Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 3:18 pm

It’s often said forgiving one`s parents is a sign of maturity, understanding that they had to deal with their fair share of crap from life too usually at a young age with no parenting training let alone training with bringing up a non-verbal disabled child with extra special needs with maybe destructive & challenging behaviour, while juggling holding down a job / home and bringing up their other children.

I often think what I put my parents through, I left home quite late in life but my less able autistic peers my age are still living at home with their elderly parents.

There`s a young mother living not far from me with NT kids, I often hear her screaming at them, when she can’t cope, obviously these kids are just naughty & can understand basic instructions, I often think God knows what she would be like with an autistic child.

Obviously sexual / physical abuse is unforgivable in most cases, but many of these parents unlike adoptive parents never asked for the challenge to bring up a disabled child, rather it was forced upon them in their twenties or thirties. Many are also single parents with their own mental health issues who have to deal with things alone, in the understanding that they will probably have to look after their child for life, beyond 18, possibly have to put their adult child in care one day or worse see them die before them as what happened to my aunt with my severely autistic cousin, who had to watch him slowly die in his early 40`s.

Is it any wonder they may need to let off some steam online?

The irony is some of these women trolls end up having severely autistic kids themselves and end up having to eat their words.

I suspect many of these trolls or those who produce these memes are simply immature and self-centred, they hold childish grudges & lack the insight to see the other side, they demand a super high impossible expectation of parenthood & human coping in general, while at the same time expect to be excused from their own inadequacies.

- George Bernie Shaw

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 8:19 pm

carlos55 wrote:

They should let off steam anonymously, thus protecting both their own and their kids' privacy.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 8:25 pm

carlos55 wrote:
It seems its ok for an aspie child to be seen & paraded without any issue of "violating privacy.",

No, that's not okay either, IMO. It can expose the child to bullying (even more bullying than they would otherwise likely be facing).

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2021, 6:49 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

They should let off steam anonymously, thus protecting both their own and their kids' privacy.

As mentioned his son I believe is an autistic adult.

What I meant was there have been plenty of aspie kids on tv who wrote a book etc..and it appears no one objects to that, but as soon as the severe end is shown even without meltdown as in the linked video, there is usually an uproar among ND activists.

So the logical conclusion is they wish only one higher functioning side of the spectrum be shown to the public and want to cover up those with greater support needs.

Leaving aside the moral issue their logic is flawed since most people now know autism is a spectrum disorder and severely autistic people exist and continue to be born.

It’s almost like they really believe the medical community and society will forget about them which will obviously never happen.

Maybe these bullies should use their time in more productive ways.

- George Bernie Shaw

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 10:09 am

carlos55 wrote:
As mentioned his son I believe is an autistic adult.

What I meant was there have been plenty of aspie kids on tv who wrote a book etc.

If the kid wrote a book and wants publicity for same, that's different -- even if the kid is too severely disabled to be called an "Aspie." For example, Ido Kedar is unable to speak, but has written a book about how he learned to read and type.

What's objectionable is putting kids -- including Aspies -- in the public eye who have not clearly indicated that they want the publicity, and/or who don't personally benefit from the publicity.