George Floyd Statues Vandilized in Brooklyn, Newark

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 10:29 pm

WABC-7

Quote:
There is growing outrage in Brooklyn and in Newark after two statues to honor George Floyd were targeted by vandals.

The George Floyd statue that was unveiled on Juneteenth at 1545 Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn was discovered vandalized around 7:20 a.m. Thursday.

Police released surveillance video of four men wanted in connection to the vandalism incident in Brooklyn.

After news broke of the vandalism in Brooklyn, officials in Newark announced they were also investigating the defacing of the George Floyd statue at City Hall that occurred overnight.

In Brooklyn, George Floyd's face and the statue's pedestal were spray-painted black with the wording "PatriotsFront.Us" spray-painted in white -- barely five days after it was unveiled.
Police say it happened in the middle of the night.

The statue was unveiled on Juneteenth. It's made of wood-specifically, 200 individual sheets of plywood perfectly cut and bound together. And it was defaced on the eve of the sentencing of George Floyd's convicted killer, former Minneapolis police officer, Derek Chauvin.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 10:48 pm

those racist fascist vandals are murders of hope, murders of spirit, murderers of mind. they deserve to have an example made of themselves.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 12:27 am

Not that shocking given the current climate.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 12:38 am

I wont be surprised when this gets compared to confederate statues being vandalized and torn down.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 12:43 am

IMHO those would do such a thing lack a basic sense of decency. IOW they can't comprehend shame.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 12:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
IMHO those would do such a thing lack a basic sense of decency. IOW they can't comprehend shame.

Its like any racist, they don't care till they get caught on camera.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 1:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Its like any racist, they don't care till they get caught on camera.

it is all about THEM and THEM ONLY.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 10:59 am

I thought these things only happened in the south.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 12:08 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I thought these things only happened in the south.

Just like when I thought only racism happened down south back in the days.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 12:54 pm

So?
Lots of statues were vandalized and even toppled last year and most of you seemed to support it.
Even statues of abolitionists from the Civil War era were vandalized. So when is it OK to vandalize and when is it not? Or is it all subjective?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 8:00 am

League_Girl wrote:
I wont be surprised when this gets compared to confederate statues being vandalized and torn down.

Well somebody has to do this :D

Copycats are a thing. Over the last year this method of political expression has become somewhat normalized and excused. Objections to this tactic have been mocked. Once the bar was lowered it was inevitable that this tactic would be used on statues people on the left admire.

I personally do not think George Floyd deserves statues. There is his substantial criminal record. That argument is not a dealbreaker. I have always argued that in some cases keeping monuments to really bad people is warranted because monuments celebrate the extraordinary accomplishments. It has been argued that George Floyd ignited arguably the most widespread political protest movement in American history that has changed history by radically changing how people view American history and America today. The problem is George Floyd did no such thing, he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. If you must replace and replace the sculptures of the Presidents on top of Mt. Rushmore with the founders of Black Lives Matter, Ibram X. Kendi, and Robin DeAngelo. In the park below have representations of the peaceful protesters and the rioters. While I would despise that, these are the people that actually accomplished the change.

None of the above changes my desire that whomever did this gets caught and given the maximum so that they be made an example of. While I agree that it would be unfair and a double standard of the highest order, the long road from mob rule has to start somewhere.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 26 Jun 2021, 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 8:41 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
WABC-7
Quote:
There is growing outrage in Brooklyn and in Newark after two statues to honor George Floyd were targeted by vandals.

The George Floyd statue that was unveiled on Juneteenth at 1545 Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn was discovered vandalized around 7:20 a.m. Thursday.

Police released surveillance video of four men wanted in connection to the vandalism incident in Brooklyn.

After news broke of the vandalism in Brooklyn, officials in Newark announced they were also investigating the defacing of the George Floyd statue at City Hall that occurred overnight.

In Brooklyn, George Floyd's face and the statue's pedestal were spray-painted black with the wording "PatriotsFront.Us" spray-painted in white -- barely five days after it was unveiled.

The statue was unveiled on Juneteenth. It's made of wood-specifically, 200 individual sheets of plywood perfectly cut and bound together. And it was defaced on the eve of the sentencing of George Floyd's convicted killer, former Minneapolis police officer, Derek Chauvin.

Give them 22.5 years and they can rot in prison with Chauvin.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 9:33 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I personally do not think George Floyd deserves statues. There is his substantial criminal record. That argument is not a dealbreaker. .

The statues are a legacy to i) Floyd's suffering and ii) police corruption in the US, Not a legacy to Floyd himself (99.9% of protestors only know of his death not his life).

They are mean't to be symbolic.

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jun 2021, 1:38 am

Daddy63 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
WABC-7
Quote:

Give them 22.5 years and they can rot in prison with Chauvin.

Let's see here, maybe they can be charged with federal hate crimes. If so Oak Park Heights accepts federal offenders, so they might be incarcerated together.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 2:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I personally do not think George Floyd deserves statues. There is his substantial criminal record. That argument is not a dealbreaker. .

The statues are a legacy to i) Floyd's suffering and ii) police corruption in the US, Not a legacy to Floyd himself (99.9% of protestors only know of his death not his life).

They are mean't to be symbolic.

That opinion is mine, not League_Girl's.

A statue honors a person. They are not knocking down Christopher Columbus's statues not because of what European explorers in general did, they are taking them down because of what he did.

George Floyd statue dedicated at Newark City Hall
Quote:
“Mr. Floyd’s death elevated the Black Lives Matter movement, which has resulted in an international response, including protests, police reform measures and the removal of Confederate statues from public parks and racist names from organizations,” city officials said, according to Patch.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 11:49 pm

Ron De Santis (Trump Stalwart) passed a law that people who deface public statues or art should be charged.

Look forward to these vandals getting found and charged like this MAGA idiot defacing a memorial to the victims of the Post nightclub shooting

Catch Nazis....catch them all