Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 12:01 am

I’m curious to see how others do on this test. I got 12/20 correct. I found it kind of challenging when I expected it to be easy.. because some of the answers were similar to eachother.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/quizze ... /take_quiz

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 12:54 am

My score was 14/20 - "Not bad. Your score means you're slightly better than the average at reading expressions".

I generally do okay reading others emotions from their faces. It's what people say and do which confuse me and I have more problems with executive functioning and sensory issues. I guess that shows how autistic people can be different in what things they have trouble with. This test reminds me of the 'Reading the Mind in the Eyes' test where I got a similar "better than the average" score. I think I like the mind in the eyes test better.

Thanks for posting

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 3:11 am

aquafelix wrote:
My score was 14/20 - "Not bad. Your score means you're slightly better than the average at reading expressions".

Me too. Though I can see possible weaknesses in the methodology - in real life I wouldn't usually have as much time to deliberate and I wouldn't get a set of 4 possible options to choose from. I think to some extent I was using general intelligence to deduce the likely answers in some cases, without really knowing the answer on a gut level.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 5:11 am

I actually did quite well with 12 out of 20. Most was complete guesswork and some that I did not have a clue on I just picked one and it was right! Haha. I could have picked any on two or three as the face did not match any of the discriptions and somehow I got them right! :P (If it was out of 100 or 200 faces then the real picture may show I just picked any one of them for those type of faces as luck would not come into it.

Where I know I sometimes fail at is telling the difference between a lady who fancies me, and a lady who is just being nice. I have to assume that all ladies are just being nice incase I get it wrong like I did in the past and ask for a date and they are downright rude to me. (Why did they just not simply say "No" like us men have to do if we decide not to or are spoken for? Why do women feel the right to be downright rude because I am a man?) I stopped asking women out in my teens. I did ask one or two when I thought they were available but I got it wrong so I gave up trying as women are so confusing I just gave up trying, and the few times I have actually properly dated were it was what I call a sucessful date, they asked me out directly. I never have had succes by trying on my behalf if one looks at my lifes past history which isn't much.

Other emotions I think I am ok on, except I do find some people can become very suddenly angry with me without any warning and I don't know why... But that is their problem, not mine. If they don't tell me then how am I to know? I just leave them to it as I have spent years in the past of hurting myself by revisiting every second of what happened leading up to such an event in my memory where I will never know what made them angry... So it is just one of those things?

OkaySometimes
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2021, 6:40 am

I got 14/20, but the test was more useful to me in a slightly different way. Looking at and reading their descriptions of facial emotional expression, I noticed that my facial expressions for some emotions are VERY different from what is described. Also, I agree that I had much more time to full-on stare at the faces and try to read them than what I would be able to take in a face-to-face interaction.

Or... Maybe... What I'm learning from this is that when I'm interacting with a person, I should level my intense stare at their face 8O so that I can read their emotions about half the time. That would certainly cut down on the amount of interaction I have with others. :lol:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 7:09 am

OkaySometimes wrote:
I got 14/20, but the test was more useful to me in a slightly different way. Looking at and reading their descriptions of facial emotional expression, I noticed that my facial expressions for some emotions are VERY different from what is described. Also, I agree that I had much more time to full-on stare at the faces and try to read them than what I would be able to take in a face-to-face interaction.

Or... Maybe... What I'm learning from this is that when I'm interacting with a person, I should level my intense stare at their face 8O so that I can read their emotions about half the time. That would certainly cut down on the amount of interaction I have with others. :lol:

If they had a box E that said "None of the above boxes" I would have entered box E for almost half of the pictures I saw, as a good half of them I had to guess the next closest thing to what I thought the face actually meant as there were no descriptions equal to the ones I thought they were.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 10:26 am

Your Score: 15/20
Not bad. Your score means you're better than the average at reading expressions.

I think a lot of the facial expressions were exaggerated though. Facial expressions are more subtle than that and are not black and white.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 11:01 am

There are limits to still photography as a marker of emotion. For one thing they don't show action in time - things such as rolling the eyes, a nervous cough or stutter, biting a lip, etc. For another thing, they don't show things that might be auditory, not visual, such as a voice with a rising or aggressive tone, a low chuckle, wheezing, etc.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 11:09 am

Wow Joe90. You did well. Lets see if anyone can beat your score.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2021, 2:11 pm

Yeah I got 12/20, not too bad. Some of them seem like it could be multiple emotions being expressed, hard to pick the right one.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2021, 2:13 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Not bad. Your score means you're better than the average at reading expressions.

I think a lot of the facial expressions were exaggerated though. Facial expressions are more subtle than that and are not black and white.

I agree the more subtle expressions can be hard to read. Lol I'll look at people and their subtle expressions and be like thinking in my head "are you constipated? Looks like you might be constipated". Lol! Heck with my husband to understand sarcasm coming from him (I still have a hard time even after over a decade of marriage), he has to do this exaggerated face expression and then I'm like oh ok gottcha sarcasm!

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2021, 2:14 pm

Joe90 wrote:

I agree the more subtle expressions can be hard to read. Lol I'll look at people and their subtle expressions and be like thinking in my head "are you constipated? Looks like you might be constipated". Lol! Heck with my husband to understand sarcasm coming from him (I still have a hard time even after over a decade of marriage), he has to do this exaggerated face expression that goes with it to clue me in and then I'm like oh ok gottcha sarcasm!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 2:38 pm

Quote:
Your Score: 11/20

You've got some work to do. Your score places you below average at reading expressions. But don't worry: Research suggests that people can improve their emotion recognition skills with practice.
"Work to do"! Hah! It took me 66 years to work up to this level. I think I've peaked.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 2:53 pm

I don't think I needed to work on recognise facial expressions. It just comes to me.

If 15 is above average then that means some NTs must get some wrong on the test too. For most of the questions, two of the answers given seem to be right. Like a person could be using the same facial expressions for both fear and embarrassment, or could be feeling both at the same time like if you have social anxiety and are experiencing an embarrassing situation you could be expressing fear at the same time. There are no exact rules of which precise facial expressions one is going to pull for every precise emotion. Facial expressions are more complex than tone of voice, I find.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 2:56 pm

Joe90 wrote:

I got the same score, and the same comment.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 2:58 pm

Your Score: 3/20

yes im autistic...