How important is the other person's job?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2021, 9:26 am

It's not necessarily about the person's money or status. But it can show lifestyle and values. Are they a workaholic? Do they travel a lot? How much free time do they have?

For some people, it may be a dealbreaker if the person's job is fundamentally opposed to their political/religious/ethical views. And it can be a plus if their job is about something their interested in.

Scheduling is a factor too. People who work at similar times can spend their off-time together. But if one person works a 9-to-5 and the other person works nights and weekends, there's less availability.

To me personally, the other person's job or income doesn't matter to me at all as long as they can support themselves and the job isn't stressful enough to negatively impact our relationship.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 10:24 pm

I would rather marry someone who is in the same job/career field as myself which is entrepreneur.I think i like it better that way because its more freedom for my wife and me in the future than both having 9 to 5's.It would allow a lot more free time if we did it right.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 1:57 am

While it is natural to be drawn to people whose profession suggests you share a lot of similarities, it was never something that could make or break my interest in someone. We either had enough ways to connect over the full spectrum of interests, background, work, etc ... or we didn't.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 1:58 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I would rather marry someone who is in the same job/career field as myself which is entrepreneur.I think i like it better that way because its more freedom for my wife and me in the future than both having 9 to 5's.It would allow a lot more free time if we did it right.

Remember that the work someone does today doesn't have to be the work they do tomorrow.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 5:39 am

True but being a entrepreneur could possibly give me and my wife more free time and quality of life than if we were both working 9 to 5s.....thats partly why i think a woman who is in the same line of work as me would be optimal.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 5:47 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
True but being a entrepreneur could possibly give me and my wife more free time and quality of life than if we were both working 9 to 5s.....thats partly why i think a woman who is in the same line of work as me would be optimal.

Or she could have a skill useful in supporting your work. She could be your CFO or your head of marketing. That is the sort of arrangement I usually see with serial entrepreneurs, more often than not.

Or … she has the steady job that keeps the bills paid in the zero revenue years.

There are many compatible variations.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 5:52 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

90% of startups fail tho.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 11:41 am

True.But i think its worth the risk.Its high risk high reward.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 11:45 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Or she could have a skill useful in supporting your work. She could be your CFO or your head of marketing. That is the sort of arrangement I usually see with serial entrepreneurs, more often than not.

Or … she has the steady job that keeps the bills paid in the zero revenue years.

There are many compatible variations.

I think a good arrangement would be if her occupation in the family business could as a real estate professional or anynumber of things.I figure i would just borrow living expense money and get a great deal from a bank or credit union in zero-profit years.The CFO role could be a good role.Or maybe she could be a nurse or teacher or help with family philanthopy

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 20 Jun 2021, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 11:51 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

It depends, there is this saying "entrepreneur is a person who works 80 hours a week to avoid working 40". There are a lot of entrepreneurs who essentially work 24/7 and their whole life is just work and stress. And a lot of people having 9 to 5 job leave their work related worries in the office and live much happier life having better work/life balance.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 12:15 pm

badRobot wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

It depends, there is this saying "entrepreneur is a person who works 80 hours a week to avoid working 40". There are a lot of entrepreneurs who essentially work 24/7 and their whole life is just work and stress. And a lot of people having 9 to 5 job leave their work related worries in the office and live much happier life having better work/life balance.

My ideal life of being a entrepreneur would be to have people manage the business for me and the wife so we could spend as much time out of the office as we want.But you do raise a good point.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 3:59 am

It is usually important for a woman that that a prospective partner i) has a job and ii) earns substantially more than than they do so when they have kids they can potentially survive on one income.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 4:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
It is usually important for a woman that that a prospective partner i) has a job and ii) earns substantially more than than they do so when they have kids they can potentially survive on one income.

Or that the man be willing to take on primary childcare responsibility. I know many families that flipped the script. Sometimes it just makes sense.

What women aren't willing to do is support a man who wants to sit on the couch all day, refuse to help with the household, and then treats them like crap.

When I got engaged, I was earning more than my husband.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 4:34 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Or that the man be willing to take on primary childcare responsibility. I know many families that flipped the script. Sometimes it just makes sense.

What women aren't willing to do is support a man who wants to sit on the couch all day, refuse to help with the household, and then treats them like crap.=.

The latter is totally understandable. The former is not that common and the script is flipped if the woman knows the man is capable of going back into the workforce once their parent duties are complete.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 5:22 am

I would have to think twice about dating someone from certain professions. One is the medical profession because apart from me not liking hospitals due to them being a shutdown trigger, they are always in work... I used to know someone who may have fancied me (My Mum said she did) and I did not mind taking her places as it was fun. We hardly went anywhere though because she was a nurse. We only went two places if I recall? The first I took her, and the second she took me. This took ages to arrange due to her shifts. I am talking about months rather then weeks for her to have a day off that she was available. It was probably why I did not class it as a date because to me, if one has to wait months and one does not live that far away (Less then 15 miles) it will never happen.

Another young lady... Well. An elderly couple I knew used to tell me about a certain lady in church would make an ideal person for me to date and they knew her well, and they wanted me to get in touch. I contacted her but in an entire three week period she said she did not have a day off, as every day there was either a church meeting which she did not want to miss, a womens meeting or she was required for quior practice. When we went through three weeks of her scedule and she did not have a single day off, I thought "If she is not willing to give up just one evening to be with me for even a single hour then it is a no, and I could not be bothered to wait.

Half the problem is when women are married to their profesion and won't make room for life outside of that. It puzzles me when they complain about being single. It is obvious to me as to why they are single as they won't make space or time for a man. They expect men to ask for a day off, but they themselves don't even ask.
If it does not work to make time to go for a date, then how will it ever work in married life should they ever get married?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm

Not important to me.