25 Movies That Did Not Need A Sequel At All!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 10:00 pm

Do you agree with this list?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/reviews/25-movies-that-definitely-did-not-need-a-sequel/ss-BB19LxEl?ocid=msedgntp

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 1:37 pm

There are some acclaimed movies - like "Jaws" and "The Exorcist" - whose legacies have been marred by their sequels... And "Blues Brothers 2000" was probably first and foremost a homage to the late (and irreplaceable) John Belushi...

But "The Terminator"?

As I recall, "Terminator 2: Judgement Day" is often considered by critics to be one of the *best* sequels of all time, along with "The Godfather, part II" and "Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back".

As for the *very* best sequel, though:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 4:10 pm

Cube

I have no idea why I like this movie so much, but if anybody is not familiar with this movie, it's about a group of people (who have absolutely nothing in common) who are trapped inside a giant cube with thousands of rooms, some of which have traps in them. Each person has a skill that can contribute as leads to find answers as to why they were chosen to be imprisoned inside the giant structure.

Although cult status was achieved several years later, its status was mauled by a
disappointing sequel called Cube 2: Hypercube and a just-as-lame prequel
called Cube Zero that were both released DTV in 2003 and 2006.

Cube 2: Hypercube was just a rehash of the first one except with different characters.

Although IMO it was great to learn of how the cube was built in Cube Zero, I didn't think it was needed.
IMO, it just ruined the entire mystery of the cube structure.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 10:56 am

The Butterfly Effect

The Man from Earth

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

It's easier to think of movies that could've used different sequels than they actually got.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 8:25 pm

I haven't seen most of the sequels mentioned in this, but I totally disagree on First Blood - I think the Rambo series is a revealing document of American propaganda at its comedically worst. The films are desperately trying to find - or create - meaning in some the wars the US has fought but in hindsight prefers not to talk about too much. I mean, is there any other contemporary fictionalized (i.e. artificially made meaningful) account of the war against the Soviets in Afghanistan? Any other attempt to portray the Taliban high-fiving Americans?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 6:15 pm

American Graffiti will always be a classic of American cinema, but whatever George Lucas had in mind when he came up with the idea for More American Graffiti was IMO wrong.

His ineptitude picking successors of course continued with the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy in which he couldn't convince anyone he knew personally to direct any of them ranging from Steven Spielberg to Robert Zemeckis to even Ron Howard, who of course reshot most of Solo: A Star Wars Story.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 6:50 pm

Pumpkinhead was a good horror movie ruined by absolutely garbage sequels.

And Carrie was another true horror classic ruined by mediocre remakes (to remake a true classic not once but TWICE is an unforgivable!)

♤ The Military

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 6:59 pm

The Sequel Trilogy of Star Wars, namely The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and The Rise of Skywalker.

Disney had utterly disregarded the EU, and made up something totally different that's like a huge insult to the fans.

If you ask me, the Star Wars Saga ended at Return of the Jedi. End of story. :roll:

Well, Disney eventually did recanonize some things from the EU, but still.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 7:17 am

1. The Nut Job, which is just stupid

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 4:19 pm

The Land Before Time