People Might Get Arrested for Giving Money to the Homeless

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 12:31 pm

btw, the url and main title only mention money,

first sentence in the article, food gets thrown in.

Quote:
A Charlotte City councilmember is standing by his comments suggesting criminal punishment for people who give money or food to homeless individuals.

Tariq Bohari told FOX 46 he has no regrets about suggesting that anyone giving donations to homeless people instead of charities and organizations are causing more harm than good and that "perhaps we explore making that a misdemeanor."

“People aren’t getting it and they’re still bringing food and clothing and resources directly to folks that are out there right now. They’re only making themselves feel good,” Bokhari said.

On Friday (June 18), Bokhari told FOX 46 that he didn't regret his comments "even one little bit" and instead continued to urge city leaders to create bold strategies to combat homelessness.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 12:37 pm

Would it be fair if those who gave money to the council members are arrested as well?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 12:54 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Would it be fair if those who gave money to the council members are arrested as well?
Only if the arrest was based on evidence and not mere distrust and suspicion.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 1:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Only if the arrest was based on evidence and not mere distrust and suspicion.

Obviously.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 6:42 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Give the homeless food, water or other necessities but not money.

:thumright:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 6:48 pm

Do you know what the homeless need more then anything? To be loved.
To have someone who will talk to them and they can call a friend.

This is what many of them miss when they become homeless. It is enough that they have lost everything, but to be ignored as well is hearbreaking.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 7:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's pretty likely that some of the change and dollars people give the homeless goes for drugs or alcohol.

I sometimes give; but sometimes, I don't.

I believe arresting people for giving to the homeless is ridiculous.

I see homeless people every day on the trains, and in the streets. You have some nice people; and then you have some really nasty people.

I would say that most single homeless people either have a mental illness, are alcoholics, or are drug addicts.

KraftieKortie - Your reply reminded me of part of an old South Park episode about the homeless situation in many places:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SPVTa50er_0

You just never know when luck may change in life, for good or bad. It can be hard to sometimes tell the ones that are truly needing help from ones seeking an easy way out in life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 8:26 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Do you know what the homeless need more then anything? To be loved. ...
WRONG!

What homeless people need more than anything are food, clean drinking water, medical care, and HOMES!  You can love them all you want, but the one sole defining characteristic of homeless people is lack of homes (even Captain Obvious seems to have missed this one).  I once presented my own experiences with homelessness to a municipal focus group on homelessness, and told them flat out that "Homeless people are homeless because they do not have homes".  After my talk, the discussion quickly turned toward things like designing tee-shirts for the committee members and what questions to ask each homeless person to further study the problem -- even after I told them what "the problem" was all about!

Sure, the reasons why people become homeless varies with each individual, but the point is that homeless people are homeless because they do not have homes.

Most people who claim to "love" the homeless would never take one in and provide them with a place to live (I have).  Love is only one motivating factor, by the way.  Just about any other feeling can motivate a person to help the homeless, but unless people act on their feelings, nothing will be done to help the homeless.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2021, 8:37 am

I'm usually not a fan of short videos but BBC made a mini-documentary on what happened when a well-off man took a homeless couple under his roof - and I find it interesting.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 8:38 am

There also happen to be many homeless FAMILIES who are homeless because of circumstances beyond their control.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 9:09 am

funeralxempire wrote:
This isn't the first time Republicans have pushed something like this. 8)

Republicans often say, "if you subsidize X, you get more X".

Be the hero of your life.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 9:52 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

They're not wrong, if you feed people who otherwise wouldn't have food you help make their survival more likely.
I just fail to see that as a problem.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 12:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

They're not wrong, if you feed people who otherwise wouldn't have food you help make their survival more likely.
I just fail to see that as a problem.

Republicans think increased survivability should be a long term strategy of self-sufficiency.

Be the hero of your life.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 12:42 pm

Yes, I'm familiar with the cult of the invisible hand and their attitude that being ideologically correct is more important than actually being correct.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 12:48 pm

Steal a fish, and you eat for a day.

Teach a man to fish, and you can steal from him and eat fish every day!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2021, 12:50 pm

Teach enough men to fish and you'll learn what "natural resources depletion" means.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>