What kind of humor is acceptable to Aspies

Page 3 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 12:36 am

Depends on the aspie. And the enviroment they were raised in. And, probably the most important thing, context.

Personally, I like dark humor and sarcasm, but I can't deny that the later goes over my head at times. I also like the comedy show Friends, so that might say something about me, too. Some jokes on it seemed to be too American/too NT/too 90s for me to get, but still.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 5:29 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I love humor that punctures the comfortable complacency of the viewer. So, Cheers was OK but Seinfeld was better, and Borat, although crude (or maybe because crude), was better still.

I seldom use humor here, except maybe in a quiet aside to one of my usual suspects, because I think it extremely likely that my humor would offend the majority of forum participants.

Heh, heh, she said pants....

I wonder how many aspies find Borat funny. It's very subtle humour. I couldn't watch all the way through. I understand the concept of satire. I get what point he's making, but it doesn't amuse me and it doesn't make me laugh.

How do you respond to it? I'm curious.

There's a British comedy about politics called The Thick of It. Peter Capaldi is one of my favourite actors ever since seeing Local Hero (which is itself not laugh out loud funny, but more whimsical), but I didn't find this particular satire in Borat amusing. I get what it's saying, but I didn't enjoy it. And I'm certainly not the target, so wasn't offended by it.

Satire is difficult to get right. The British tend to have a better grasp on it that American comedies. Though I would like to be proven wrong.

However I do find Craig Ferguson very funny and he's quite crude, so it's not the crudeness that puts me off. I think Craig is more joyous about the crudeness and he pulls it back when he's gone too far, there's no malice in it. whereas satirists are holding a big arrow going, look this is disgusting. We've taken this too far to make a point about how revolted you should be with real life hypocrisy in power.

Am I overthinking it?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 5:31 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I loved Frasier too :heart:

When I went to Universal Studios (MGM? One of them?) I got to go on the actual set of Cheers, and they picked people from the audience to read a script and be filmed. I got to do the Diane role. I can't remember for the life of me what the episode was, and I don't even think I got a copy of it. I'd love to see it.

That is so cool.

I need to look up the Adventures of Christine. I like Julia Louis Dreyfus too. I haven't seen Veep, but that's based on The Thick of It which I mentioned in another comment.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 5:54 pm

I like Sienfeld, the show, and his stand up acts.

Like Frazer.

Never had a desire to see Borat.

I dont get Tom Green.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 6:51 pm

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 7:10 pm

A disturbing amount of the humour I laugh at is about people incompetently trying to deceive, and failing. Sergeant Bilko, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers. I suppose the fact that it's such a popular ingredient of comedy means I'm in good company at least. Maybe a sociologist could attempt an explanation? Come to think of it, why do people laugh at all, about anything?

I used to love The Young Ones and Monty Python till I wore them out by watching them too many times.

I enjoyed Red Dwarf and Flight Of The Conchords. I thought Harry Enfield was a mixture of good and weak. Snuff Box was rather like that. And Darth Morenghi. Marty Feldman wasn't great but he had flashes of genius I thought. I liked The Simpsons for a long time. Peter Cook and Dudley Moore were also a mixture. Steve Coogan nearly always amuses me.

Alexei Sayle's comedy always struck me as mostly rather feeble, and yet he never once failed to cheer me up with one or two of his lines if I watched one of his shows when I was feeling down. A lot of his stuff amused me more when I saw it for the second time, and some of it still makes me smile now, for example:
"They laughed at Arthur Askey, but history has proved them wrong." (you'd probably have to have experienced Arthur Askey's rather dated comedy to appreciate that).
I also like Alexei Sayle's character Bobby Chariot, who is a useless comedian who never gets the audience to laugh. For some reason that amuses me.

A lot of the humour that Americans amuse each other with doesn't work for me. I think that's partly because I don't know what a lot of their phrases mean, but when I do know, the jokes are often too corny or not strong enough to amuse me. Not that the British are very far behind in their fondness for weak humour. Some of their sitcoms - like "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em" - completely fail on me. But Steptoe and Son I really enjoyed, until they ran out of good ideas and started rehashing the old ones or just using rubbish.

Seinfield mildly amused me from time to time, but most of it seemed pretty feeble.

I used to like Ben Elton, probably because his humour was so cynical and cruel towards people and attitudes that I can't stand. I also like South Park for the way it cuts through hypocrisy, though some of it is so near the knuckle it makes me wince to see it.

I don't know what all that means in terms of answering the OP's question. But I guess I'm evidence that Aspies aren't always incapable of understanding sarcasm, irony, etc. I suspect my sense of humour is pretty normal, and more specific to me as a person than it is to me as an Aspie.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 8:47 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
"Towel" humor?

Did you mean "toilet humor".

Or is "towel humor" a separate actual thing?

No. Someone once said I had dry humour.

Towels are dry?

So... "Towelette humour"?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 12:54 pm

Disparging poor Towelettes....... used or fresh ?
?

where ever you go ,there you are

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:16 pm

Jakki wrote:
Disparging poor Towelettes....... used or fresh ?
?

Alors, ma pauvre petite Towlette.... :D

Extremely random humor is very acceptable to some of us.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 8:19 am

Towelette humour

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 4:41 pm

salad wrote:
I made a thread in the PPR section of Wrongplanet satirizing how Sylvester Stallone's "Rocky 4" depicted Rocky as ending the Cold War. My joke thread backfired and many didnt get the satirical intent. When I made the exact same thread on Bodybuilding forums everyone loved it and people thought it was hilarious

How does a person have humor on WP given that Aspies struggle with sarcasm and figurative language while my humor can be really sarcastic and ironic? I dont know how to be as funny here as I am on Bodybuilding forums
Autistics and humor is not an easy subject to tackle. We are all very different and we all have very different senses of humor. I tend to be very sarcastic sometimes. It's all about the individual. There is no one size fits all when it comes to humor. Some will have a similar sense of humor as you and others won't. You can't fit us all together there.

Wreck It Ralph

autiecat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Jul 2021, 4:49 pm

I like dry humour.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 5:21 pm

autiecat wrote:
I like dry humour.
me too

Wreck It Ralph

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 8:18 pm

https://www.geocities.ws/aspergersareus/

Asperger's Are Us is the first comedy troupe composed of people diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.
We've performed over 150 original absurdist sketch shows in 10 countries since 2010.
We do not poke fun at (or mention) Asperger's and we did not form to prove that autistic people can be funny.
We formed for the same reason anyone does comedy: To make you laugh!
Please do not expect us to be anything like the sitcoms about autism, or anything else that relies on making fun of people.
Expect silly deadpan sketches that appeal to fans of Monty Python, Andy Kaufman, and The Weather Channel.

Thanks for coming!

Videos:

https://www.geocities.ws/aspergersareus/videos.html

https://www.geocities.ws/aspergersareus/realfaq.html

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 8:44 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
"Towel" humor?

Did you mean "toilet humor".

Or is "towel humor" a separate actual thing?

No. Someone once said I had dry humour.

Towels are dry?

I don't have words to describe what I find funny, but this is hilarious. :lol:

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2021, 6:21 am

I grew up watching a lot of sitcoms and stand-up comedy. I don't like it when people are mean just to be mean, but I love witty insult comedy. Even if someone insults me and they do it with wit, I usually don't mind. Apparently, this kind of comedy has fallen out of favor, or at least so it seems from what I read on the internet, but I still enjoy it.

Also, when it comes to sitcom characters who are "bad people," I find that a lot of sitcoms are about how deeply, comically flawed people can still basically be good people. It depends on the character of course. Some of them are just supposed to be really, really terrible, but such a character can still be enjoyable in a comedy if they're well written and played.