Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:14 am

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... a-lab-test

Subway’s Tuna was lab tested and they found 0 traces of Tuna DNA. Either the meat is so heavily processed it is untraceable, or there is no tuna at all...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:29 am

Brainiac42 wrote:
Either the meat is so heavily processed it is untraceable, or there is no tuna at all...
Which is more likely? 

(a) The same pasteurization process that is used to kill all bacteria in the meat also destroys all DNA within the meat.

(b) Subway tuna is a delicious combination of Pink Slime and Soylent Green.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:32 am

Sometimes I wonder if the tuna I'm getting from a can is even tuna. I'm not surprised that Subway tuna isn't what they say it is.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:36 am

It's cooked so the DNA denatures and can't be identified.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:41 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if the tuna I'm getting from a can is even tuna. I'm not surprised that Subway tuna isn't what they say it is.
Correction: "... may not be what they say it is".

The lack of tuna DNA proves only the lack of tuna DNA.  None of the articles on this subject say that the researchers have found any DNA.  This indicates that all DNA has been destroyed during processing

I strongly suspect that someone may be hyping a smear campaign against Subway.  Do we know of anyone who may hold a grudge against Subway or any of the people who own it?  Perhaps someone who lost their job at Subway due to their own criminal behavior?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:45 am

funeralxempire wrote:

They actually did not state what test they used to determine Tuna in the meat.

“The DNA detection system called polymerase chain reaction (PCR) is very accurate, says Dr Chris Smart from Leatherhead Food Research.
"It is a little bit more difficult with cooked products as you do get a certain amount of denaturing, but actually PCR is pretty sensitive and it would be able to detect DNA present in cooked product.”

I only know as much as the article provides, and I’m sure we’ll know more later. It would be beneficial for them to test other tuna products using the same process, and for us to see where the tuna is coming from.

I do want to add that their tuna has never been my favorite but that proves absolutely nothing.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:51 am

Fnord wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Correction: "... may not be what they say it is".

The lack of tuna DNA proves only the lack of tuna DNA.  None of the articles on this subject say that the researchers have found any DNA.  This indicates that all DNA has been destroyed during processing

I strongly suspect that someone may be hyping a smear campaign against Subway.  Do we know of anyone who may hold a grudge against Subway or any of the people who own it?  Perhaps someone who lost their job at Subway due to their own criminal behavior?

This could be true. Perhaps his family, since Jared is in prison.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:51 am

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.  The DNA researchers should go to the facilities that process tuna for Subway and witness in person what is really going on before drawing erroneous conclusions.

Personally, Subway is one of my Restaurants of Last Resort.  I could not care less if the nearest Subway restaurants were closed down forever.  It is only the science that I find a little one-sided.  Where is the peer-group review?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:56 am

Brainiac42 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

“The DNA detection system called polymerase chain reaction (PCR) is very accurate, says Dr Chris Smart from Leatherhead Food Research.
"It is a little bit more difficult with cooked products as you do get a certain amount of denaturing, but actually PCR is pretty sensitive and it would be able to detect DNA present in cooked product.”

I only know as much as the article provides, and I’m sure we’ll know more later. It would be beneficial for them to test other tuna products using the same process, and for us to see where the tuna is coming from.

I do want to add that their tuna has never been my favorite but that proves absolutely nothing.

Here's the story your story is reporting on (the original, or a reposting from Yahoo)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/19/styl ... wsuit.html
https://www.yahoo.com/news/big-tuna-san ... 00822.html

It has previously been found to be tuna:

Quote:
To be fair, when Inside Edition sent samples from three Subway locations in Queens out for testing this year, the lab found that the specimens were, indeed, tuna

And denaturing is mentioned as having the potential to interfere:

Quote:
With all testing, there are major caveats to consider. Once tuna has been cooked, its protein becomes denatured, meaning that the fish’s characteristic properties have likely been destroyed, making it difficult, if not impossible, to identify.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 10:20 am

I won’t eat at Subway.
When I was in Greeley,Colorado I needed to use the restroom badly, the staff told me they didn’t have a public one.
They lied.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 10:28 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Brainiac42 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Here's the story your story is reporting on (the original, or a reposting from Yahoo)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/19/styl ... wsuit.html
https://www.yahoo.com/news/big-tuna-san ... 00822.html

It has previously been found to be tuna:

Quote:
To be fair, when Inside Edition sent samples from three Subway locations in Queens out for testing this year, the lab found that the specimens were, indeed, tuna

And denaturing is mentioned as having the potential to interfere:

Quote:
With all testing, there are major caveats to consider. Once tuna has been cooked, its protein becomes denatured, meaning that the fish’s characteristic properties have likely been destroyed, making it difficult, if not impossible, to identify.

I wonder why, knowing this, that they would still hand over this (mis)information to the press?

To be clear here I do not know whether this is true or not, and I do not know anything besides what is in the article. Just throwing some ideas around, and interested in what others think.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 11:41 am

Brainiac42 wrote:
... interested in what others think.
I think someone has a grudge against Subway; but that is only my opinion.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 12:52 pm

The words of the Prophets are written on the Subway walls. :D

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 1:36 pm

Even in the worst case scenario it's not likely to be Subway's fault. They buy cans of what is sold as tuna, if someone's substituting something that it's tuna it's at the cannery. I don't eat at Subway but this wouldn't impact my choice.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 2:00 pm

I've had the Subway tuna sandwich. It tasted like tuna, I think. (Or maybe it was the placebo effect, I don't know.)

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm

The bread used to be made of yoga mat ingredients.I don’t trust them.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... our-bread/