Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 3:06 pm

Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22.5 years in prison for the murder of George Floyd

Quote:

Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin has been sentenced to 270 months, or 22.5 years, in the murder of George Floyd last year.

Chauvin, 45, was expected to serve about 15 years behind bars.

Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill said the sentence was not based on "emotion" or "sympathy" but said "we need to recognize the pain of the Floyd family."

Chauvin, earlier, offered his "condolences" to Floyd's family but did not apologize for his actions last year that caused Floyd's death. He said he was unable to speak further due to other ongoing litigation.

Chauvin's mother also spoke, as well as Floyd's 7-year-old daughter Gianna, nephew and brothers. Floyd's family and attorneys called for the court to give Chauvin the maximum sentence.

‘This is not the typical second-degree murder," prosecutor Matthew Frank said, calling for 360 months. "This is egregious."

Judge denies new trial

Hennepin County Jude Peter Cahill on Friday morning denied a defense attorney's request for a new trial.

Eric Nelson, Chauvin's attorney, filed a motion claiming Chauvin was deprived of his Constitutional right to a fair trial, but Cahill said Nelson failed to prove any of the allegations.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 3:16 pm

He has to serve 2/3 before parole (assuming good behavior), so 15 years.

Be the hero of your life.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 3:42 pm

Seems reasonable.
It's not like making Chauvin suffer unreasonably would contribute to making things right although obviously he needs to be made to take responsibility for his actions.

Making it easier to hold cops accountable for violent crimes committed while on duty is how the system itself needs to take responsibility. Chauvin might have been less likely to do it if he knew he wouldn't just get away with it.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 3:48 pm

I would have been fine with the death penalty.

Under the law my understanding is that 30 years was have been the maximum sentence this judge could have given and it's disappointing the sentence was considerably less.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 4:05 pm

He sent his "condolences" to the Floyd family.

I'd be curious to know if he is actually remorseful.

They'll probably put him in some sort of segregation while in prison.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 4:08 pm

Daddy63 wrote:

Under the law my understanding is that 30 years was have been the maximum sentence this judge could have given and it's disappointing the sentence was considerably less.

Due to the sadistic nature of murder that would be justice. If the decision is legally correct I don’t have the knowledge to say.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 4:18 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:

Due to the sadistic nature of murder that would be justice. If the decision is legally correct I don’t have the knowledge to say.

The decision is absolutely within the limits of the law and the death penalty wasn't an option for the judge to consider.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 5:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
They'll probably put him in some sort of segregation while in prison.

At least at first. Protective custody alone can be pretty hard on people though, he'll likely ask to be transferred out at point.

kraftiekortie wrote:
He sent his "condolences" to the Floyd family.

I'd be curious to know if he is actually remorseful.

Definitely, I can understand being careful with wording since there's still legal proceedings going on that can be impacted but if he's genuinely remorseful he owes them a follow-up once those issues are resolved.

Of course if he's really sorry he can use the time to analyze what failings occurred within police culture that helped contribute to that moment occurring.

Obviously he should first examine it from his own role first but he's got lots of time.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 4:52 am

And where are the people who said he would walk?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 5:04 am

cyberdad wrote:

I would not be so hard on the pessimists, they had plenty of history to back up their pessimism. While I was not convinced he would be acquitted anti woke me was fearful of that possibility.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 8:23 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I would not be so hard on the pessimists, they had plenty of history to back up their pessimism. While I was not convinced he would be acquitted anti woke me was fearful of that possibility.
I was one of those pessimists, and was very pleasantly surprised when the verdict and the sentence were handed down.  Justice is being served, racism is being challenged, and those who express dismay at Chauvin's trial, verdict, and sentence are revealing their own racism ... although I do believe the sentence coulda / shoulda / woulda been much longer (e.g., life without parole).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 11:48 am

Daddy63 wrote:

Minnesota doesn’t have the death penalty.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 3:43 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:

Minnesota doesn’t have the death penalty.

The majority of state governments in the US have eradicated capital punishment.