What kind of humor is acceptable to Aspies

Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 1:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Al Jazeera is much more credible than the Daily Mail (obviously).

The Daily Mail doesn't broadcast NEWS. It broadcasts gossip.

Yes. The Daily Mail is like the National Enguirer, while Jazeera is just an Arab equivalent of CBS. Not even comparable things.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 2:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Most (almost all) people I meet like "Seinfeld." I find it to be obnoxious.

I can't stand Seinfeld. They all seemed like entitled, whiney, self-centred jerks.

I loved Diane Chambers on Cheers.

Its so funny how humour is so unique to each of us. I loved the observational comedy of Seinfeld. The characters were not nice people, but It made me literally laugh out loud. I found Diane a little annoying. Not sure I ever laughed at her.

I loved Frasier though. Niles and Frasier were stuck up and condescending, but I think Martin Crane and Ros playing the straight man made them funnier.

About 10 years ago a teenager excitedly told me of this new sitcom she discovered at lunch time on her day off. Had I heard of it? It was Cheers, yes I had heard of it. Lol.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 2:45 pm

I don't like humour that makes fun and tries to bait others. I didn't see the original post. I don't know if I would have laughed, but mean humour or snide humour isn't funny to me.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 2:49 pm

Have found Fraser and Cheers both to give me smiles . Over and over again . Between those and the Big Bang series
Almost make me feel normal ..lolz Must agree with above post about mean and snide humour

where ever you go ,there you are

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 2:52 pm

https://foldoc.org/hacker+humour

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 4:35 pm

Maybe the problem was ...that all of us in the 21st Century have short attention spans. It was a two and half minute film clip. I speeded it up to get to the conclusion, and saw the bruised Rocky give a speech towards the end - and saw the Russian audience slowly rise to applaud him. So I got a vague notion of what it was about. I am sure that its a thrilling fight sequence, but I just wasnt in the mood to watch the whole thing.

I did a similar joke thing here recently, but with a shorter film clip. I told WPers that" I had no effects from my first Phizer Covid shot, but I have just gotten my second Phizer shot. This an actual vid taken with a smartphone of me at the clinic after I got it".Then I posted a scene from the movie "American Warewolf in London". It showed a young man reading a book who suddenly gets convulsions, screams for help, and then transforms into a warewolf before your eyes. It was a WP hit with lots of lol'ing, including from one of the members who took offense at your thing. But even then there were other WP folks who felt the need to post disclaimers for the benifit of still others on the site explaining that NP "is just kidding".

So...joke at your own risk...is all that I can say.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 4:43 pm

hurtloam wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I can't stand Seinfeld. They all seemed like entitled, whiney, self-centred jerks.

I loved Diane Chambers on Cheers.

Its so funny how humour is so unique to each of us. I loved the observational comedy of Seinfeld. The characters were not nice people, but It made me literally laugh out loud. I found Diane a little annoying. Not sure I ever laughed at her.

I loved Frasier though. Niles and Frasier were stuck up and condescending, but I think Martin Crane and Ros playing the straight man made them funnier.

About 10 years ago a teenager excitedly told me of this new sitcom she discovered at lunch time on her day off. Had I heard of it? It was Cheers, yes I had heard of it. Lol.

I loved Frasier too :heart:

When I went to Universal Studios (MGM? One of them?) I got to go on the actual set of Cheers, and they picked people from the audience to read a script and be filmed. I got to do the Diane role. I can't remember for the life of me what the episode was, and I don't even think I got a copy of it. I'd love to see it. Seinfeld bugged me in part because the colours were so drab and everything seemed to be brown or dirty. I really liked the woman on Seinfeld with curly hair, as an actress - just not her character. I forget her name but you know who I mean. She did a great job in another show called The Adventures of Christine (?) I always identified with Christine being such a misfit and screwup.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 5:43 pm

I love humor that punctures the comfortable complacency of the viewer. So, Cheers was OK but Seinfeld was better, and Borat, although crude (or maybe because crude), was better still.

I seldom use humor here, except maybe in a quiet aside to one of my usual suspects, because I think it extremely likely that my humor would offend the majority of forum participants.

Heh, heh, she said pants....

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 6:35 pm

Jakki wrote:
In my experience humor can be hard to follow in the written word for a great deal of people. Especially if it is subtle in nature.

This.
Often on Facebook when people are joking with each other in the comments of someone's post they usually use emoticons to indicate that they're joking, because if no emoticons or kisses or anything like that were used then it might sometimes look too serious and some readers might think they're actually having an argument.

NTs aren't the mind-reading savants Aspies make them out to be.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 6:49 pm

Deadpan irony/sarcasm is a bit risky on the Internet generally, and even more so here. In some places, there's a formal or informal policy of flagging it up. Sticking " /s " or " </sarcasm> "after your sarcasm is popular, though it risks making the sarcasm feel more hostile than intended. ("See, I have to tell you it's sarcasm 'cos you're so stupid.") I've seen one forum where all ironic statements are supposed to be typed in red.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 6:54 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

That's why when them, or Larry David or Peter Griffin/Roger/lots of other Seth MacFarlen characters/etc suffer you don't mind, they probably had it coming.

It makes it harder to care about the characters but sometimes that's part of the overall schtick, they're not good people, they're just people stuck in toxic outcomes of their own creation; the toxicity and dysfunction they're surrounded with creates the setups.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 7:00 pm

I guess I have towel humour at times.

Oh. I did get the joke on the other thread. :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 7:12 pm

"Towel" humor?

Did you mean "toilet humor".

Or is "towel humor" a separate actual thing?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 7:18 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Deadpan irony/sarcasm is a bit risky on the Internet generally, and even more so here. In some places, there's a formal or informal policy of flagging it up. Sticking " /s " or " </sarcasm> "after your sarcasm is popular, though it risks making the sarcasm feel more hostile than intended. ("See, I have to tell you it's sarcasm 'cos you're so stupid.") I've seen one forum where all ironic statements are supposed to be typed in red.

I've considered using "/s" like I do on other websites, though I don't feel like possibly having to constantly explain what /s means since I never see anyone here use it, so I just try not to use sarcasm. lmao

It's useful though. People here should use it more.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 7:18 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
"Towel" humor?

Did somebody need a towel?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 7:40 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
"Towel" humor?

No. Someone once said I had dry humour.

Towels are dry?