Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 5:43 pm

Carl Nassib of Las Vegas Raiders is first active NFL player to announce he is gay

Quote:
Carl Nassib, a defensive lineman with the Las Vegas Raiders, became the first active NFL player in league history to announce that he is gay.

"What's up, people," Nassib said Monday in a video on Instagram. "I'm Carl Nassib. I'm at my house here in West Chester, Pennsylvania. I just wanted to take a quick moment to say that I'm gay. I've been meaning to do this for a while now, but I finally feel comfortable enough to get it off my chest."

Nassib, 28, has played five years with three teams and is entering his second season with the Raiders. He said in a statement accompanying the video that he had agonized over the decision to announce he was gay for 15 years.

Nassib added that he was a private person and wasn't seeking publicity

I just think that representation and visibility are so important," he said. "I actually hope that one day videos like this and the whole coming out process are just not necessary. But until then, I'm going to do my best and do my part to cultivate a culture that's accepting, that's compassionate."

"The NFL family is proud of Carl for courageously sharing his truth today," Goodell said. "Representation matters. We share his hope that someday soon statements like his will no longer be newsworthy as we march toward full equality for the LGBTQ+ community. We wish Carl the best of luck this coming season."

Nassib said he was donating $100,000 to The Trevor Project, a suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ youth. He wrote in his statement that it saddened him that LGBTQ youth are at an elevated risk for suicide.
Amit Paley, CEO and executive director of The Trevor Project, said the donation will help scale up crisis services.

Jason Collins, who became the first openly gay NBA player when he suited up for the Brooklyn Nets in 2014, was cheering Nassib on social media.

Penn State head football coach James Franklin said his former player had a huge heart.

Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Moon added to the chorus of people proud of him, and the former NFL and CFL quarterback added that he played with some guys who were gay but didn't feel comfortable coming out.
"As long as they helped us win and were great teammates- their sexual preference was never a issue," he wrote on Twitter.

Other NFL players have come out after they retired, including former Dallas Cowboys linebacker Jeff Rohrer, who married Joshua Ross in 2018.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 8:37 pm

It's been tough for Australian footballers as well to disclose their sexuality and this applies across multiple sporting codes.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 5:59 pm

Very brave of this man given that the month of June is LGBTQ+ Pride Month!

:D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 6:10 pm

It's a shame that anyone needs to discuss their sexuality in the media, in order to educate bigoted pinheads.

But ... I commend him for taking that step and being proud!! :heart: :heart:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 6:54 pm

Yeah I mean, if he can play NFL and is good, then who cares what he does in the bedroom right?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 8:07 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Yeah I mean, if he can play NFL and is good, then who cares what he does in the bedroom right?

Who cares what anybody does in the bedroom, assuming it's consensual?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 1:56 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Who cares what anybody does in the bedroom, assuming it's consensual?

Anyone except our children right :wink: