Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:02 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I have OCD so I have intrusive thoughts/obsessions about my pets and family members getting hurt, inappropriate sexual things, etc. I have almost no control over them and they bring me a great deal of anxiety.

don't react to them....

they will eventually stop

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 8:11 am

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
don't react to them....

So much easier said than done.

Does telling an anxious person to "stop being anxious" ever really help? I wouldn't think so. Telling a person with OCD to not react to intrusive thoughts is much the same. In fact, telling them this could end up backfiring. I know (from my own experience) that the suppression of these reactions can ultimately lead to an even stronger reaction in the future.

It is counterintuitive, but the following has been the most helpful for me:
embracing/sitting with the thoughts and recognizing that thoughts =/= me

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:02 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I have intrusive thoughts. They are of the disturbing kind, but they're so far-fetched that I'm no longer phased by them. Such as;

- How would that person react if I just kicked their dog right now? Or 'What if I stole their baby and threw it into traffic?'

I know that I am not going to do those things, so I recognise it as an intrusive thought and I usually make a sarcastic retort to myself in my mind, such as 'Ah yes, for everyone knows that's how I like to spend my time'.

Correction : fazed not phased.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:22 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Quote:
Yet how about non-anxious based intrusive thoughts?

I think the whole point is they cause anxiety that’s why they are unpleasant and feared.

Mine never caused anxiety, fear or any unpleasant and upsetting thoughts.

But it is still damn distracting. :o

If not the term intrusive thoughts -- as per associated with anxiety and fear...
Then the term I'm really looking for to describe my case is just plain fixations. :lol:

... Except it's not special interests either. Nor is an obsession. It's not unwanted. Nor wanted either. Eh.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2021, 4:06 am

Intrusive thoughts are usually telepathy?

= Telepathists

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 11:22 pm

Joe90 wrote:
This was mentioned in another thread but I didn't want to derail the thread on to myself so I thought I'd do a separate thread.

Quote:
Intrusive thoughts are unwanted thoughts that can pop into our heads without warning, at any time. They're often repetitive – with the same kind of thought cropping up again and again – and they can be disturbing or even distressing.

I definitely suffer this. Until now I've never known what these sorts of thoughts I have were, and whenever I expressed them to other people, even other autistics, they don't relate and it makes me feel alone. Does anyone here have intrusive thoughts, and if so can you describe them? (If you can, that is, as intrusive thoughts can be so weird and illogical that it can be like explaining the colour blue).

I can definitely relate to these thoughts being disturbing and distressing.

I have synesthesia so that can make some of my thoughts weird like I see emotions on objects, which can make me sound insane to others.

-Psychotronics.
-Synthetic telepathy.

Quote:
Electronic harassment, electromagnetic torture, or psychotronic torture is a conspiracy theory that government agents make use of electromagnetic radiation (such as the microwave auditory effect), radar, and surveillance techniques to transmit sounds and thoughts into people's heads, affect people's bodies, and harass people.[1][2] Individuals who claim to experience this call themselves "targeted individuals" (TIs). They claim they are victims of gang stalking and many have created or joined support and advocacy groups.[3][4]

Multiple medical professionals have evaluated that these experiences are hallucinations, the result of delusional disorders, or psychosis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_harassment

This is establishment disinformation.
Mind rape is a real thing.

I am not saying what you personally are experiencing is "Electronic harassment".
It is simply a consideration.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 11:32 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I have OCD so I have intrusive thoughts/obsessions about my pets and family members getting hurt, inappropriate sexual things, etc. I have almost no control over them and they bring me a great deal of anxiety.

don't react to them....

If a person is a victim of electronic harassment, there is a correlation between how susceptible to hypnotic trance induction the individual is, and the severity of the influence.

Some things, such as marijuana or stimulants such as caffeine can make a person more affected than they normally would be.

It is a good idea to ignore intrusive thoughts if it is possible.
They can be quite seductive, however.

BTW, This technology would have been significantly refined/researched just before and during WW2.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 11:36 pm

Flown wrote:
Earthbound_Alien wrote:
don't react to them....

So much easier said than done.

Does telling an anxious person to "stop being anxious" ever really help? I wouldn't think so. Telling a person with OCD to not react to intrusive thoughts is much the same. In fact, telling them this could end up backfiring. I know (from my own experience) that the suppression of these reactions can ultimately lead to an even stronger reaction in the future.

It is counterintuitive, but the following has been the most helpful for me:
embracing/sitting with the thoughts and recognizing that thoughts =/= me

As I have mentioned, some drugs and stimulants can worsen the problem.

Caffeine is of major concern for me, and I have virtually cut out all caffeine, except for a chocolate indulgence, from time to time.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 11:41 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I have intrusive thoughts. They are of the disturbing kind, but they're so far-fetched that I'm no longer fazed by them. Such as;

- How would that person react if I just kicked their dog right now? Or 'What if I stole their baby and threw it into traffic?'

I know that I am not going to do those things, so I recognise it as an intrusive thought and I usually make a sarcastic retort to myself in my mind, such as 'Ah yes, for everyone knows that's how I like to spend my time'.

Government agencies test to see who is profoundly affected by "Electronic Harassment".
If you start throwing babies into traffic, you will be tagged and monitored.
I suggest you don't. ;)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 8:51 am

Technic1 wrote:
Intrusive thoughts are usually telepathy?

= Telepathists
Telepathy does not exist.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:01 am

Lost_dragon wrote:

you might be a sociopath..... i mean when i have the urge to do bodily harm, it's usually people who deserve it. :)

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:28 am

theprisoner wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:

you might be a sociopath..... i mean when i have the urge to do bodily harm, it's usually people who deserve it. :)

Intrusive thoughts of harming oneself or others do not signify sociopathy. For many people, a lot of shame, frustration, and fear comes with these thoughts.

Quick definition of "intrusive thoughts":
"Intrusive thoughts are unwanted thoughts that can pop into our heads without warning, at any time. They're often repetitive – with the same kind of thought cropping up again and again – and they can be disturbing or even distressing.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 1:04 pm

Has anyone found a way to deal with or preferably block intrusive thoughts?!?

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 1:08 pm

Technic1 wrote:

For me, the solution is usually counterintuitive. The more I fight or try to block the thoughts, the stronger they become. The more I "embrace" them and allow them to exist, the more easily they subside.

As an example:
I'm having thoughts of putting a needle through my cheek. I recognize that I am having a thought of putting a needle through my cheek, but I know that I don't necessarily want to do that. I sit with this thought and move on. If it arises again, I repeat this "acceptance" of the thought.

Last edited by Flown on 29 Oct 2021, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 1:09 pm

Technic1 wrote:
An appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional would best be able to answer that question.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 3:11 pm

Technic1 wrote:

Medication helps me. I have ptsd. I wake up not being able to breathe because of intrusive thoughts and nightmares.

My doctor gave me a sedative (quite a strong dose) and it has helped me. I still get the thoughts and the nightmares but I can deal with it without going into a full blown panic where I'm struggling to breathe.