George Floyd Statues Vandilized in Brooklyn, Newark

Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 9:05 am

League_Girl wrote:
I wont be surprised when this gets compared to confederate statues being vandalized and torn down.

How is this any different?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 11:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
Ron De Santis (Trump Stalwart) passed a law that people who deface public statues or art should be charged.

Look forward to these vandals getting found and charged like this MAGA idiot defacing a memorial to the victims of the Post nightclub shooting

Catch Nazis....catch them all

Unfortunately, DeSatan probably implied that the law would only apply to defacing Confederate statues.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 12:59 pm

If defacing statues last summer was "Non-violent political expression", then how is defacing the George Floyd statue any different?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 7:11 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Ron De Santis (Trump Stalwart) passed a law that people who deface public statues or art should be charged.

Look forward to these vandals getting found and charged like this MAGA idiot defacing a memorial to the victims of the Post nightclub shooting

Catch Nazis....catch them all

Unfortunately, DeSatan probably implied that the law would only apply to defacing Confederate statues.

Yes I know that Tim. But I hope this comes back to bite them when its their own kind who get arrested.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 7:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
A statue honors a person. They are not knocking down Christopher Columbus's statues not because of what European explorers in general did, they are taking them down because of what he did.

Columbus was honoured at a time period when colonial imperialism was at its' height.

Floyd is being honoured in 2021 as a victim of a systemic problem that has plagued black people for 400 years.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 7:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
A statue honors a person. They are not knocking down Christopher Columbus's statues not because of what European explorers in general did, they are taking them down because of what he did.

Columbus was honoured at a time period when colonial imperialism was at its' height.

Floyd is being honoured in 2021 as a victim of a systemic problem that has plagued black people for 400 years.

Still how is this different?
Aside from the sympathies of the persons doing the vandalizing I see no difference in it. So bad/criminal behavior is permissible so long as one imagines their reasons to be just?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 8:51 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Aside from the sympathies of the persons doing the vandalizing I see no difference in it. So bad/criminal behavior is permissible so long as one imagines their reasons to be just?

Here's the difference
- the young people tearing down Columbus are compassionate
- the young people tearing down Floyd's statues are racist

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 7:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Here's the difference
- the young people tearing down Columbus are compassionate
- the young people tearing down Floyd's statues are racist

That is entirely subjective. You could apply that same excuse to any crime. There is no difference.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 2:14 am

Here's the evidence
https://www.wweek.com/news/city/2021/06 ... ray-paint/

The woman's purpose in vandalising the only black explorer in American history here is purely racist

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 2:43 am

why is racism here so durable? what causes it to persist?

salad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 2:47 am

auntblabby wrote:

Whether we like it or not racism is hardwired into the DNA of this country. The fact that we are 1,000 times less racist than we used to be is really impressive

Master Oogway

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 2:49 am

salad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Whether we like it or not racism is hardwired into the DNA of this country. The fact that we are 1,000 times less racist than we used to be is really impressive

in light of the "1000 times less" amount, as racist as we plainly are now, i'd hate to dwell upon just how much more racist we were back in the day.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 3:03 am

auntblabby wrote:
salad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

in light of the "1000 times less" amount, as racist as we plainly are now, i'd hate to dwell upon just how much more racist we were back in the day.

I live in Minnesota. Almost 100 years ago in Duluth, where I live, this happened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duluth_lynchings

We really have come a long way

Master Oogway

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 3:07 am

salad wrote:
The fact that we are 1,000 times less racist than we used to be is really impressive

Yes that's true, makes you wonder how awful it must have been to be a black person between 1619 - 1970

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 7:37 am

Was the defacement of the Matthias Baldwin statue in Philadelphia by Floyd protesters legitimate? Why or Why not?
He was an abolitionist but I'm not sure if that made up for his guilt of being a white man.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 7:38 am

salad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

No country has done more to end racism than the United States. Hating America is very fashionable nowadays but you're way off the mark.