I know we like our routines but how would you feel about…?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2021, 2:09 am

Moving to a much better place? Assuming that you don’t like where you live?

And is it only fear of the unknown before you settle in?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 2:18 am

I don't mind where I live.

In the UK you have to be pretty rich to be able to move to a more remote area. They lump all the working class people together in the big towns and cities in apartment blocks or on council estates. So some of us don't have much choice where we live.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2021, 2:23 am

How do you cope with the change?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 4:13 am

I've moved about 6 times, and changing of routines wasn't much of an issue. Even when the new place was in significant ways worse, it was the aspects of worseness that bothered me, not the routine changes. Usually it's been my decision to move. Some of those moves have involved very radical changes - once to another town, where I got a very different job and lifestyle as well. I did get some stress, though it didn't get clinical and it could be explained by certain dangers that I'd introduced into my life. Another time I moved to a different country, and again didn't get clinically stressed out, and the new dangers could explain what stress there was.

I think with changes to my routine, it's usually only an issue if it happens suddenly and it's out of my control. I usually dislike neutral changes being imposed on me, even good changes sometimes, though it's hard to know what's going on there because if I can see the benefit then that might be masking any discomfort from the change itself. Sometimes I change my routine in a neutral way to alleviate monotony. If I've decided to make a change, it means I sense that I'm ready for it. If a change is thrust upon me, there's no such safeguard.

Mind you, there are things I hate about moving these days. I kind of wish I'd just stayed in one place where I'd got everything arranged to my liking, instead of having to keep putting up shelves over and over again, etc. And I've accumulated tons of possessions, it's extremely hard work to box them all up and move them.

I'm dreading my next move, because the destination isn't my idea and doesn't look attractive to me, and because some of the changes will definitely be for the worse, and because this one will be a huge step into the unknown that will be almost impossible to turn back on, and I see it as rather more dangerous than anything I'd have chosen to do. But none of that is about change as such.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 7:20 am

Technic1 wrote:
Moving to a much better place? Assuming that you don’t like where you live?

And is it only fear of the unknown before you settle in?

I was super anxious each time, worrying about new neighbours. Would they be noisy or cause me problems? That's exactly what I got in the first place I lived away from parents. Same again the second time. Third time lucky. I never want to move again.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 12:29 pm

I would move. Preferably move away from any shared spaces.

Because there are no boundaries here. Because routines tend to die here.

I live in a chaotic house, with a laissez-faire like system only very evasive of everyone's space.

I'd definitely move in any place, where finally able to have any order to follow and enforce at all solely for my sake.

I do not mind any change that much. I'm good with major change.
Better if I have the energy to process it quickly.

In fact my family is willing to move out... Because we've been renting for years.
If it weren't for accessibility or conflicting/lack of plans or crappy overall management.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.