted on building facilities and general corruption. From what I hear, ticket and refreshment prices are also far higher than I would consider paying. Boredom is really not that big an issue with an AS head.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jun 2021, 3:42 am

AlternativeBaseball wrote:
Have you ever attended and spectated a sporting event at a stadium before? If so, how was your experience? What can be done to make the experience more inclusive of those with autism and other disabilities? How can an organization work to make the experience to where more families can comfortably attend a sporting event? Do sports teams offer options for those with disabilities at their stadiums near you? As a sports professional, I'd love to hear your feedback. Tell me your experience. I'm working to make a stadium event inclusive as feasibly possible. Thank you!

I played darts and even joined a team.
It was a very AS friendly environment I think.
I loved the feeling when they game started. Sure, I never played any professional game so I was never a pro.
You say that sporting evens are difficult for people with ASD but it can be ok for some.