Pacific NW To Be Hotter Than Miami This Weekend

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 6:33 pm

Temperature in Lytton, B.C., breaks all-time Canadian high set in 1937

Quote:
The temperature in a village in British Columbia's southern Interior reached a scorching 46.1 C this afternoon, marking a new all-time high recorded in Canada.

The reading from Environment Canada in Lytton showed the mercury surpassed the previous record of 45 C set in Saskatchewan in 1937.

A heat warning is in effect for most of Western Canada and the weather agency says numerous daily temperature records have been shattered across B.C.

Some daily highs are forecast to top 40 C, with little reprieve overnight.

Environment Canada expects temperatures to begin cooling on Tuesday.

Sarah Henderson, the scientific director or environmental health at the B.C. Centre for Disease Control is encouraging people to watch for symptoms of overheating.

"If you're out and you're active and you're feeing OK, you're probably OK, but if you're out and you're active and you're beginning to feel too hot and a little woozy, then it's really time to stop and cool down," she said in a phone interview on Sunday.

"If you're finding that you're having symptoms like it's difficult to catch your breath, you're feeling a bit dizzy, you're feeling a bit confused, like you might faint, then you're getting into dangerous territory and you have to cool down

46.1C is equivalent to 115F

Vancouver Breaks all time heat record
Quote:
Vancouver set its all-time heat record on Sunday.

The National Weather Service recorded 112 degrees just after 4 p.m. at Pearson Field. That broke the record of 108 degrees that was set on July 29, 2009 and matched on Saturday.

The daily record high of 97 was matched shortly before noon. An east wind then arrived, sending the the mercury spiking.

An excessive heat warning is in effect until 11 p.m. Monday. The NWS predicts another scorcher on Monday with a high of 115 degrees. Tuesday should be 94, then a westerly wind will drop highs to near 90 for the rest of the week.

Portland International Airport also reported 112 degrees, the all-time hottest temperature for the city, where records date to 1874.

Tyler Kranz, a meteorologist with the NWS Portland office, said even experienced professionals were skeptical when forecast models predicted such extreme temperatures early last week.

"At the time, it was hard to go with a forecast of 115 degrees in an area of the country where those temperatures just weren't a thing," Kranz said. "As we got closer to the event, we began upping the forecast each day. We now know how hot it can truly get here."

The overnight low temperatures are also setting records. Vancouver is predicted at have an overnight low of 80 degrees. That would break the all-time overnight low of 75.

"There's very little to no relief overnight," Kranz said. "Especially in this area, the Pacific Northwest, we're used at having some periods of cool weather at night."

Kranz said the scorching daytime highs as the hot overnight lows present the most risk to the elderly, infants and the homeless. The heat wave will also further dry vegetation in an area that is currently in "severe" drought conditions, according to the NWS.

It will certainly dry out vegetation much quicker than in a normal weather patterns," Kranz said.

The historic high temperatures stem from a "heat dome" phenomenon that has shrouded the Northwest with scalding air. Seattle is forecast to reach 104 degrees Sunday, breaking its all-time record by one degree. Spokane is forecast to have highs between 100 and 114 degrees all this week.

The searing temperatures and dry conditions have led to a complete ban on recreational burning inside Vancouver city limits.

A countywide burn ban also remains in effect until Oct. 1.

Cooling shelters opened Friday, along with splash pads in Vancouver and Battle Ground. A list of cooling shelter hours can be found on Clark County Public Health's website, clark.wa.gov/public-health.

Portland 111F at 4PM PDT

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 12:39 am

At a friend's place 20 mins across town her weather app screenshot showed 43.8C (110.84F) with a heat index (feels like due to humidity) of 52C (125.6F) and it's supposed to get even hotter tmw. This is ~10-20 miles North of the Washington State border in Canada, btw. (10 where I am, 20 where those temps were recorded.)

I was out riding motorcycles from 8-10:15, Sunset at 9:20, and at 10:15 it was Just starting to cool down to comfortable riding temperature. If I had a licence to stay out passed dark I'd have just stayed out and enjoyed it for another hour or two. Once I have a full licence I know I'll be doing some night riding! (besides what I've done when I maybe wasn't supposed to..)

My friend's son threw a water balloon at their car (Ford Escape) and it spider-web cracked the drivers side headlight lens.

Yesterday the road was melting and I had black gooey tar on the bottoms of my shoes.

Several pets died from the heat yesterday. One of my friend's employees is working from home for a few days mainly to keep his pet bunnies alive.

Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter, and the hottest day of this heatwave. I have to get up stupid early in the morning and leave the house by a little after 4am to unlock a property and let some guys get to work at 5am so they can beat the heat and quit as soon as it gets unbearable.

Yeah.. it's hot.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 12:43 am

Turns out it's not our AC, apparently our AC units here suck because they can't keep our homes cool in this high temperature.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 12:44 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Temperature in Lytton, B.C., breaks all-time Canadian high set in 1937
Quote:
The temperature in a village in British Columbia's southern Interior reached a scorching 46.1 C this afternoon, marking a new all-time high recorded in Canada.

The reading from Environment Canada in Lytton showed the mercury surpassed the previous record of 45 C set in Saskatchewan in 1937.

A heat warning is in effect for most of Western Canada and the weather agency says numerous daily temperature records have been shattered across B.C.

Some daily highs are forecast to top 40 C, with little reprieve overnight.

Environment Canada expects temperatures to begin cooling on Tuesday.

Sarah Henderson, the scientific director or environmental health at the B.C. Centre for Disease Control is encouraging people to watch for symptoms of overheating.

"If you're out and you're active and you're feeing OK, you're probably OK, but if you're out and you're active and you're beginning to feel too hot and a little woozy, then it's really time to stop and cool down," she said in a phone interview on Sunday.

"If you're finding that you're having symptoms like it's difficult to catch your breath, you're feeling a bit dizzy, you're feeling a bit confused, like you might faint, then you're getting into dangerous territory and you have to cool down

46.1C is equivalent to 115F

Vancouver Breaks all time heat record
Quote:
Vancouver set its all-time heat record on Sunday.

The National Weather Service recorded 112 degrees just after 4 p.m. at Pearson Field. That broke the record of 108 degrees that was set on July 29, 2009 and matched on Saturday.

The daily record high of 97 was matched shortly before noon. An east wind then arrived, sending the the mercury spiking.

An excessive heat warning is in effect until 11 p.m. Monday. The NWS predicts another scorcher on Monday with a high of 115 degrees. Tuesday should be 94, then a westerly wind will drop highs to near 90 for the rest of the week.

Portland International Airport also reported 112 degrees, the all-time hottest temperature for the city, where records date to 1874.

Tyler Kranz, a meteorologist with the NWS Portland office, said even experienced professionals were skeptical when forecast models predicted such extreme temperatures early last week.

"At the time, it was hard to go with a forecast of 115 degrees in an area of the country where those temperatures just weren't a thing," Kranz said. "As we got closer to the event, we began upping the forecast each day. We now know how hot it can truly get here."

The overnight low temperatures are also setting records. Vancouver is predicted at have an overnight low of 80 degrees. That would break the all-time overnight low of 75.

"There's very little to no relief overnight," Kranz said. "Especially in this area, the Pacific Northwest, we're used at having some periods of cool weather at night."

Kranz said the scorching daytime highs as the hot overnight lows present the most risk to the elderly, infants and the homeless. The heat wave will also further dry vegetation in an area that is currently in "severe" drought conditions, according to the NWS.

It will certainly dry out vegetation much quicker than in a normal weather patterns," Kranz said.

The historic high temperatures stem from a "heat dome" phenomenon that has shrouded the Northwest with scalding air. Seattle is forecast to reach 104 degrees Sunday, breaking its all-time record by one degree. Spokane is forecast to have highs between 100 and 114 degrees all this week.

The searing temperatures and dry conditions have led to a complete ban on recreational burning inside Vancouver city limits.

A countywide burn ban also remains in effect until Oct. 1.

Cooling shelters opened Friday, along with splash pads in Vancouver and Battle Ground. A list of cooling shelter hours can be found on Clark County Public Health's website, clark.wa.gov/public-health.

Portland 111F at 4PM PDT

My dad graduated from high school in Lytton. 8) Can't recall if I've ever stopped there or just been close enough to see short distances to it on highway signs. It's not that super rare for it to hit 40C in that area, but not much higher.

Vancouver, BC is likely to break records tmw, too. Everything is cookin'.