Either Super Organized And Tidy Or Messy.

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 3:28 am

nothing seems to work for or with me. :|

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 3:58 am

I do have a way of being super tidy again and that is to not have things... But then I would be bored.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 4:03 am

The problem is though that I would find that I would miss having things to tinker with. I like making things to relax...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 4:19 am

even in the army barracks when i had nothing but my wall locker and its contents, i was still a slob. getting ready for inspection was a bear.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 4:22 am

I find I am clean and tidy when working for others, but not with myself. It is strange.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 5:38 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I find I am clean and tidy when working for others, but not with myself. It is strange.

I am always more organized and orderly at work.

/Mats

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 5:58 am

A one-person workspace can be most efficient when messy, but if two people are trying to share the facility, more tidy-up time pays off.
When I sweep or clean, I want to be able to see a distinct difference.
Uncovering and resuming a project is a bit of a hazard when tidying up.
When I moved to the country, I spent years shopping for a pocket flashlight, only to find what I wanted in my old camping gear, previously salvaged.
I hoard bits of material and hardware because they can be so hard to replace, both in time and money, but organizing them is a challenge.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 9:56 am

I suppose back in the day, if you were poor then you had no stuff, you were lucky if you could afford to eat. Meanwhile the middle class had servants to keep everything neat. These days we can buy mountains of stuff but there's only us to tidy it up.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 2:54 pm

Oh yes, "in a nutshell!"

Recently, I set the guideline (a rough guideline at that) to clean-up my sink on 'even numbered dates.'

This discussion thread proves to be a rather novel "nudge" to clean-up my sink - and today (as of this writing) is an 'even numbered date!'

RELATED: Executive-functioning discusses organizational habits related to the Autism Spectrum.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 4:15 pm

A couple of rules I try to apply, with some success, are:

1. Don't let it get any worse (make that a way of life, and anything else is a permanent bonus).

2. Do a little bit to make it better now and then.

The mistake I often used to make was to decide I had to have a damn good tidy up and fix the problem once and for all. But that was too ambitious, so I failed and just damaged my confidence. Aspies are sometimes said to have a habit of tackling problems full-on, which can be advantageous for problems that can be solved in an hour or two, but not when applied to tidying my home. Even tidying up one room would likely be too much.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 4:25 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
A couple of rules I try to apply, with some success, are:

1. Don't let it get any worse (make that a way of life, and anything else is a permanent bonus).

2. Do a little bit to make it better now and then.

The mistake I often used to make was to decide I had to have a damn good tidy up and fix the problem once and for all. But that was too ambitious, so I failed and just damaged my confidence. Aspies are sometimes said to have a habit of tackling problems full-on, which can be advantageous for problems that can be solved in an hour or two, but not when applied to tidying my home. Even tidying up one room would likely be too much.

Good advice. Yes. I tend to be all or nothing. Not sure if I am an aspie or not.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 8:51 pm

so far i have avoided leaving any more dirty dishes piled up, and also my stovetop has remained clear except for food prep [no other horizontal surface in my tin can]. my back door is still clear and i can see out the window now. no more goat paths :D

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 9:04 pm

It's a constant battle in my head between wanting to get things despite the executive dysfunction and the OCD like behavior that's disturbed by the chaotic mess. I have seen other aspies where the mess wins out big time :lol:.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 9:20 pm

CarlM wrote:
It's a constant battle in my head between wanting to get things despite the executive dysfunction and the OCD like behavior that's disturbed by the chaotic mess. I have seen other aspies where the mess wins out big time :lol:.

there was a member of my aspie meetup group that had to move in a hurry, some of us volunteered to go to their place and help 'em clean up and pack and move stuff to their new place. it was very hot and sticky and i felt like yesterday's $#!+ warmed over at the end of it, like a wet sewer rat. but i had the satisfaction of helping a fellow aspie, one of the few times i was actually able to help another human being. it made me feel better about my own hoarding situation.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 4:48 pm

I'm like that too. I'm only organized about things that interest me.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 7:50 pm

CarlM wrote:

I have precisely that dichotomy in my mind.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"