Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 8:30 am

'They said they were going to come kill me and my son': Belton dad, autism advocate fed up with social media death threats

Quote:
A Belton father who is an autism advocate says for the last few months, he has been living in fear.
Marty Mendoza claims he and his son have received death threats over the internet and he is hoping the person responsible can be stopped.

Mendoza is a single dad who lives in Belton with his son Marty Jr. Marty Jr. suffers from severe autism and is non-verbal. The two have nearly half-a-million followers on social media and are well known in Central Texas.

Mendoza said a few months ago, he started getting threats from a man online asking where he was from and threatening to kill him and his son. Mendoza said he is an autism advocate and spends nearly all of his time with his son trying to raise awareness about the condition.

They said they were going to come kill me and my son. Just being a single parent and a single dad with an autistic son, we just try to live our lives and try to spread the word of autism,” said Mendoza. “All of our formats and platforms is nothing racial, nothing political. It is about the day in the life of my son. To actually get threats and things like that, it hurts me, because we don’t know if it is real or not."
Mendoza said whoever is doing this, he wants them to know this is not funny and it is scary.
“I've been fighting this fight for 30 years, and this little hate they are doing, it is not going to stop me from doing what I’m doing," he said.

6 News reached out to Belton Police about the incident. They said to be cautious when using social media. Social networking brings people with similar interests and life experiences together, but it can also bring unintended consequences, they said.
They said making threats on social media could lead to misdemeanor or even felony charges, depending on the facts.

Belton Police safety tips for social media:
Use privacy settings.
Do not share personal details (address or phone number)
Limit your online circle
Block trolls or unfriendly followers
Do not meet strangers (or meet in a public place)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 10:00 am

What kind of a sad pathetic person sends death-threats on the internet. I just really have to wonder what goes on in someone's head to make them think...'you know I should threaten to kill people on the internet'.

Also, so are the police going to try and actually investigate this and maybe try and track the person down? or just tell people 'be careful on the internet' durrr.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 11:50 am

I believe i found his twitter video blaming Neurodiversity Extremists.

They have nothing better to do it seems than harass innocent disabled people or their carers simply because they want severe autism hidden away like the bad old days.

https://mypovonline.com/bingley567/activity/5119/

- George Bernie Shaw

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jun 2021, 11:58 am

What is the law in Texas? Here, online death threats would be sufficient to send one to jail.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 12:08 pm

Use privacy settings.
Limit your online circle

This bears repeating for us on WP. ^

What is a "Neurodiversity Extremist"? Now I've heard everything. Unbelievable.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 3:05 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Use privacy settings.
Limit your online circle

This bears repeating for us on WP. ^

What is a "Neurodiversity Extremist"? Now I've heard everything. Unbelievable.

A "neurodiversity extremist" like any other extremist - someone who is intolerant of others or their opinions. For example personally i would like a cure for my neurodevelopmental disorder but respect others who dont, so i dont think of myself as having extremist views.

Sadly some have a more aggressive approach, rather than just advocating for a peaceful alternative way of existing with their autism, they don`t want curing or treatment so no one else must be allowed to ever be either.

The neurodiversity paradigm states Autism is not a pathology & is only a social model of disability. Clearly this man`s son is visibly disabled & with autism so runs contrary to this belief which is why they hate him.

Its the satellite picture to the flat earther. They would rather he be hidden away.

Anyway I would probably fall off my chair laughing if they were officially designated a terrorist group as he suggests.

They must be scared of the day a biological test comes out & they are told “you`ve tested negative for autism but positive for being an a***hole” :D

Here`s a recent article from someone who wrote an article confessing she used to do this kind of thing

https://www.ncsautism.org/blog//the-cog ... istortions

- George Bernie Shaw

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 5:03 am

I saw a lot of this online back in 2011-2013 with the anti-DSM movement among Aspies.

A lot of resentment against being classified as "autistic" and blaming parents of severely autistic kids for scrapping Aspergers (as if they would care).

I used to get angry at aspie supremacists but now I prefer to help them as I think its just insecurity about how to handle their own problems that makes them drawn to being nuerodiversity extremists

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 5:49 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
What kind of a sad pathetic person sends death-threats on the internet. I just really have to wonder what goes on in someone's head to make them think...'you know I should threaten to kill people on the internet'.

Also, so are the police going to try and actually investigate this and maybe try and track the person down? or just tell people 'be careful on the internet' durrr.

What I find strange about it is how they can claim that it is difficult to track someone on the internet, but, as two young teenagers from the UK found out when they learned how to enter the service programming side of websites in school, and they decided to try it out on the White House.... The FBI came down straight away and arrested them and their Mum told me (I used to meet her on the train) that UK laws to protect children just didn't apply. (And their hacking attempt did not get far so they did not see anything, but the FBI insisted that because they hacked (Which was said to have been very easy to do) they could have seen things and therefore they were being charged as if they had seen things?

So how come they can come down fast on people from distant lands to defend their own interests when they want to, and yet ignore senarios like the cyber bullying mentioned above when they are supposed to be employed to work for the state which are representing its people?

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 27 Jun 2021, 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 6:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
I saw a lot of this online back in 2011-2013 with the anti-DSM movement among Aspies.

A lot of resentment against being classified as "autistic" and blaming parents of severely autistic kids for scrapping Aspergers (as if they would care).

I used to get angry at aspie supremacists but now I prefer to help them as I think its just insecurity about how to handle their own problems that makes them drawn to being nuerodiversity extremists

Some may have been treated badly by people on the spectrum so they are themselves victims and feel sore as they may have only met a few and assume all on the spectrum are alike. It comes from a lack of understanding and the difficulty is that the autism spectrum is one that is very hard to explain to other how ones mind is different in a way that they can comprehend.
Think of a person on the spectrum who does not know they are... They feel like an outcast because they don't fit in. Now think of it from the comprehension of those who are looking at the one on the spectrum and they can't fathom out why this person is different to them? Why does he not act like us? Why do they not want to be with us when we have gone out of the way to invite him? To them, they don't understand why someone acts in a different way because they can't comprehend it... It is like trying to understand someone who can speak english but are from a very different culture and from a different part of the earth. The words seem the same but somehow the meanings of those words to each party involved are different and so each party will go thinking they have communicated efficiently but what they think they know is a different concept to what should have been said, and the outcomes can cause conflict where both parties think the other is being unreasonable and there ends up bad feeling.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 1:59 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

What I find strange about it is how they can claim that it is difficult to track someone on the internet, but, as two young teenagers from the UK found out when they learned how to enter the service programming side of websites in school, and they decided to try it out on the White House.... The FBI came down straight away and arrested them and their Mum told me (I used to meet her on the train) that UK laws to protect children just didn't apply. (And their hacking attempt did not get far so they did not see anything, but the FBI insisted that because they hacked (Which was said to have been very easy to do) they could have seen things and therefore they were being charged as if they had seen things?

So how come they can come down fast on people from distant lands to defend their own interests when they want to, and yet ignore senarios like the cyber bullying mentioned above when they are supposed to be employed to work for the state which are representing its people?

Different places have different freedom of speech laws, in Europe they have stricter rules, in the US its generally relaxed I believe. The difference between bullying, saying something disgusting and harassment are subjective and possibly difficult to prove.

Threats to kill or hacking the white house / pentagon are something else entirely.

Texas is a red state so presumably has quite relaxed laws on what one can say on the internet maybe (uk person talking )

- George Bernie Shaw

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 2:22 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Different places have different freedom of speech laws, in Europe they have stricter rules, in the US its generally relaxed I believe. The difference between bullying, saying something disgusting and harassment are subjective and possibly difficult to prove.

Threats to kill or hacking the white house / pentagon are something else entirely.

Texas is a red state so presumably has quite relaxed laws on what one can say on the internet maybe (uk person talking )

I think you have the wrong take on what I said.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 2:38 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I think you have the wrong take on what I said.

Interpreting what you said & answering differently its because crimes against the state are nearly i find dealt with more harshly than against the person. (Look at julian assange as an example)

- George Bernie Shaw

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 6:39 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
They feel like an outcast because they don't fit in. Now think of it from the comprehension of those who are looking at the one on the spectrum and they can't fathom out why this person is different to them? Why does he not act like us? Why do they not want to be with us when we have gone out of the way to invite him? To them, they don't understand why someone acts in a different way because they can't comprehend it... It is like trying to understand someone who can speak english but are from a very different culture and from a different part of the earth. The words seem the same but somehow the meanings of those words to each party involved are different and so each party will go thinking they have communicated efficiently but what they think they know is a different concept to what should have been said, and the outcomes can cause conflict where both parties think the other is being unreasonable and there ends up bad feeling.

I agree with your interpretation of mismatched perceptions but I think directing anger against autism advocates is going about this the wrong way.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 6:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
They feel like an outcast because they don't fit in. Now think of it from the comprehension of those who are looking at the one on the spectrum and they can't fathom out why this person is different to them? Why does he not act like us? Why do they not want to be with us when we have gone out of the way to invite him? To them, they don't understand why someone acts in a different way because they can't comprehend it... It is like trying to understand someone who can speak english but are from a very different culture and from a different part of the earth. The words seem the same but somehow the meanings of those words to each party involved are different and so each party will go thinking they have communicated efficiently but what they think they know is a different concept to what should have been said, and the outcomes can cause conflict where both parties think the other is being unreasonable and there ends up bad feeling.

I agree with your interpretation of mismatched perceptions but I think directing anger against autism advocates is going about this the wrong way.

What does the word “autism advocates” mean anymore?

Someone who agrees with the ND
paradigm? Someone who thinks the disabilities caused by autism are only from society? Someone who believes autism is a disorder and a cure should be found or just someone who talks regularly about autism?

It seems the meaning of advocacy has been lost somewhere.

- George Bernie Shaw

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 9:43 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

In subsequent posts it is said that he blames "neurodiversity extremists." But why would a "neurodiversity extremist" threaten to kill his son? This seems highly unlikely.

It's certainly possible that he has gotten criticism from autistic adults on the grounds that he is violating his son's privacy. See:

- On Digital Exhibitionism By Autism Parents: Why Parents Live Tweeting Their Disabled Children's Worst Moments Is Red Flag That Should Concern Everyone - Sunday, March 8, 2015
- 16 MUST SEE Memes That Nail What It’s Like To Have an “Autism Parent”

But, if autistic writers like the above were to take any action beyond criticisms like the above, they would be far more likely to report the parent to Child Protective Services than to threaten to kill the child.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 10:44 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

In subsequent posts it is said that he blames "neurodiversity extremists." But why would a "neurodiversity extremist" threaten to kill his son? This seems highly unlikely.

It's certainly possible that he has gotten criticism from autistic adults on the grounds that he is violating his son's privacy. See:

- On Digital Exhibitionism By Autism Parents: Why Parents Live Tweeting Their Disabled Children's Worst Moments Is Red Flag That Should Concern Everyone - Sunday, March 8, 2015
- 16 MUST SEE Memes That Nail What It’s Like To Have an “Autism Parent”

But, if autistic writers like the above were to take any action beyond criticisms like the above, they would be far more likely to report the parent to Child Protective Services than to threaten to kill the child.

This is the thing i havent seen any of his other video`s but in this his son is sitting still & not having any sort of meltdown, he`s also an adult anyway i believe?.

It seems its ok for an aspie child to be seen & paraded without any issue of "violating privacy.", but that showing someone who`s ID and not so functionning it suddenly becomes an issue.

Possibly because these people are ashamed of them & want that side of the spectum hidden away.

Non verbal, Intellectual Disability, faeces smearing & destructive behaviour doesnt quite fit in with the beautiful cover of silberman`s book of butterflies & flowers, they are trying to promote.

- George Bernie Shaw