Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2021, 11:48 pm

Just recently, I made the decision to delete my Facebook account. I did it because there were trolls who would exploit the "report abuse" option to essentially DoS (denial of service) attack other people for any reason. They would do this by being all-around annoying and getting you to fight them. Once they got you mad enough, they'd search your comments for anything that Facebook's ToS (terms of service) would qualify as a violation and get your account suspended, all because Facebook decided to relegate moderation to a cluster of servers that were probably not programmed very well. I tried to appeal the decisions, but something tells me they only offered that option to quell the outrage to some extent because I haven't heard from them since I filed the appeal. Eventually, I decided people were just on there to fight and stooping to their level was just not worth it and deleted my account, altogether. I was no saint, but there were people on there who should've gotten equally harsh punishments that never got them and their reporting system was obviously a "first come, first serve" concept that benefitted whoever snitched first. I recommended a system that would block users from one another or users from certain pages if they became a big enough problem. We have antivirus software that can do this (heuristics), and some of these programs are free, so why not program moderation AI to do the same thing? That way people can still post and fights can still be stopped before they get out of hand. Don't try to fight the flow of water, build channels to guide the flood away. But I guess we'll see... :|

WhatTheHey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2021, 12:52 pm

I deleted my farcebook awhile back.

First, it's very worst-of-NT-ish much of the time, in that even the people using it admit they can't be real on it, but just post for show and "likes".

Second, I also got disgusted when I learned that the whole thing is set up to give you little dopamine hits every time you get a "like"/etc/etc, so people on there are just feeding each other dopa hits, and allowing the programming to alter their brain chemistry.

Third, I don't have a lot of relationships in my life, but the ones I have tend to be very real, and very long term. Farcebook's pseudo-relationships and para-relationships are just garbage to me.

Fourth, in the last several years it's turned into a nightmare of bloated psychological / political isolation cells where the inmates spend too much time screaming at each other over things that aren't real and they can't change anyway,

It's all weird junk.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 3:27 pm

I deleted mine about a year ago because I felt it was teaching me to be even less social than I am. I was following people I literally haven't seen or spoken to for 20 years but I still felt I was part of their lives because they were 'sharing' things with me.

I was quite happy with that, it felt social but without the bits I don't like (i.e. actually talking to people). I want to be more social, have some real friends but Facebook seemed like a barrier to that.