Finding motivation the second time around

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

WhatTheHey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2021, 10:45 pm

So a few years ago I went on a real health kick. Lost a bunch of weight, went from using a cane to walking unaided up monstrous hills. But then the holidays a few years ago happened, I went off my diet, my aches and pains came back, I lost my drive.

I've read that getting your motivation the **second** time is much harder than the first time, and I'm finding that to be true for myself. If anything, I need this health kick now more than ever, and yet I'm less motivated to get and keep doing what needs done than I was the first time. Found this to be true the second time I quit smoking, as well. Took me forever to get my drive back.

Anyone else experienced and gone past this?

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 6:32 am

It is much easier for me to stick to whatever I want to achieve when I consistently do several very simple things to keep my motivation and willpower high.

You can try to pick absolute minimum, what you can do every day for sure and stick with that. Do more only if you feel like it.

My mantra is "Sleeping with open window, 1 minute of intense burpees, 15 minutes of direct sunlight and 2 eggs a day keep depression away". Depression among other things means low motivation and low will power.

It will give you enough motivation to perpetuate your progress, growing like a snowball.

When picking your diet pick the one that is easier to stick to. Easy, slow and steady is much better than fast, but extremely hard. You can start by eating ketogenic diet food, but without any restrictions, eating as much as you want.

What helped me to stick with diet is ulysses contract approach, I eat before I go shopping groceries and don't buy what I should not be eating. Then it's impossible to cheat easily.

Another cool tool is coach.me app. You can track your progress, receive support and kudos from other users and find accountability pals.