Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2021, 11:31 pm

Has anyone else with autism been diagnosed with OCD and PTSD as well. I'm working with a psychiatrist to help me find the right combination of meds & sometimes it feels like it's never going to work out to my advantage and find the right combination that I need.

Steve B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2021, 6:51 am

Trauma is is a pretty common experience for folks on the spectrum. It's normal for it to take time (sometimes years) to find the right combination of medications as it requires some trial and error to find the right cocktail. Be patient and follow your psychiatrist's guidance with trying different meds. Don't give up to early. The right combination of medications could make your life easier

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jun 2021, 8:01 am

PTSD yes, OCD no...though I'm not sure about it. What I suspect might be OCD might just be an aspect of the PTSD, more maybe it does qualify as a disorder all on its own.

To my knowledge, I was never prescribed medication for my PTSD. Maybe it's just the mildness or specifics of it that don't necessitate medication. The most notable symptom was going mute when talking about certain things, or anxiety spikes when hearing/reading about certain things, so I'm not sure how medication would help except indirectly by treating some of my other issues to improve my quality of life, and thereby reduce stress and sensitivity.

Honestly, what's helped me the most is time, avoiding poking at it needlessly, and talking about what I can talk about when I feel ready to do so (and not having a listener who's pushy about it). Aside from that, I just try to focus on living my life well around it and letting it heal on its own. Maybe it's something to do with memory extinctioning. I constantly find myself eventually being able to do things I couldn't before.

Steve B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2021, 8:30 am

CinderashAutomaton wrote:
PTSD yes, OCD no...though I'm not sure about it. What I suspect might be OCD might just be an aspect of the PTSD, more maybe it does qualify as a disorder all on its own.

To my knowledge, I was never prescribed medication for my PTSD. Maybe it's just the mildness or specifics of it that don't necessitate medication. The most notable symptom was going mute when talking about certain things, or anxiety spikes when hearing/reading about certain things, so I'm not sure how medication would help except indirectly by treating some of my other issues to improve my quality of life, and thereby reduce stress and sensitivity.

Honestly, what's helped me the most is time, avoiding poking at it needlessly, and talking about what I can talk about when I feel ready to do so (and not having a listener who's pushy about it). Aside from that, I just try to focus on living my life well around it and letting it heal on its own. Maybe it's something to do with memory extinctioning. I constantly find myself eventually being able to do things I couldn't before.

Glad to hear things are improving with time. I wish you well!