Australian School asked boys to use rating system on girls.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 9:17 pm

Well, it worked for Mark Zuckerberg...

Quote:
FaceMash, Facebook's predecessor, opened in 2003, developed by Mark Zuckerberg; he wrote the software for the Facemash website when he was in his second year of college. The website was set up as a type of "hot or not" game for Harvard students. The website allowed visitors to compare two female students' pictures side by side and let them decide who was more attractive

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Facebook

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 9:57 pm

According to the article

"The female students were furious when they heard about the exercise given to the boys. “All the girls were disgusted and really offended,” said one student. Some boys laughingly described their task as “build a b***h”.

The article also showed how this"conservative christian education" produces such wonderful private school boys
https://www.smh.com.au/national/the-chu ... 5809z.html

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 7:10 pm

I am willing to bet that most the most important “quality” to most of the boys was left out of that questionnaire. :lol:

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 7:16 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am willing to bet that most the most important “quality” to most of the boys was left out of that questionnaire. :lol:

You bet!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 7:23 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

The reversed letter grade where an F is exceptional? :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 7:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

You bet!

You and me agree about something.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 9:01 pm

MaxE wrote:

I find this as offensive as when teachers indoctrinate their students into embracing political ideologies.
Brainwashing <sic> should be performed by their parents, and not by those in a position of power and influence over impressionable children. 8)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 12:15 am

I like playing devil's advocate and turning examples around.

What if they took all dating / sexual references out of the questionnaire (virgin, good kisser), and gave the questions to everyone in the school?

They could change the title to "which of these characteristics do you value most in others?"

The bits about Christianity or church could also be reworded to say something about shared philosophy or belief systems.

I think it's an interesting way to stop and identify my own value system.

I might even try it.

Edit: I don't understand how it works? The points are already assigned and you have to allocate 25 points, but the numbers only add up to 21. I don't get it. What are you supposed to do?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 1:20 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

You bet!

You and me agree about something.

Looks like you, me and Pepe agree on the same thing (this must be a first!)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Jun 2021, 4:32 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I like playing devil's advocate and turning examples around.

What if they took all dating / sexual references out of the questionnaire (virgin, good kisser), and gave the questions to everyone in the school?

They could change the title to "which of these characteristics do you value most in others?"

The bits about Christianity or church could also be reworded to say something about shared philosophy or belief systems.

I think it's an interesting way to stop and identify my own value system.

I might even try it.

Edit: I don't understand how it works? The points are already assigned and you have to allocate 25 points, but the numbers only add up to 21. I don't get it. What are you supposed to do?

If I was asked to rate my collegues, I would still be disgusted.
I can list desirable traits in a potential friend, coworker or love interest but I find rating real people who didn't ask for it a sick idea.

In my high school Catholic group, I did participate in an exercise where girls and boys separately listed what they desired in their potential love partners - and then confronted each others' lists and discussed about it.
It was gender-symmetric, encouraging communication and without this silly point system, people could write down whatever they came up with.

An interesting thing from this exercise - in this group, religious boys cared less for their partners' virginity than religious girls did. Boys didn't even think of it during brainstorming :lol: Girls were divided between wanting a virgin and not caring.
Boys were generally more focused on attraction, girls on reliability.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 6:22 pm

magz wrote:
An interesting thing from this exercise - in this group, religious boys cared less for their partners' virginity than religious girls did. Boys didn't even think of it during brainstorming :lol: Girls were divided between wanting a virgin and not caring.
Boys were generally more focused on attraction, girls on reliability.

Ya think?! :lmao:
The power of testosterone. :thumright:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 6:26 pm

magz wrote:
If I was asked to rate my collegues, I would still be disgusted.
I can list desirable traits in a potential friend, coworker or love interest but I find rating real people who didn't ask for it a sick idea.

In my high school Catholic group, I did participate in an exercise where girls and boys separately listed what they desired in their potential love partners - and then confronted each others' lists and discussed about it.
It was gender-symmetric, encouraging communication and without this silly point system, people could write down whatever they came up with.

I agree it's disgusting when applied to real people. I was thinking if it could be salvaged at all it could be reworded and used for "desirable traits" in general, and then used to foster communication like you described.

I still don't understand how it works though. What are the 25 points for? Maybe I'm oblivious but I don't get what they were supposed to do with the numbers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 8:14 pm

In the real world people rate other people all the time.

It's called taking a measure of a person.

We gauge our fellow humans whether it be
1. Assessing the danger they pose
2. Assessing whether you can approach somebody
3. Assessing whether they are worthy to respond to

For points 2-3 we unconsciously and intentionally measure a person in terms of looks/appearance/background.

Our brains are wired to classify people into pigeonholes.

We even do this with family and friends, unconsciously rate a person you know into
a) I like hanging out with them
b) I'll talk to them if they contact me
c) I prefer to avoid