Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 10:00 pm

My family honestly has quite a few white supremacists, they immigrated quite recently from Eastern Kentucky... But they claim however they're part Cherokee, my grandma and even my great grandma were really dark-skinned...

According to DNA tests taken by relatives, my family is primarily "scot-irish" a white protestant group from the British Isles. But... Most people in that area that were dark actually claimed they were part Native American because in reality they were Melungeons, a complex mixed-race group that tried to hide the fact they had significant African-American in them! Some of them also have Native American and Middle Eastern and Mediterranean characteristics. I look very pale myself, but I have traits that indicate I have mixed ansectory, for example I have extremely dark, pretty much black very curly hair and I even have what's called shovel-shaped incisors, not present in pure Caucasians...

Anyway... I mean looking at how dark many of my family members are, etc.. I mean how can they justify being so racist? I don't understand, but reading about these things was very interesting!! !

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 11:27 pm

During the civil rights era, there were some places in the south that had tried to deny voting rights to Melungeon's and suspected Melungeon's.
As my dad's people had come from the upper Rhine region of Germany - the Palatines Benjamin Franklin had denigrated for not being white enough - he and much of the family on his side had a very deep ruddy complexion, and blackish brown hair. I myself have a very ruddy complexion, but nothing like my dad and older family members.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 12:19 am

Many “whites” in the South have some Native American ancestry (mostly Cherokee and Creek).

I am about 1/8 Cherokee.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 12:23 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Many “whites” in the South have some Native American ancestry (mostly Cherokee and Creek).

I am about 1/8 Cherokee.

Some white southerners, whose ancestors had been brought over as indentured servants, had intermixed with black slaves, and have black ancestry.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2021, 3:04 am

Geez, everyone is mixed!

I'm indigenous European and there are clear Middle Eastern (specific "sad" eye shape) and East Asian (high cheek bones) traits in my family running from times unremembered - and when my aunt made a DNA test, it turned out she has significant African admixture, too, despite no visible traits and no genealogical record confirming it.
Yeah, in Eastern Europe, in times pre-mass migration, likely medieval.

If people in Europe are that mixed, why would migration to America make them "pure"? This race thing makes no sense other than prejudice.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 3:13 am

We are basically just mongrels.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2021, 3:17 am

kokopelli wrote:
Healthier than being inbred.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 3:29 am

magz wrote:
Geez, everyone is mixed!

I'm indigenous European and there are clear Middle Eastern (specific "sad" eye shape) and East Asian (high cheek bones) traits in my family running from times unremembered - and when my aunt made a DNA test, it turned out she has significant African admixture, too, despite no visible traits and no genealogical record confirming it.

If people in Europe are that mixed, why would migration to America make them "pure"? This race thing makes no sense other than prejudice.

COUSIN!! !

Master Oogway

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2021, 3:30 am

salad wrote:
magz wrote:
Geez, everyone is mixed!

COUSIN!! !
I'm part-Russian, too :D

salad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 3:33 am

magz wrote:
salad wrote:
magz wrote:
Geez, everyone is mixed!

COUSIN!! !
I'm part-Russian, too :D

I deny my Russian ancestry since I hate the man whose Y-chromosome I share. When people ask me about my light skin and European features I just say I'm Circassian :skull:

Regardless, that Middle Eastern DNA means we're cousins regardless. I love having a big family!! !

Master Oogway

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 3:41 am

magz wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
Healthier than being inbred.

That makes sense. In the case of dogs, it always seems like it's the pure-bred dogs that have the most health issues.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 5:01 am

Angnix wrote:
Anyway... I mean looking at how dark many of my family members are, etc.. I mean how can they justify being so racist? I don't understand, but reading about these things was very interesting!! !

Don't be too hard on them. Their ancestors likely had to constantly hide their identity in order to pass for white. It wouldn't have been pleasant.

it's not like regular white people have more right to be ignorant.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 5:18 am

Angnix wrote:
My family honestly has quite a few white supremacists, they immigrated quite recently from Eastern Kentucky... But they claim however they're part Cherokee, my grandma and even my great grandma were really dark-skinned...

According to DNA tests taken by relatives, my family is primarily "scot-irish" a white protestant group from the British Isles. But... Most people in that area that were dark actually claimed they were part Native American because in reality they were Melungeons, a complex mixed-race group that tried to hide the fact they had significant African-American in them! Some of them also have Native American and Middle Eastern and Mediterranean characteristics. I look very pale myself, but I have traits that indicate I have mixed ansectory, for example I have extremely dark, pretty much black very curly hair and I even have what's called shovel-shaped incisors, not present in pure Caucasians...

Fascinating.

The Appalachian mountains are notorious for two opposite things. Inbreeding, AND for out breeding. Lol!

There really are inbred types whose family tree "doesnt branch" (as Jeff Foxworthy put it). Folks in isolated valleys would marry cousins, and the result would be ...something like the British Royal Family...a bunch of messed up inbred peckerwoods! Lol!

But you also have pockets of folks who are descended from racial mixing in the distant past- of the kind that would be frowned upon, and even outright outlawed in later times in the south- Whites with Amerindian, Whites with Blacks, or all three. And the mysterious Malungians are long standing mystery group who seem to have all three races PLUS some admixture of Middle Eastern.

Your shovel shaped incisors are an East Asian trait (common to Chinese, Koreans, Japanese) that it also common in Native Americans.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 8:06 am

In reality we are all related. Hating others for their color is ridiculous.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 8:38 am

Dig deep enough into anyone's ancestry, and you may find that they are not "purely" whatever they claim to be.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 9:06 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
In reality we are all related. Hating others for their color is ridiculous.

Being fearful of *different people* seems normal.

Perhaps a human survival instinct.

Be the hero of your life.