Question if psychopathy and ASD can be co-morbid together.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 10:24 pm

Can you have psychopathy and ASD at the same time? If not, then you are wrong, it is possible to have psychopathy and ASD at the same time, but it is rare though.

I have a diagnosis of Conduct Disorder Unspecified, alongside with ASD. That is like saying “You can’t have ASD and CD at the same time”, just because symptoms of Conduct Disorders includes, great difficulty following rules, respecting the rights of others, showing empathy, and behaving in a socially acceptable way.

Statistics and most studies states that most people with ASD are ten times more likely to be victims and five times less likely to commit crimes than the general population. There are however small-subgroups of people with ASD who commit crimes, but that is considered rare and it needs to be studied more.

ASD is a broad developmental disorder, even convicted criminals can be diagnosed with ASD as well.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 10:19 am

Why doncha just go to shrink and get yourelf checked out already? you're awefully obsessed with this topic.

Sociopaths, and pyschopaths have cognitive empathy, but no sympathy. They know how other folks tick, and use that knowledge to exploit other folks- often without mercy.

Autistics have sympathy for others (concern) - aka "effective empathy". But they lack cognitive empathy. Sympathize with others, but dont know how others tick so they cant even be as manipulative as normal NTs , much less sociopaths.

So if you were both autistic and socipathic you would lack both sympathy and empathy. Would want to manipulate others in an exploitive way, but you would be totally inept at it. Too inept to be evil.

So you would be a failed sociopath, if you were that...on top of being autistic.

Or thats my understanding of it.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 12:52 pm

Thank you! It makes sense.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 4:00 am

naturalplastic wrote:
So if you were both autistic and socipathic you would lack both sympathy and empathy. Would want to manipulate others in an exploitive way, but you would be totally inept at it. Too inept to be evil.

Sounds like Chris Chandler tbh

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Jun 2021, 4:23 am

I think a person with neurology predisposing for psychopathy - shallow emotions, disconnect between emotions and morality - and ASD would be unlikely to develop a "typical" psychopathic personality.
Instead of manipulativeness, I would expect social avoidance to develop, as that person would have even less tools for social interaction than someone with ASD or psychopathy alone.
In a high-functioning version, it may result in a person hyperfocused on their job or other selected activity, keeping their other obligations to absolute minimum or below it.
In a lower-functioning version, I would expect schizoid personality disorder.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 5:10 am

It makes sense.