Navy rescinds student's ROTC scholarship because of autism

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 3:55 pm

longshot wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I actually enjoyed the structure and routine of military life.
That's very interesting sir, as you served during a time; prior, to your diagnosis.
It only goes to show that even misfits can serve in the military as long as they do not know that they are supposed to be too handicapped to do so.  I say this out of knowing someone who was told at the age of 5 that his heart was too weak to sustain athletic activity, only to find out in his junior year that there was nothing wrong with his heart at all -- he then earned his varsity letter in track during his senior year.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 9:39 pm

No matter how you slice it, the military is dead wrong on this.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 10:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
No matter how you slice it, the military is dead wrong on this.

I borrowed your metaphor

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2021, 1:44 am

Well the military shouldn't exist in the first place, so I don't see any reason to be too upset about this.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:29 am

Most likely the criteria have no been updated or reevaluated in a long time. They really need to do that considering the last year the CDC estimated the prevalence of ASD in the adult population to be 1 in 45 or 2.2%.

However, the changing the criteria should not be assumed to be a forgone conclusion. Combat is highly stressful and has many serious sensory inputs--you can't ask the enemy to turn down the explosions. Combat is also not very predicable.

However, in this case, the Navy should evaluate this candidate. To get someone that is so passionate about the service is always worth considering.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:30 am

MushroomPrincess wrote:
Well the military shouldn't exist in the first place, so I don't see any reason to be too upset about this.

I think you will find that more of an issue with the NT population. Once we have a cure for that, perhaps we will see a decrease in violence...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:41 am

MushroomPrincess wrote:
We sleep soundly in our beds, because rougher people stand ready in the night to do violence against those who would harm us.  Please do not hate the people in uniform who guard you while you sleep.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 2:54 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:

I think you will find that more of an issue with the NT population. Once we have a cure for that, perhaps we will see a decrease in violence...
Maybe there could be some kind of vaccine that caused Autism? :lol: