Haley Moss on Britney Spear’s Conservatorship

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 7:10 am

Haley Moss is the first openly Autistic lawyer in Florida
Britney Spears's Conservatorship Is a Disability Rights Issue That Deserves More Attention

Quote:
Much has been speculated about Britney’s mental health, including that she has bipolar disorder, a mental health disability and form of neurodivergence characterized by shifts in moods, energy and activity levels, and ability to perform day-to-day tasks. We don’t know her specific diagnoses, nor do they really matter. What we do know is that she is one of an estimated 1.5 million adults under a conservatorship or guardianship, according to AARP. According to the ACLU, people only end up under conservatorships if they are assessed as having some type of disability, making Britney’s case a disability rights issue.

Under conservatorship, disabled adults face restrictions on a wide variety of rights: Where they live, when and where they work, money management, and healthcare decisions. Conservatorships are often thought of as something that only happens to elderly people who can no longer care for themselves, people with terminal illnesses, or for people like me, who are diagnosed with autism or other intellectual and developmental disabilities. Because of the sensitive nature, proceedings relating to conservatorship are often private and confidential.

That was the case for Britney up until June 23, when we heard her testimony that she was put on medications she didn't want to be on, was unable to marry her boyfriend, and wasn't allowed to remove her IUD when she wanted to get pregnant. All of this is horrifying, but it also illustrates the lack of self-determination and agency disabled adults face under conservatorships, typically without the public batting an eye.

Sometimes I think about how, as an autistic person, I am extremely lucky that guardianship was not part of my adult life. I was once non-speaking and it was unclear what kind of support I would need as an adult. The support I needed as a little kid is not the same I needed as a college student, nor is that the same as the support I can use in my post-schooling life.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 9:58 am

I remember her outbreak in 2008 and then her dad had legal guardianship over her. Now she wants to be her own guardian again. But I read the only way she can get that back is if she can prove she is fit now. Reminds me when my parents had to jump through hoops to get me put into mainstream full time at school. They had to prove I didn't belong in self contained classes by taking me to a medical professional and him giving me tests. Even the school psychologist gave me tests too. Britney is doing to have to do the same too but how can she if she isn't her own boss?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.