What is the best movie no-one has ever head of?

Page 7 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 7:38 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
Noserfatu is another good one. A classic German silent horror movie. It's an obvious ripoff of Dracula but it did many things better than Bram Stoker's novel or the official Hollywood adaption.

you're talking F.W.Murnau, right? - yes, German expressionist films are great - so great Tim Burton built a career on ripping them off.

there's a remake of Nosferatu by Werner Herzog. it's pretty good.
what I like about it is that it's a historical film, the costumes and sets are there (shot in Delft, in the Netherlands) but they didn't do much in the sense of creating an eerie, surreal atmosphere. Daylight is just natural light, the caskets are just plain, freshly cut wood - no dust and cobwebs on them - just as you'd expect it in a surprise wave of mysterious deaths sweeping through the city.
It gives the film a strange realism, that contrasts well with Kinski's Vampire.

I never realized Tim Burton ripped them off? I used to love many of his movies when I was younger like Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd, but... I dunno. Hollowood (pun intended) has lost much of its appeal to me lately.

I never watched the Nosferatu: The Vampyre but I have seen the trailers for it and it looked really good. I think they have it on Tubi TV so maybe I'll check it out someday?

There's so many horror movies I never watched before that I want to finish. The Beyond (finished half of it), Suspiria, etc. I'm sure there's others too.

*ripped them off* - *was inspired by* - *makes heavy reference to* .... potato tomato.
but - the actor who plays Nosferatu had the name of Max Schreck (Schreck means 'scare' in German, but it is also a not incredibly rare surname - probably different etymology).
Anyway. Max Schreck is also the name of Christopher Walken's character in Batman Returns. - that's sort of the level of how much Burton is into German expressionist horror. And, of course, lots and lots of individual shots in his films that are straight copies from them. - he did a great job reviving the style and giving it a contemporary finish.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 7:42 pm

shlaifu wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
Noserfatu is another good one. A classic German silent horror movie. It's an obvious ripoff of Dracula but it did many things better than Bram Stoker's novel or the official Hollywood adaption.

you're talking F.W.Murnau, right? - yes, German expressionist films are great - so great Tim Burton built a career on ripping them off.

there's a remake of Nosferatu by Werner Herzog. it's pretty good.
what I like about it is that it's a historical film, the costumes and sets are there (shot in Delft, in the Netherlands) but they didn't do much in the sense of creating an eerie, surreal atmosphere. Daylight is just natural light, the caskets are just plain, freshly cut wood - no dust and cobwebs on them - just as you'd expect it in a surprise wave of mysterious deaths sweeping through the city.
It gives the film a strange realism, that contrasts well with Kinski's Vampire.

I never realized Tim Burton ripped them off? I used to love many of his movies when I was younger like Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd, but... I dunno. Hollowood (pun intended) has lost much of its appeal to me lately.

I never watched the Nosferatu: The Vampyre but I have seen the trailers for it and it looked really good. I think they have it on Tubi TV so maybe I'll check it out someday?

There's so many horror movies I never watched before that I want to finish. The Beyond (finished half of it), Suspiria, etc. I'm sure there's others too.

*ripped them off* - *was inspired by* - *makes heavy reference to* .... potato tomato.
but - the actor who plays Nosferatu had the name of Max Schreck (Schreck means 'scare' in German, but it is also a not incredibly rare surname - probably different etymology).
Anyway. Max Schreck is also the name of Christopher Walken's character in Batman Returns. - that's sort of the level of how much Burton is into German expressionist horror. And, of course, lots and lots of individual shots in his films that are straight copies from them. - he did a great job reviving the style and giving it a contemporary finish.

Good point, and Nosferatu was technically a true rip-off of the novel Dracula. But people love the movie as a cult classic to this very day. :)

My favorite Tim Burton movies are Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd. :heart:

♤ The Military

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 5:06 am

Rubber.
About a sentient tire committing murder, while the story of the movie makers melds with the onscreen horror/satire film.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 8:53 pm

Treasure Planet

Didn't think I'd like it - really did like it.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 9:28 am

Kerch wrote:
Anomalisa

A 2015 British-American 3D-printed R-rated stop-motion animated psychological romantic comedy-drama fantasy film directed by Charlie Kaufman and Duke Johnson.
It's weird and depressing, and really good.
Thank you for the suggestion!

We watched it last night and it is excellent. And a beautiful piece of engineering/technology/talent/art. We enjoyed it.

While it is impressive that it got an Oscar nomination for "Best Animated Feature Film of the Year", I think the award it won from the Alliance of Women Film Journalists might be more impressive since the category wasn't limited to animated films.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2021, 8:47 pm

The Hours

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 8:55 pm

WR Mysteries Of The Organism

Yugoslavian film from the Tito era, starring Milena Dravic. It's not that great actually, but it is sorta fascinating.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 7:08 pm

Pay Day; a silent film starring Charlie Chaplin.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 3:11 am

the little prince [richard kiley in magnificent voice, bob fosse in magnificent kinesiology]

DRR345
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2021, 1:44 pm

The Thief and the Clobber (can be seen in Persistence of Visions dvd - the greatest animated film never made) by Richard Williams

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 8:24 pm

DRR345 wrote:
The Thief and the Clobber (can be seen in Persistence of Visions dvd - the greatest animated film never made) by Richard Williams

cobbler
and: yeah... no... i mean, the animation is great 70s/80s cartooney animation, and the backgrounds are beatutiful, geometric and flat, but the film is really not that memorable...

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 8:51 pm

Fenn wrote:
Treasure Planet

Didn't think I'd like it - really did like it.

I haven't seen this one in years, but will try to watch this whenever an opportunity happens! :)