Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 1:08 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
It needs puzzle pieces and peace signs.

And glitter.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 1:18 am

Cant it just stay the way it is?...I like the one they already have, its nice to look at...but this, its like an eye nightmare to look at, like it is visual torture.

I have no problem with other flags that were incorporated but can't those just remain separate flags, that can perhaps be allied with the rainbow flag rather than mashing them all together in that way.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 8:18 am

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 4:31 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
So, you may have seen a redesign of the rainbow flag floating around the Internet recently. If not, here's the one I am going to be discussing in this thread :

From the title of the thread, you already know that I dislike this design. Now, here are my reasons why :

1) It's chaotic. Too many colours which makes it harsh on the eyes (bright yellow right next to white? Seriously?). It's not immediately clear what is being communicated here and this is confusing. From a graphic design perspective, this flag is breaking a lot of design rules and I don't think it's justified here.

2) Skin colour is more complex than what is being represented. I understand the sentiment and we definitely should be having conversations about intersectionality. However, it's not as simple as brown, black and white. What about countless other skin tones that are being overlooked? Such as particular Asian identities that don't fit into these skin tone categories?

3) Further on that topic, I think that it goes against the intended message. The fact that it's implied that the rainbow represents white people by adding the brown and black stripes in (which implies that POC weren't already included in the rainbow) just further enforces the idea that white is the expected state of being in the community rather than fighting against this narrative. I don't want to overstep here as a white person, but this does not sit well with me.

4) I've heard it said that the black stripe also represents the people in the community that have been lost due to AIDS. Conflating the two is confusing and could have some concerning implications.

5) Why add the Trans flag? This is what the blue, pink and white stripes represent. Yet again, I understand the sentiment, there should be more focus on Trans rights and this can be an overlooked part of the community. However, I think that the Trans flag works better as a stand alone flag than being awkwardly shoved onto the rainbow one. It looks like an afterthought rather than a carefully incorporated aspect of the flag.

6) I've never particularly been a fan of the design of the Intersex flag, but as a stand alone flag I think that it is OK and that it communicates what it needs to. For those wondering, Intersex is a category that includes a variety of medical conditions where an individual cannot easily be assigned male or female due to differences in chromosomes, reproductive or sexual anatomy etc.

7) This design would be a nightmare to print and distribute. Fortunately, it does not seem to be in popular use. I much prefer the simple rainbow design. Yes, I am aware that the rainbow was not the original design and that it used to have more stripes but it was simplified for distribution purposes (for example, to fit onto a post-box during pride events). Still, I think that redesign was enough then and it's enough now.

It's ugly. And does everyone under the glbtqa umbrella need a flag? I'd just go with the rainbow. It's pretty and everyone gets it.

lovelyanathema
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2022, 4:40 am

I agree with all the main points and have heard a lot of other people say similar.

the sentiment I've heard over all is the the rainbow flag alone is good enough and made everyone feel represented under it, and adding more things to it makes it confusing and less inclusive instead of more.

I agree, but honestly now that this "progressive" pride flag is floating around I don't think there's going to be any getting rid of it and reverting to the original rainbow pride flag because no one wants to actually listen to queer people, they just want to make it seem like they care to look good and not because they actually care.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2022, 12:57 pm

This is the first time I've seen a design that includes the intersex flag - which I had to google to confirm was the yellow/circle. The version just prior to this, which has been named the "progress flag," didn't have it. But I'm okay with it's addition.

At first I may have somewhat agreed with the OP, "Why change it?" BUT, then I read quite a few articles about why it Needs to change and agree 100% that the new version SHOULD be adopted by all on the LGBT spectrum as The Pride Flag.

The 6 colour rainbow flag represented Me, a mostly-white cis gay male, just fine. But there's far too much racism and discrimination within the LGBT community worldwide - a tiered/caste social hierarchy with white cis gay males at the top of the pyramid. The 6 colour rainbow flag has basically been adopted by cis gay white males as their/our Pride flag at the exclusion of others. IMO, white cis gay males should embrace the new design(s) as a symbol of an evolution of understanding of LGBT issues beyond our own lived experiences, a symbol of welcoming, understanding, unity & support. If that's what my trans & BIPOC gay and queer friends & peers need of us then that's the absolute Least we can do. Actual social changes and inclusion Also needs to happen, and bit by bit they will, but we can start with a symbolic flag and a more united community that defends the rights of trans people and others in the face of oppression from bigots, government/police, employers and anyone else.

Design wise maybe it's not so easy to look at since it's getting a little "busy," but MEANING wise, I am definitely more Proud to see this flag risen than the simpler 6 stripes. 8)

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2022, 9:42 am

What's interesting (to me at least) is that the progress flag is actually copyrighted, unlike the well-known six striped rainbow. So if you wanted to use Gilbert Baker's design in a commercial space, you would have no issue. However, if you wanted to use the progress flag, then you'd need the relevant permissions (otherwise you might end up in a bit of legal trouble).

^ This flag is public domain. Whilst he was alive, Gilbert wanted this design to be free for public use for everyone. At present, this flag is still available for public use in any context.

Daniel Quasar redesigned the flag. This flag is typically referred to as the progress flag and it is copyrighted. I would need permission if I wanted to use this flag in a commercial setting.

Which makes me wonder, what's the legal stance on this updated version of the progress flag?

I'll have to look into it at some point.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 6:09 am

Why can't we just have multiple flags instead of cramming everything into one flag?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 5:07 pm

Ettina wrote:
Why can't we just have multiple flags instead of cramming everything into one flag?

There are multiple flags. This one is to promote community equity regardless of gender identity or skin colour. The LGBT community is far too fragmented and this new "Progress Pride Flag," is meant to help bring it together better.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 6:15 am

So long as people in the community can choose which flag they prefer, then I don't think it'll be too big a problem. Division may come if people are forced to choose between one or the others. Personally I prefer the original flag, but have no problem with people preferring the newer ones instead.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 6:18 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
What's interesting (to me at least) is that the progress flag is actually copyrighted, unlike the well-known six striped rainbow. So if you wanted to use Gilbert Baker's design in a commercial space, you would have no issue. However, if you wanted to use the progress flag, then you'd need the relevant permissions (otherwise you might end up in a bit of legal trouble).

^ This flag is public domain. Whilst he was alive, Gilbert wanted this design to be free for public use for everyone. At present, this flag is still available for public use in any context.

Daniel Quasar redesigned the flag. This flag is typically referred to as the progress flag and it is copyrighted. I would need permission if I wanted to use this flag in a commercial setting.

Which makes me wonder, what's the legal stance on this updated version of the progress flag?

I'll have to look into it at some point.

umm why tamper with the rainbow flag?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 6:19 am

Murihiku wrote:
So long as people in the community can choose which flag they prefer, then I don't think it'll be too big a problem. Division may come if people are forced to choose between one or the others. Personally I prefer the original flag, but have no problem with people preferring the newer ones instead.

Who gets to decide?

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 6:21 am

Individual people can decide whichever flag they prefer to use themselves. We'll all have different preferences and reasons.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 6:23 am

Murihiku wrote:
Individual people can decide whichever flag they prefer to use themselves. We'll all have different preferences and reasons.

Trooping the colors?

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 6:53 am

^ Not sure what you mean. Like the Queen's Birthday celebration?

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2022, 7:27 am

Wikipedia has just revealed to me that this exists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Pride_Flag

I'm surprised I've never heard of that one before. Although from a graphic design point of view, I prefer Quasar's design.