Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 10:25 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/philippine-president-rodrigo-duterte-threatens-to-jail-those-who-refuse-covid-19-vaccine/ar-AALigzy?ocid=uxbndlbing

Here's a way to get the anti-vaxers to be vaxed.

In all seriousness, I am no fan of Mr. Duterte.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 11:50 am

This type of authoritarianism is coming to the USA soon and it will be greeted with raucous applause.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 12:49 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
This type of authoritarianism is coming to the USA soon and it will be greeted with raucous applause.

Governments will not take the blame for anything going wrong, by accident or design. We've seen how the propaganda works and how effective it is. Unvaxxed will be blamed for everything, no matter what the actual evidence says. The general public have now outsourced their thinking to the people in power.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 12:50 pm

Remember, this is the guy who encouraged vigilantes to murder suspected drug users so it's not surprising his policies are totalitarian.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 12:52 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Too late.  It has happened already.

Evidence?  Read these signs of an authoritarian government, and the single most significant example thereof in recent U.S. history:

[X] Borders are sealed, and people are not permitted in or out.  Even before COVID-19 struck, Trump enacted bans on people coming and going, including scientists considered vital to American research.

[X] Children are separated from parents and imprisoned without adequate medical attention or basic compassion.  Under Trump's orders, this is exactly what happened.  Thousands may never see their parents again, and hundreds still languish in COVID-19-infested camps.

[X] Data about a pandemic are hidden from the public so that the authoritarian leader can control who sees such information as the number of available hospital beds.  Trump ordered that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention no longer gets the data, hence the public can't see it.

[X] Enemies are punished, and friends are rewarded.  Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen went to jail not just for doing Trump's bidding but for telling Congress and law enforcement about it.  Roger Stone was convicted of felony offenses by a jury and is free because he lied to Congress and the FBI to benefit Trump.

[X] Millions of people are declared non-persons.  Trump ordered that more than 11 million undocumented people not be counted when congressional district lines are redrawn even if they have been in the U.S. for decades.  This hurts cities or states with large immigrant populations because they won't be federally compensated fairly, and such districts will get less voting representation.

[X] People are denied the right to vote until they pay all costs any courts say they owe, whether they can dispute them or not.  It happened in Florida under Trump’s regime.

[X] Racism and sexism are openly encouraged and fostered by the authoritarian leader.  Trump stressed division and racial anger as he campaigned in vain for reelection.

[X] Science is routinely denied.  A thousand people died every day during Trump's regime because the lessons of science and history were ignored, and months passed with no national planned response to the coronavirus even as Trump demanded schools be opened in the fall of 2020 or lose federal funding.

[X] Soldiers in unmarked uniforms and no identifying insignia swoop in as the authoritarian leader's personal militia to arrest peacefully protesting pedestrians in the middle of the night, throw them into unmarked vans and streak away.  It happened in Portland, Oregon, under Trump's authority, and Trump promised it would happen in other cities.  Trump is of German descent but apparently never heard about the feared secret police and the Gestapo.

[X] The authoritarian leader courts dictators known for violating human rights.  Trump openly admires Russia's Vladimir Putin, North Korea's Kim Jong Un, Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro, Turkey's Recep Tayyip Erdogan and others.

[X] The authoritarian leader is recognized around the world as someone who does not keep his word, acts capriciously, and does not tell the truth.  Leaders of other democracies will no longer deal with Trump.  Multiple organizations have clocked Trump at telling more than 20,000 lies or misstatements in 3-1/2 years.

[X] The authoritarian leader refuses to commit to abiding by how the voting goes in an honest and legal election.  Donald Trump in a Fox News interview would not say he will be bound by voters' wishes.

[X] The authoritarian leader seeks to divert spending on public health in favor of public monuments.  Trump fought the most conservative Republicans as he tried to cut funding for fighting COVID-19 to pay for his wall between the U.S.A. and Mexico.

[X] The power of the authoritarian leadership is used for personal gain.  Foreign diplomats curried favor by enriching Trump's hotels and golf courses.  Large campaign donations were given and rewarded by White House endorsement of commercial products.  Trump tried to get the British Open held at his golf resort in Scotland and then fired the nonpartisan inspector general who wrote a report about it and had the report marked "Classified".

[X] The public display of evil symbols is enthusiastically endorsed.  Trump said Confederate battle flags, which were carried by traitors to the U.S., should fly when supported by white supremacists because it's free speech, although he says protesters do not have the same right to protest racism.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jun 2021, 1:01 pm

^I'm afraid your facts speak for themselves. He made friends with as many of the world's dictators as he could, as he likes the example they're setting. That brand of disrespect for democracy is more common in small central African or South American countries where free elections are a bit of a novelty.

What a difference it can make when a leader can engage with the people in the way Jacinda Ardern's been doing in NZ. Some warmth can go a long way in breaking ice!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 2:42 pm

lostproperty wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Governments will not take the blame for anything going wrong, by accident or design. We've seen how the propaganda works and how effective it is. Unvaxxed will be blamed for everything, no matter what the actual evidence says. The general public have now outsourced their thinking to the people in power.

Exactly

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 2:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Too late.  It has happened already.

Evidence?  Read these signs of an authoritarian government, and the single most significant example thereof in recent U.S. history:

[X] Borders are sealed, and people are not permitted in or out.  Even before COVID-19 struck, Trump enacted bans on people coming and going, including scientists considered vital to American research.

[X] Children are separated from parents and imprisoned without adequate medical attention or basic compassion.  Under Trump's orders, this is exactly what happened.  Thousands may never see their parents again, and hundreds still languish in COVID-19-infested camps.

[X] Data about a pandemic are hidden from the public so that the authoritarian leader can control who sees such information as the number of available hospital beds.  Trump ordered that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention no longer gets the data, hence the public can't see it.

[X] Enemies are punished, and friends are rewarded.  Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen went to jail not just for doing Trump's bidding but for telling Congress and law enforcement about it.  Roger Stone was convicted of felony offenses by a jury and is free because he lied to Congress and the FBI to benefit Trump.

[X] Millions of people are declared non-persons.  Trump ordered that more than 11 million undocumented people not be counted when congressional district lines are redrawn even if they have been in the U.S. for decades.  This hurts cities or states with large immigrant populations because they won't be federally compensated fairly, and such districts will get less voting representation.

[X] People are denied the right to vote until they pay all costs any courts say they owe, whether they can dispute them or not.  It happened in Florida under Trump’s regime.

[X] Racism and sexism are openly encouraged and fostered by the authoritarian leader.  Trump stressed division and racial anger as he campaigned in vain for reelection.

[X] Science is routinely denied.  A thousand people died every day during Trump's regime because the lessons of science and history were ignored, and months passed with no national planned response to the coronavirus even as Trump demanded schools be opened in the fall of 2020 or lose federal funding.

[X] Soldiers in unmarked uniforms and no identifying insignia swoop in as the authoritarian leader's personal militia to arrest peacefully protesting pedestrians in the middle of the night, throw them into unmarked vans and streak away.  It happened in Portland, Oregon, under Trump's authority, and Trump promised it would happen in other cities.  Trump is of German descent but apparently never heard about the feared secret police and the Gestapo.

[X] The authoritarian leader courts dictators known for violating human rights.  Trump openly admires Russia's Vladimir Putin, North Korea's Kim Jong Un, Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro, Turkey's Recep Tayyip Erdogan and others.

[X] The authoritarian leader is recognized around the world as someone who does not keep his word, acts capriciously, and does not tell the truth.  Leaders of other democracies will no longer deal with Trump.  Multiple organizations have clocked Trump at telling more than 20,000 lies or misstatements in 3-1/2 years.

[X] The authoritarian leader refuses to commit to abiding by how the voting goes in an honest and legal election.  Donald Trump in a Fox News interview would not say he will be bound by voters' wishes.

[X] The authoritarian leader seeks to divert spending on public health in favor of public monuments.  Trump fought the most conservative Republicans as he tried to cut funding for fighting COVID-19 to pay for his wall between the U.S.A. and Mexico.

[X] The power of the authoritarian leadership is used for personal gain.  Foreign diplomats curried favor by enriching Trump's hotels and golf courses.  Large campaign donations were given and rewarded by White House endorsement of commercial products.  Trump tried to get the British Open held at his golf resort in Scotland and then fired the nonpartisan inspector general who wrote a report about it and had the report marked "Classified".

[X] The public display of evil symbols is enthusiastically endorsed.  Trump said Confederate battle flags, which were carried by traitors to the U.S., should fly when supported by white supremacists because it's free speech, although he says protesters do not have the same right to protest racism.

So Trump is the source of all evil?
This talking points list is laughable.
Apparently he is today's Emanuel Goldstein so yeah, enjoy this morning's Three Minute Hate.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 3:27 pm

Commenting on the President's statement, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said arresting people who refuse getting the vaccine has no legal leg to stand on:

"There is no law as yet that compels vaccination against Covid-19 much less criminalizes it," he said.  "The President merely used strong words to drive home the need for us to get vaccinated and reach herd immunity as soon as possible."

Source:
 This Manila Times Article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 6:31 pm

Maybe they should try such a law here. I bet you a million dollars people will get vaxed when the alternative is what goes on in those prison showers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 6:33 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Maybe they should try such a law here. I bet you a million dollars people will get vaxed when the alternative is what goes on in those prison showers.
Naa ... the only thing that will get those anti-vaxxers demanding their vaccines is when a coronavirus variant starts wiping out only the entire anti-vaxxer population.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 12:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Naa ... the only thing that will get those anti-vaxxers demanding their vaccines is when a coronavirus variant starts wiping out only the entire anti-vaxxer population.

I still think the threat of prison shower sodomy will motivate them the quickest. To the right, sodomy is worse than murder.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 1:26 pm

If that were true...
Then why isn't my mom in jail yet? :lol:

Or half of my neighbors?
Or at least a good quarter of my acquaintances? Some of them are frontliners.

I'm aware of intimidation and threat.
But I'm not anywhere near the NCR where those worries are more valid or real in anyone's head. :twisted:

Or maybe it's just desensitization talking. :P
Or maybe I just truly don't care, like religion.

The only reason why I'd ever listen to news is wet season.

Lose more time here.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 3:31 pm

Tim_Tex seems easily manipulated, enjoys the idea of punishing those who don't toe the party line.

Fnord still has a bizarre fascination with Trump, who isn't even in power anymore.

I agree with MountainGoat. If you've taken the vax and you feel safe, why are you so concerned that others haven't taken it? Why do you feel the need to force them to living according to your own desires? Scary.

HMM: did MountainGoat delete his post, or did I just dream it. Someone said something about having such terrible reactions to vaccinations that it feels like they're dying but can't speak up. Regardless, the rest of what was said was applicable, like why do you care if someone isn't vaccinated as long as you yourself are?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 3:38 pm

Sorry. I am just getting frustrated.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 7:19 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
If you've taken the vax and you feel safe, why are you so concerned that others haven't taken it?

I am vaxxed and I am unsure if I should feel safe. While the delta variant breakthrough cases are mild "just another flu" it is too early to tell if "long COVID" will be an issue with breakthrough cases. Of all the bad things about COVID long COVID freaks me out because I am dealing with significant permanent disabilities from a stroke and tongue cancer and I don't want to add more disabilities.

I have a niece starting her master's and a nephew starting sixth grade. I don't want mask-wearing, going remote every time there is an outbreak to be a permanent part of the remainder of their lives. I want them to get the socializing as NT's they require.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman